Caribou Gear Tarp

HB149, WY NR's get your wallets out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stated in my non-replied to email that I believed the extra money they would make might be offset by people who were discouraged from or stopped buying points every year. e.g. I've been blindly dumping $120 into WY for 7 years...it's easy and it's an investment in my hunting future. If that investment were to turn sucky and/or more expensive perhaps people would stop investing or never start...

I too sent emails to all of the address provided. ( I did get one reply from Eric Barlow that stated "Thanks for your thoughts. I too have reservations about this proposal.")
My main point is that I bring my wife and 2 daughters to WY every year. I buy 4 antelope tags, and hopefully some deer tags soon. It's expensive, but it's a great family experience. If this change goes through and regular tags are harder to get we won't get to go to WY every year like we are now. I can not financially justify Special tags for all 4 of us so that we can all hunt together. In the end if I only go to WY every other year on special tags versus every year on regular tags I would end up leaving much less money in WY. My other main point was that we need to keep kids and families involved in hunting and outdoor sports. My daughter has chosen a career in the fisheries/wildlife field because of our experiences afield.

Keep pounding them with emails...they do read them.

I had some conversations with some Senators/Representatives last night about this issue. The emails are making a difference, even if you don't get a reply back.

I too sent emails to all of the address provided. ( I did get one reply from Eric Barlow that stated "Thanks for your thoughts. I too have reservations about this proposal.")
My main point is that I bring my wife and 2 daughters to WY every year. I buy 4 antelope tags, and hopefully some deer tags soon. It's expensive, but it's a great family experience. If this change goes through and regular tags are harder to get we won't get to go to WY every year like we are now. I can not financially justify Special tags for all 4 of us so that we can all hunt together. In the end if I only go to WY every other year on special tags versus every year on regular tags I would end up leaving much less money in WY. My other main point was that we need to keep kids and families involved in hunting and outdoor sports. My daughter has chosen a career in the fisheries/wildlife field because of our experiences afield.

If that is not a compelling explanation to these elected officials, then I suggest they were already bought and paid for.

I've contacted my reps, even though I'm a resident. I've been able to hunt with my non-resident dad/brothers/buddy in Wyoming for the last 7 years. Bumping it to a Special might limit those opportunities. At a time when recruitment and and some of the other issues are at the forefront, I hope they'll put the interests of 1 group on the back burner.
-Cade

I got no reply, but really didn't expect on either.

Done!

I am asking you all to reconsider changing the non-resident tag allotment to 40% regular draw/ 60% special draw. Many non-residents are experienced hunters that don’t require or can’t afford to hire outfitters. I also feel that having a higher percentage of more affordable tags available is a healthier, smarter approach for the future of hunting. Personally, I have taken four grown nephews on their first big game hunts in Wyoming in the last few years. These same nephews will eventually take their kids when they become of age. I also took my 87 year old father last year. This would not have been possible if we would have had to pay the higher fees. It would have priced the trips out of our reach. We are already planning our Wyoming trips for the next three seasons and look forward to seeing all the state has to offer.

Thank you for your consideration

Hopefully those that are apposed to the 60/40 deal will be willing to continue apposing legislation that is bound to appear in the coming years for increasing tag fees if this doesn't pass! I would also be prepared to battle special interest groups that back super raffle and other tags that look so attractive and bring revenue to the slumping WG&F revenue! It spooks me when hands are tied for Wyo res to help support WG&F renenue woes and nonres that appose the 60/40 split aren't willing to lend a hand as well! I guess the question is....where is this revenue going to come from in the future? I can guarantee it's going to be a battle keeping current nonres fees and nonres tag numbers in place! Some other group is likely going to come along that is willing to pick up the bill and there will likely be a loss of hunting opportunity for Wyo nonres DIY/OYO type hunters! I hope I don't have to say....."I told you so!"

I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before license fees will increase for both Wyo res and nonres...especially if the 60/40 deal doesn't pass, Take a look at some of the articles from the past 3 years. Most of the increases in tag fees proposed every year are from $50 to $200/tag!

