Hello, Big Fin Randy could you talk to Howa about making a few Randy Newberg Signature Rifles in Left-Handed ?

The request is made many times each year. Unfortunately, Howa doesn't make left-handed models. Sorry.

It's weird how there almost seems to be a price range in which left-handed models are made. They are available in the more budget Ruger American and Remington 700, then you have Tikka, and then companies produced them for there highest in models that cost $2000+ I was pretty disappointed that none of the HOWA 1500 were left-handed after watching one of Rnayds videos.

It's basic economics.Left-handed individuals make up 10% of the population and that's a wickedly small market to try and hit when that market is already pretty well covered, as noted above.

If you don't have enough demand for a product or the ease of manufacturing, why make it? Ruger, Tikka, etc are all relatively large companies with in-house production and can make those actions economically and since there are only a handful of left-handed actions, it fits the market easily. Higher end makes sense. You're willing to pay a premium for a hand-fitted, semi-custom rifle, so the extra cost of the tooling or sourcing of the action is financially worth it for the manufacturer. As someone who would like to purchase a left-handed Howa, it sucks. But those are the rules of capitalism.

It's weird how there almost seems to be a price range in which left-handed models are made. They are available in the more budget Ruger American and Remington 700, then you have Tikka, and then companies produced them for there highest in models that cost $2000+ I was pretty disappointed that none of the HOWA 1500 were left-handed after watching one of Rnayds videos.

Honestly the stock for the Randy how is fairly ambidextrous, so I don't really mind. I actually have with a Right action- left-handed stock for my current rifle, and I think for my next gun I will just get something the Randy rifle/Tikka/ etc that ambidextrous.

What really drives me nuts are companies like weatheryby that offer left handed versions of there Mark V backcountry that have an ambidextrous stock but then don't offer a left-handed version of their Mark-V, which I would argue has such an aggressive cheekpiece that it makes it almost impossible for someone to shoot it lefthanded.

Mark V® Backcountry
3 options for LH Rifles
1586186490449.png
Mark V® Deluxe
1586186601081.png

It's basic economics.Left-handed individuals make up 10% of the population and that's a wickedly small market to try and hit when that market is already pretty well covered, as noted above.

If you don't have enough demand for a product or the ease of manufacturing, why make it? Ruger, Tikka, etc are all relatively large companies with in-house production and can make those actions economically and since there are only a handful of left-handed actions, it fits the market easily. Higher end makes sense. You're willing to pay a premium for a hand-fitted, semi-custom rifle, so the extra cost of the tooling or sourcing of the action is financially worth it for the manufacturer. As someone who would like to purchase a left-handed Howa, it sucks. But those are the rules of capitalism.

Totally agree, though it's funny because in my circle of friends only 1 person shoots right handed.

A good many of us. Some companies are just flat against producing LH. I gave up long ago contacting rifle mfg. Just buy a Tikka, Savage, or Browning. They offer plenty of LH options.

So does Remington and Weatherby. Got my first Rem 700 BDL in .30-06 LH in 1975 IIRC. You can also buy LH Rem 700 actions.

They pretty much use the same actions for the top of the line as they do for the bottom. Making the stocks might be more costly than the actions. Or maybe they measure regular production and pick out the best for the custom gun like Shilen would do for match and select match barrels. Then again a properly set up, operated and maintained NC machine should produce equal products.

Some time back I was at a BIG farm supply store down the road and without even trying I found 3 LH Savage 110 rifles on the rack.

In the Howa, they only make right-handed. I've yet to see a Weatherby Vanguard (same action as the Howa) in left-handed. They do offer both in the Mark V, which is an entirely different action.

Those customs require more hand-fitting, polishing, etc, so I'd assume they'd take a basic casting or forged receiver and go from there. It's the fit & finish along w/performance you're purchasing when you get into the custom/semi-custom game.

So more than likely, it comes to your last point - why set up, train & operate a production line for something that has low demand?

I know this is slightly different, but why are left-handed bows so much easier to find than rifles?

Also, wllm1313 certain companies offer really nice left-handed rifles like Christensen Arms, but don't offer many calibers.

I know this is slightly different, but why are left-handed bows so much easier to find than rifles?
Likely because a LH rifle shooter can get buy with a RH rifle, not so much with archery. Too many LH rifle shooters just buy a RH rifle and deal with it, making the market even less than the 10% as stated above.

That said, and IME, if folks were to truly look at their eye dominance and not their hand dominance, there'd be a larger market than 10% for LH firearms. Both my boys are strongly RH dominant, but both are also strongly left eye dominant. I taught them to shoot LH (thank you NERF) and I will only buy them LH rifles; if just for the safety aspect of it.

Likely because a LH rifle shooter can get buy with a RH rifle, not so much with archery. Too many LH rifle shooters just buy a RH rifle and deal with it, making the market even less than the 10% as stated above.

That said, and IME, if folks were to truly look at their eye dominance and not their hand dominance, there'd be a larger market than 10% for LH firearms. Both my boys are strongly RH dominant, but both are also strongly left eye dominant. I taught them to shoot LH (thank you NERF) and I will only buy them LH rifles; if just for the safety aspect of it.

I am the exact same way cross-eye dominant

That's what I've always wondered. Aren't rifles designed to release away from the shooters face if anything were to ever fail?

I don’t know how a bolt or pump action would fair, but as a LH my complain with some RH automatics is crap getting in my right eye if both eyes open. Aside from my AK is a rare minor inconvenience. I imagine if there was an incident like the time my brother had a .270 round mixed in his 7mag the damage could be worse.

That's what I've always wondered. Aren't rifles designed to release away from the shooters face if anything were to ever fail?
Many are designed for gases to go down the bolt raceway and away from the shooter due to the bolt shroud, which would be into the face of a LH shooter shooting a RH rifle. Then there's there's the aspect of things going in front of your face as mentioned. I did buy a Ithaca 20ga for the boys to use, but they eject out the bottom.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back