PEAX Equipment

How early do I need to book a trip?

Dave N

Going back to Alaska next May and want to do some Salmon fishing and maybe Halibut. How soon do I need to get a booking made? I sent a request online for some info to an outfit recommended to me but no reply after a week. May have to call them. Any thoughts on timing for a fishing trip reservation?

I book as early as I can.
Then I spend time trying to figure out where to eat, sleep, travel. get rentals, etc.

I have had terrible luck getting charter companies to return phone calls or emails. Like they are busy enough and don't give a rip. Pretty frustrating. Leaving in 10 days and can't get anyone to do a Halibut trip for the wife and I. They all want 4 per boat, and seem to want to push the salmon fishing instead. I assume because it is easier for them,.. burn less fuel, troll with rods rigged by the mate and put in the holders, take turns reeling them in. Pretty simple guiding business. I used to guide here so I understand business-wise what they are trying to do, but still irritating that they won't at least return calls or emails. Maybe you will have better luck after the summer tourist season is over and they are hungry again.

Back