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forum/wyoming-tag-fee-increases

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_66b111d9-f077-5a7c-a5eb-82ad9284ce69.html

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...cle_2f85839b-d463-5279-8c66-e780a75b5b9a.html

jims,

I honestly don't get your positions on these bills.

For starters, there's a lot more at stake here than just the price of a tag, and who is going to pay what...read what others have posted. You need to look down the road, these types of bills are creating a system of exclusion....not inclusion, when it comes to hunting opportunities and tag distribution. That's troubling on many levels.

I can assure you that over time, everything we do costs us more money, from buying a vehicle, rifle, houses, going to a movie, etc. etc. etc.

Most reasonable people realize and expect their license fees to increase over time, its always been the case. Why would the people opposing this bill not support a modest fee increase bill down the road? I paid $2 for my first deer and elk tags in Montana...I sure wouldn't expect to be paying the same price now in 2015.

As far as the super raffle battle you want to take on, that ship sailed a couple years ago, where were you?

As to your last question of where more revenue is going to come from, Governor Mead announced last night that he is appointing a task force to come up with alternative funding for the GF. He's committed to finding a solution.

I really don't get where you're coming from, you support a 60/40 split because it will raise revenue, and give YOU better draw odds, but then oppose an across the board fee increase and expect license fees to remain at 1950 prices???

Not seeing your logic.

Dear Members of the Committee,

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to HB149, which would allocate a higher percentage of NR hunting licenses into the special drawing pool. I attended the University of Wyoming, where I received a MS degree. During the time that I was there, my wife and I took full advantage of Wyoming's wonderful opportunities and resources.

I have worked as a state fish and wildlife employee since 1998 in Montana, and now Washington. During that time, I have witnessed a dramatic shift in non-resident license pricing structures. That shift has been a dramatic increase in non-resident pricing relative to resident pricing. I have always held that non-residents should pay more than a resident, and doing so is wise business marketing by a state to leverage its natural resources. However, a possibly unintended consequence to this pricing shift has been the slow elimination of the blue collar hunter.

I hunt various western states each year, but am limited by budgetary constraints. I am not alone in this regard. This is not a complaint, it is a reality when one factors in the cost of raising kids, college tuition, and so on.

What is Wyoming gaining by creating more of a tiered license price structure? It is merely providing more opportunity to those with more money, which is contrary to the North American model of wildlife management. It pains me to see hunting slowly evolve more and more into a rich man's sport. My family and I make sacrifices to allow us to hunt. It's part of our family tradition and we intend to pass this on to our kids.

I fully realize that you as Representatives of Wyoming are first and foremost focused on how to best help your constituents. That is what you are elected to do. However, I would urge you to think long and hard about what it is that you are trying to accomplish with this bill. If money is a concern, would it not be more equitable to levy an across the board increase on non-resident license pricing? Instead, what you are doing is taking opportunity away from the less affluent and quite possibly contributing to the furthered decline of hunter numbers across the nation.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Jims,

Run this through your mind several times. If the allocation changes to 60/40 for special/regular, with the expectation that $400k in additional funds come in, what do you think will happen if the special allocation doesn't fill? That money is being relied upon. Do you think it is going to be palatable that those tags go into the regular drawing?

As I've said earlier, tin foil hat or not, I see this as a move to advance towards more auction tags to make up budgetary shortfall.

The regular license applicants are going to pay a fee increase anyway, because now they will be buying more points to get the reduced number of tags. Why not just add $50 on every non-resident tag and call it good, without further screwing Joe Sixpack by cutting his tag allocation by 30%?

Why not scrap this whole tiered license BS and just increase an elk tag by $125? Now Joe Sixpack doesn't have to fight the point creep for the harder to draw tags. I hate special allocations for the better off. Not because I'm not one of the better off, but because it's philosophically wrong.

Why not scrap this whole tiered license BS and just increase an elk tag by $125? Now Joe Sixpack doesn't have to fight the point creep for the harder to draw tags. I hate special allocations for the better off. Not because I'm not one of the better off, but because it's philosophically wrong.

