Do you carry a pistol for bear when elk hunting???

Painbow, you can get hard hitters in small form factors that are light and easy to carry. Look into a 357 mag in a j frame. Can be had in an 11 ounce or so gun. Or a 3" barrel stainless j frame or ruger equivalent. My 3 inch with handloads is a pretty shootable gun, but very powerful, way more than any factory loads in a 6 or 8 inch gun.

Or a 10mm in a subcompact (glock 29).

And also dont rule out a small 9mm with hardcast in it either.

Also a good chest holster like alien gear makes the weight so easy to carry its negligible.

Anywhere you're hiking other humans can hike too. Heck if nothing else I'd take a aluminum j frame 38 or small 9mm like a glock 43 just to deal with any humans with ill intent and not 4 legged predators

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet. If you're bow hunting, you likely have a release hanging off your wrist atleast part of the time, that will really get in the way trying to draw a pistol quickly.

I've had a gun on my side for the last 4 days. I don't even go pee without it......and I have an archery bear license!

Attachments

• F9A47232A66742658BCF603D7FCB4D70.jpg
    F9A47232A66742658BCF603D7FCB4D70.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 29988BCD83124AC480850C458D0F47ED.jpg
    29988BCD83124AC480850C458D0F47ED.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 36
I have bear spray and a pistol (10mm)
Believe I read somewhere majority of people attacked by bears that used spray to defend end up without series injury while people that used or tried to use a pistol end up with injuries? Either way. I feel better with the pistol in arms reach for sure!

I was just curious how many people carry a pistol when elk hunting to use as bear defense. I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana this year and the land owner has sent me several pictures of bear on his ranch.

Has anyone ever tried to hunt bear near an elk carcass after killing an elk???
I always carry my pistol while archery hunting. Both for bears and lions.

I picked up some hardcast +p rounds for my 9mm. First day in the woods in my tree last week a sow black bear and 3 cubs came by within 50 yards of my stand. Very happy I did not procrastinate buying the hardcast. Also very glad I would have 15 rounds before reloading...

I was just curious how many people carry a pistol when elk hunting to use as bear defense. I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana this year and the land owner has sent me several pictures of bear on his ranch.

Has anyone ever tried to hunt bear near an elk carcass after killing an elk???
Yup! I hunt in bear dense areas in MT it pretty much just part of life around here

Amazing the number of guys that I see carrying a pistol while archery hunting elk in Colorado.

This year I asked one of the guys what he carried a pistol for, and he said mountain lions, bears and meth heads. I chuckled and said I have only seen a couple of those on the mountain, but I always did want to see a Colorado lion. lol We had a good laugh at that.

From everything I've read, all is entirely dependent on how close in proximity an encounter happens. You may not have time to resort with either sidearm or spray. In griz country, best steer clear of heavy cover if at all possible.

I picked up some hardcast +p rounds for my 9mm. First day in the woods in my tree last week a sow black bear and 3 cubs came by within 50 yards of my stand. Very happy I did not procrastinate buying the hardcast. Also very glad I would have 15 rounds before reloading...
You must gave bought some Buffalo Bore? I bought some for myself, only for my Ryger Vaquero in .45LC. It's a Pre-2005 Vaquero. They make it pretty clear on their website to NOT shoot their +P ammo in the newer Vaqueros. Shot 2 of them last week at about 10 yards. WOW is all I can say. Much much more powerful than a 44 mag. I got the 300 grain flat nose. Now when I carry my 7mm Rem Mag, that rifle has much more knockdown power than any handgun.

Stupid waste of energy packing a heavy revolver with only 6 shots. Watch a couple survival stories and one will realize 6 ain’t cutting it unless you’re extremely talented or extremely lucky. Better off shooting 5 and saving one for yourself.
You been reading “the road” by cormac mccarthy?

I live in NW Montana and always pack my 44 with me everytime I’m out. The one time I didn’t I had a bull moose charge me.

You been reading “the road” by cormac mccarthy?
Negative. But I believe it to be true. I watched a dudes interview years ago, here in Montana putting like 8-11 rounds into a griz starting from something like 3’ away and i wanna say he only hit the bear maybe 3-4 times thankfully some lethal shots. He said in the interview if he’d had a six-shooter, he would have been bear food since he fired over double or triple the number of shots he’d actually hit the bear with…

Don’t quote any of these numbers, it’s just the premise and its been some years since I watched the interview.

I have said and will say again, I believe the spray first will protect me. Nothing on earth would like to get hit with that in the face at close range, trust me…

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back