MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Here's a thought-provoking article... Hunting While Black

I've been a frequent lurker over the past few years but after reading the link and some of the commentary here, I felt the need to chime in. As a black man in his thirties, I hope I can provide some balanced insight. Like most polarizing issues in this country (or controversial threads on this site), reality tends to lie somewhere in the middle.

I think it's unfortunate that Mr. Hall is allowing his skin tone to act as a limitation, whether it's in regards to the hills he's hunting or in his professional/social life. There are undoubtedly vile, hateful people still lurking in this country. Bigotry and prejudice are alive and well. I can recall a handful of uncomfortable, although benign interactions in remote/rural locations over the past 10 years. Normally it's just an uneasy interaction based preconceived stereotypes or unkind words, sometimes is freshly chewed gum sticking to the side of your truck. I never feel unsafe in the field but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind when I set off alone into the mountains. There will always be people who see me as a "black hunter" rather than just a hunter. For some, my skin color makes me unwelcome on a two track.

Despite those things, I will never let anyone prevent me from enjoying my God-given freedoms as an American. Exploring "The Bob" or the Wind River Range is my birthright and I'd be a fool to let anyone tell me otherwise. And to the contrary of the article, I have found that most people, regardless of color are good people. Especially the hunters, anglers and ranchers I meet in the field. It would take forever to recall all the kind strangers who I have interacted with over the years- offering help to change a flat in a tough spot, pointing me in the right direction while afield or allowing me access to their creek behind the fence. Racism still exists, if you deny that, you're fooling yourself but when you choose to dwell on it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

One last thing. I'm sure that Greenhorn meant to bring levity to the post, unfortunately, he missed the mark. It's encouraging to see dialogue about race on this platform and his photo distracts from the conversation. Much like the author comment on reparations. While I believe it was meant to be in tongue--in-cheek, it fell flat.

Reactions: stk
I've been a frequent lurker over the past few years but after reading the link and some of the commentary here, I felt the need to chime in. As a black man in his thirties, I hope I can provide some balanced insight. Like most polarizing issues in this country (or controversial threads on this site), reality tends to lie somewhere in the middle.

I think it's unfortunate that Mr. Hall is allowing his skin tone to act as a limitation, whether it's in regards to the hills he's hunting or in his professional/social life. There are undoubtedly vile, hateful people still lurking in this country. Bigotry and prejudice are alive and well. I can recall a handful of uncomfortable, although benign interactions in remote/rural locations over the past 10 years. Normally it's just an uneasy interaction based preconceived stereotypes or unkind words, sometimes is freshly chewed gum sticking to the side of your truck. I never feel unsafe in the field but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind when I set off alone into the mountains. There will always be people who see me as a "black hunter" rather than just a hunter. For some, my skin color makes me unwelcome on a two track.

Despite those things, I will never let anyone prevent me from enjoying my God-given freedoms as an American. Exploring "The Bob" or the Wind River Range is my birthright and I'd be a fool to let anyone tell me otherwise. And to the contrary of the article, I have found that most people, regardless of color are good people. Especially the hunters, anglers and ranchers I meet in the field. It would take forever to recall all the kind strangers who I have interacted with over the years- offering help to change a flat in a tough spot, pointing me in the right direction while afield or allowing me access to their creek behind the fence. Racism still exists, if you deny that, you're fooling yourself but when you choose to dwell on it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

One last thing. I'm sure that Greenhorn meant to bring levity to the post, unfortunately, he missed the mark. It's encouraging to see dialogue about race on this platform and his photo distracts from the conversation. Much like the author comment on reparations. While I believe it was meant to be in tongue--in-cheek, it fell flat.

Amazing first post, welcome.

Well said. I hope you become a routine contributor to HT.

Saranac84. Thank you so much for chiming in. We all have so much to learn. Myself included. I hope to hear more from you on Hunt Talk in the future, and hope to meet you on the trail before long. Here's to a future where these topics will be obsolete and ALL people will be free to enjoy the Great Outdoors.

What point are you trying to make with your ridiculous comment and picture. Are you honestly on a thread discussing race and hunting and drawing an equivalency to you having black camo paint on your face?! You are the kind of garbage that keeps difficult discussions from progressing. If I ran this site you would be banned immediately!!

That's probably why you don't run the site. Next.

Yep.

Saranac, Welcome. I am delighted to know that my off-color humor is equally offensive to all.

Be thankful that you only got bubblegum on your truck. My vehicle has been vandalized at trailheads with much worse - but probably not because of my Scandinavian decent. It was more likely my douchbaggery. :D

One of the best posts I’ve read here in a long time. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful and well articulated perspective.

At some point we got to get past skin color and treat people the way we would want to be treated. After all we all are created in the image of God.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Subjects like this never make for easy conversation but hopefully healthy dialogue can exist when we work from the middle.

And BigHornRam, I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in both the Bob and the Winds. Beautiful and rugged country but I'll always be most connected to the little watersheds cutting through sagebrush country, where my attention wanders from trout to mulies depending on the season.

I thought it was an interesting article. Perspective is a fascinating thing. I thought the author was a little dramatic, perhaps. But I'm not black so what do I know about his experiences. I couldn't help but notice he immediately pre-judged the family with a "blue lives matter" bumper sticker. And toward the end when there really wasn't any outright racism to discuss he went for "microaggressions"... Ok. To an extent I also got the feeling he'd spent the past several years looking for reasons to justify his own insecurities. But ultimately, just gotta say, welcome to the greatest way of life there is - hunting. Regardless of how you got here, you clearly have passion for it and that makes you a friend.

I have a friend who happens to be black and gay. One of the coolest guys you'll meet, but it breaks my heart for the racist bullshit he goes through. The guy drives a Lexus SUV, wears jeans that cost more than Sitka raingear, and told me one day how embarrassed he was that he forgot his cufflinks. And people still cross the street when they see him coming.

His life experience is so vastly different from mine that I'm constantly amazed at what he goes through. I don't tolerate well the snowflake mentality nowadays, but I had no idea of the real racism that still exists. It's terrible and needs to stop.

On a lighter note... When he moved here to Utah, he went up the canyon to hike for the first time and saw a generic USFS sign warning about the dangers of mountain lions. He got so scared he got in his car and has never been back. I told him it was okay because mountain lions don't like dark meat :) Clearly, I don't think he'll be much of a hunter, though he does have his concealed permit so he gets props for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Subjects like this never make for easy conversation but hopefully healthy dialogue can exist when we work from the middle.

And BigHornRam, I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in both the Bob and the Winds. Beautiful and rugged country but I'll always be most connected to the little watersheds cutting through sagebrush country, where my attention wanders from trout to mulies depending on the season.

Cool! Welcome and may you continue to enjoy our public lands Saranac!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back