Here, here!

I claim to be an Ave Joe hunter that saves his butt off every year to apply and hopefully draw tags. I sacrifice and budget my income so I can afford to hunt Wyo as often as I can. I'm trying to figure out who exactly is excluded from budgeting and saving an addition few hundred bucks/year to apply for regular vs special tags. The difference between a regular and special antelope tag is $240. Divide $240 by 12 months and that's $20/month difference. I'm curious how many guys that are apposed to the 60/40 split are members of the Hunting Fool and Eastman's and fork out over $100/year for subscriptions? If you divide your Hunting Fool subscription by 12 that is almost 1/2 the difference between the 2 priced tags! I actually am not a membe of either and save that $ to go towards licenses. I am far from one of the "better off" people....I'm willing to save and budget wiselyl

I'm pretty sure when the WG&F first started the regular vs special price license deal there thinking wasn't that regular tags were for just ave joe hunters and special tags are only for the "better off" hunters. They didn't design this to exclude anyone! Their thoughts were that those that are willing to pay a little more for tags are possibly rewarded with a little better odds for drawing tags. That is exactly how I look at the system. I would venture a guess that a large chunk of hunters take a look at draw stats and apply for the type of tag that offers the best opportunity to draw tags? My thought is that if applying for special tags increases my chance for drawing...if I do happen to draw a special tag I will be contributing more to the WG&F. I may skimp and save all year long to do this! I think the statement that special allocations are for the better off is a bunch of hogwash! The price difference between the regular and special priced tags is a drop in the bucket compared to the money I spent in Wyoming this year on gas, hotels, and gear etc!

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple years ago dad and I kept track of all expenses for our antelope hunt. No gear but license, gas, food, and lodging. We were both in it about $650. Add the extra $240 for the special license and our cost rises 37%.

I kept track of the miles traveled and gas mileage this year and spent $750 just on fuel! You are right...it all adds up!

Randy, thank you for your letter to Wyoming game and fish. It does not surprise me that Wyoming guide and outfitter association is behind this bill as they are the same people who pushed to disallow nonresidents from hunting the wilderness areas. I hope this legislation dies and more people are given opportunity to hunt the beautiful state of Wyoming rather than it becoming an exclusive opportunity.....

I claim to be an Ave Joe hunter that saves his butt off every year to apply and hopefully draw tags. I sacrifice and budget my income so I can afford to hunt Wyo as often as I can. I'm trying to figure out who exactly is excluded from budgeting and saving an addition few hundred bucks/year to apply for regular vs special tags. The difference between a regular and special antelope tag is $240. Divide $240 by 12 months and that's $20/month difference. I'm curious how many guys that are apposed to the 60/40 split are members of the Hunting Fool and Eastman's and fork out over $100/year for subscriptions? If you divide your Hunting Fool subscription by 12 that is almost 1/2 the difference between the 2 priced tags! I actually am not a membe of either and save that $ to go towards licenses. I am far from one of the "better off" people....I'm willing to save and budget wiselyl

I'm pretty sure when the WG&F first started the regular vs special price license deal there thinking wasn't that regular tags were for just ave joe hunters and special tags are only for the "better off" hunters. They didn't design this to exclude anyone! Their thoughts were that those that are willing to pay a little more for tags are possibly rewarded with a little better odds for drawing tags. That is exactly how I look at the system. I would venture a guess that a large chunk of hunters take a look at draw stats and apply for the type of tag that offers the best opportunity to draw tags? My thought is that if applying for special tags increases my chance for drawing...if I do happen to draw a special tag I will be contributing more to the WG&F. I may skimp and save all year long to do this! I think the statement that special allocations are for the better off is a bunch of hogwash! The price difference between the regular and special priced tags is a drop in the bucket compared to the money I spent in Wyoming this year on gas, hotels, and gear etc!

No one is excluded from budgeting, that is not the point.

I have never bought a Huntin' Fool and never will, nor do I subscribe to Eastman's.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I hope you like the result 5-10 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back