Hey ya'll. New guy from south Georgia, soon to be DIY hunting out of Ennis, MT.

Lol! Nope, not in the market for ranches, just grinding it out and making memories... Although I think it would be interesting to get a few guys together and go in on that Jack Creek ranch, ski Big Sky and hunt the Lee Metcalf, surprised its still on the market. Maybe that's the one you're brokering ;)

Lol! Nope, not in the market for ranches, just grinding it out and making memories... Although I think it would be interesting to get a few guys together and go in on that Jack Creek ranch, ski Big Sky and hunt the Lee Metcalf, surprised its still on the market. Maybe that's the one you're brokering ;)
I'm not brokering shit, but the nice folks on the CB ranch would probably sell you their place for 20mil, if they haven't adjusted for inflation yet.

who’s place is it in ennis? You leasing something? Family’s owned it awhile? Just bought it to have a base camp to hunt out west? How you know you’ll have elk tags and need buddies if you’re a NR? I’m in the area, sort of, but not keen to helping a NR get something I’ve tried hard for as a local for nearly a decade… I can put you on a cow elk! 😉😊

who’s place is it in ennis? You leasing something? Family’s owned it awhile? Just bought it to have a base camp to hunt out west? How you know you’ll have elk tags and need buddies if you’re a NR? I’m in the area, sort of, but not keen to helping a NR get something I’ve tried hard for as a local for nearly a decade… I can put you on a cow elk! 😉😊

Hey thanks for the reply. Cabin been in the family for 20ish years. I've been out a few times during the summer, and dream of coming out in the fall. I realize Montana makes it very difficult for NR. We'd be almost as happy to just scout with no intent to harvest anything, until the year comes we get a tag. Our target is not only elk. We would love to hunt any of the others; whitetail, pronghorn, muleys, cow elk. As I've mentioned, especially as a NR, its a journey, and I'm going to grind it out, and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

Hunted south of Ennis several years back. Some pretty country. Plenty of elk. I would suggest you make friends with someone with stock especially for the Madison range or planning on backpacking in and staying a few days. Gravelly side, good luck. Mine as well pave those roads, it’s in sane how many people flock there. Good luck. Oh, you may want to become familiar with bear spray. A few have been known to hang around that area. lol.

It’s really no secret. Find a trail head where you can access public land and spend as many days as you can hiking as far as you can from that trail head and spend peak hunting hours of dawn and dusk in the woods.

Carry binoculars and be bear aware.

Most folks ( me included) who welcome the grind of elk hunting that area get ground down. There’s the potential for a fellow to walk further than he has legs and back to get a dead elk back to the truck.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm trying to get a game plan together now re tags, target units, and limited entry units, understanding draw odds, etc... Your advice regarding the ranges around the valley lines up with what I've found so far. Thank you!

It’s really no secret. Find a trail head where you can access public land and spend as many days as you can hiking as far as you can from that trail head and spend peak hunting hours of dawn and dusk in the woods.

Carry binoculars and be bear aware.

Most folks ( me included) who welcome the grind of elk hunting that area get ground down. There’s the potential for a fellow to walk further than he has legs and back to get a dead elk back to the truck.
Hey thanks for the reply. Thanks for the advice. I agree setting proper expectations and being realistic about physical abilities, safety risks, pain/comfort levels, etc. is critical. Yeah, regarding being realistic and accountable for ones self and abilities... I was talking to a buddy who hunts Colorado and he ran into a situation... He was a group of 3 who have been hunting together for years. One of his buddies had Covid, realizing it the day they set up a back country camp for a couple nights. The sick guy didn't want to leave. The other two knew the risk of keeping him in camp, like getting the two healthy guys sick, unable to pack camp or game out, ruining the trip for everyone, etc. Sounded like it almost came to blows! Anyway, they finally convinced him and they ended up spending the day dealing with getting the Covid guy out of there, and then went on with their hunt. Turns out the sick guy struggled hiking out, and became increasingly grateful to his two buddies who helped prevent a worse scenario from playing out. It was just a reminder to me, of the accountability we must have when hunting together, being mindful of the human element, and we can't control a lot of what goes on around us, "plan for the worst-hope for the best"!

