Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hey ya'll. New guy from south Georgia, soon to be DIY hunting out of Ennis, MT.

Hey guys. I live in Georgia, and looking for DIY hunting buddies interested in hunting Southwest Montana, Region 3. To start, my teenage son and I are doing the research and planning now, with hopes to include my wife, other teenage son, and daughter in the future, and hope to make new memories over the next several years in and around Ennis, MT. I can bring the following to the table; winterized base camp/log cabin off 287 in Ennis MT, four wheelers, 4wd pickup, etc. Looking for you to bring knowledge of Region 3 spot/stalk hunting, expertise in scouting for whitetails, muleys, and elk, plus??? Lots of great content here! I look forward to being a part of the group!
Beautiful country but very tough overcrowded hunting. Enjoy your trip

Hunted there once. The BMA south of town is good if you can get on it. That is some Steep country, those 4 wheelers won’t help you much at all. You need to be in shape.

Hunted there once. The BMA south of town is good if you can get on it. That is some Steep country, those 4 wheelers won’t help you much at all. You need to be in shape.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, from the south we don't hike as much country while 'big game' hunting, so looking forward to the exercise!

Been hunting Montana as a NR for just about 30 years. Most of it between Livingston and the Park or out in the CMR. Hunted around Ennis the last couple of years as well, more time since retiring. Beautiful country, trailheads are crowded but if you get away from there it's ok. Good luck sounds like a good plan. You up in Shining Mountain?

Probably wont get a lot of people wanting to help you, unfortunately. Hunting pressure in that area feels gross to me during rifle - i wont go back.

Wish you all the best!

I can tell you this - if you are looking for the experience of hunting like youve seen on youtube, read on social media, etc. it doesnt much exist anymore... Its going to be tough to get an elk. Not trying to be a debbie downer - but the success rates are much lower with western hunting than what you might be used to.

Last edited:
Been hunting Montana as a NR for just about 30 years. Most of it between Livingston and the Park or out in the CMR. Hunted around Ennis the last couple of years as well, more time since retiring. Beautiful country, trailheads are crowded but if you get away from there it's ok. Good luck sounds like a good plan. You up in Shining Mountain?
Thanks for the reply. Next to Shining Mountain in Virginia City Ranches.

Probably wont get a lot of people wanting to help you, unfortunately. Hunting pressure in that area feels gross to me during rifle - i wont go back.

Wish you all the best!

I can tell you this - if you are looking for the experience of hunting like youve seen on youtube, read on social media, etc. it doesnt much exist anymore... Its going to be tough to get an elk. Not trying to be a debbie downer - but the success rates are much lower with western hunting than what you might be used to.
Thanks for the reply. Not looking for the youtube experience. I hunt public land in Georgia too, so I understand where you're coming from. As weird as it may sound, I actually look forward to grinding it out, and the hiking and spot/stalk part of western hunting. Here in the south, I may walk a mile or so (usually swampy and in the dark), and then sit for a few hours usually staring at only a few acres of land, and walk a mile or so back, its fairly flat and an uninteresting walk (compared to hiking, glassing, mountain ridges and drainages). But I do like to set my expectations low enough so that I don't get too disappointed. Thanks again.

Yeah, that's what I hear. Hoping to scout and learn more about the game migration routes around the Madison Valley, and be able to be in the right place at the right time...
Not really much to learn unless you can buy the ranch, and if you're in the pay bracket I know of a ranch that's for sale for a modest sum (relatively speaking) and can have you a phone number tonight at your leisure.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back