Hey thanks for the reply. Thanks for the advice. I agree setting proper expectations and being realistic about physical abilities, safety risks, pain/comfort levels, etc. is critical. Yeah, regarding being realistic and accountable for ones self and abilities... I was talking to a buddy who hunts Colorado and he ran into a situation... He was a group of 3 who have been hunting together for years. One of his buddies had Covid, realizing it the day they set up a back country camp for a couple nights. The sick guy didn't want to leave. The other two knew the risk of keeping him in camp, like getting the two healthy guys sick, unable to pack camp or game out, ruining the trip for everyone, etc. Sounded like it almost came to blows! Anyway, they finally convinced him and they ended up spending the day dealing with getting the Covid guy out of there, and then went on with their hunt. Turns out the sick guy struggled hiking out, and became increasingly grateful to his two buddies who helped prevent a worse scenario from playing out. It was just a reminder to me, of the accountability we must have when hunting together, being mindful of the human element, and we can't control a lot of what goes on around us, "plan for the worst-hope for the best"!
Don’t let the responses here discourage you. There are elk to hunt down the Madison on public during the season. You’ll have to work a little and figure it out but it doesn’t take a miracle to kill an elk down there. I wouldn’t expect success your first year but keep after it and you’ll find elk. You’ll hear a lot of guys say that you need to hike in deep and spend the day covering country. That may or may not be a good option depending on where you are. I’ve spent a lot of time in that country sitting on glassing knobs at daylight watching guys walk past elk as they push into deeper country. Have good optics and be willing to slow down and glass. I only got one day to rifle elk hunt this year as I had other hunts with more priority, but I hiked into a spot that I’ve hunted a bunch in the past; I was there in the dark and had three legal bulls in rifle range at daylight but nothing that exciting. That country can be great. You’ll see some people but many of them are just hikers packing a rifle.

Hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice. Yeah, luckily we've got some killer spotting scopes ready to glass. Growing up hunting in the south, I'm pretty used to sitting, looking over a few acres, and not seeing anything for hours or even all day. So, to mix it up with being able look over miles of country, and hike from glassing spot to glassing spot, is right up our alley!

Hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice. Yeah, luckily we've got some killer spotting scopes ready to glass. Growing up hunting in the south, I'm pretty used to sitting, looking over a few acres, and not seeing anything for hours or even all day. So, to mix it up with being able look over miles of country, and hike from glassing spot to glassing spot, is right up our alley!
Consider getting at least a mile or two away from the trailhead; and, off the trail and set up where you can glass a couple different draws. Consider leaving the TH before sun up so your in position at first light. Having said that: What I have always done, either by 1. hiking/wondering around in the daylight to find a probable spot to glass; or 2. use goggle earth to locate a spot, then go to it during daylight hours. Once you have found "that" spot in the day, you should be comfortable to hike in before sun up. In CO, where I live, I'll try and scout new places before archery or in between seasons. Even during the September rut, I will hike out to scout, look and listen to the bugling, as long as I'm not interfering with hunters. You can do this when you're in MT and not drawn. Learning the country before you have the tag, then you'll be ready.

Consider getting at least a mile or two away from the trailhead; and, off the trail and set up where you can glass a couple different draws. Consider leaving the TH before sun up so your in position at first light. Having said that: What I have always done, either by 1. hiking/wondering around in the daylight to find a probable spot to glass; or 2. use goggle earth to locate a spot, then go to it during daylight hours. Once you have found "that" spot in the day, you should be comfortable to hike in before sun up. In CO, where I live, I'll try and scout new places before archery or in between seasons. Even during the September rut, I will hike out to scout, look and listen to the bugling, as long as I'm not interfering with hunters. You can do this when you're in MT and not drawn. Learning the country before you have the tag, then you'll be ready.
Hey thanks for the reply. And the advice. Yes, I think the escouting and the approach you describe will work out well in that area for my son and I. My son loves the 'audible' stuff when it comes to hunting and interacting with wildlife. He just picked up some new turkey calls the other day, was driving my wife crazy in the house :)

Hey thanks for the reply. And the advice. Yes, I think the escouting and the approach you describe will work out well in that area for my son and I. My son loves the 'audible' stuff when it comes to hunting and interacting with wildlife. He just picked up some new turkey calls the other day, was driving my wife crazy in the house :)
If you're able to visit the area during the rut and hear the bugles that will hook your son for life. I wish I knew that area, but I'm afraid I can't be more specific. Go a little easy on the resident hunters, a lot of them become real shy when it comes to their hunting grounds. Good luck my friend!

Welcome!
Hunted the area for over 40 years. Not as it used to be but not near as bad as some say it is. The wolves have been the biggest displaced of the Elk in my opinion. Lots of Elk in that area. We pull a couple of Bulls out almost every year. Got to get away from people and roads. It can be done. FYI- All of our elk come out on our backs.

If you're able to visit the area during the rut and hear the bugles that will hook your son for life. I wish I knew that area, but I'm afraid I can't be more specific. Go a little easy on the resident hunters, a lot of them become real shy when it comes to their hunting grounds. Good luck my friend!
I drive my wife crazy with my bull and cow calls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back