Had a great opening weekend.....

ThndrChkn

Well after a couple of years of prodding, I was finally able to convince my daughter to hit the elk woods, she found out it just ain't the same as huntin deer... LOL!! But she also found out the reward is well worth the effort, as she scored on her first elk... On Sunday, the second day of our season here in Montana, we were both able to put the hammer on a bull... To make a long story short, we stumbled on a herd of many we'll say, on private land, and we were able to position ourselves above them on some State Land... After a couple of hours of watching them, I decided to try something a little more aggressive, so I popped my diaphragm in my mouth and started a series of calf in distress calls...

After about 10 min or so, one of the cows just couldn't stand it anymore and she came up that hill like she was on a lead rope... Then a few more, then a few more, and all of a sudden there was about 80 head on their way to the "Promised Land" the elk were standing at 640 yds initially, and when we shot ours, they were only about 70 yds!! Below are a few pics...

Last edited:
Those elk are so big I had to step back from my computer :D

I will have to try calling them off private land. I know where to try....

LOL!! I don't know why they're so big, I thought I resized them in my photo acct. I may have to go and check the settings again... I sent them from my iPhone cause my computer's down...

If you try calling, the cows seem to really respond to the calf distress calls... Around here they seem to be very protective and come running to check it out...

Congrats to both of you. Hope the road was close....never too fun with 2 elk down.

Congrats to both of you. Hope the road was close....never too fun with 2 elk down.

Well, the road was only about a 30 min hike when we walked in, but from the time the work started until we got back to the truck, was almost 8 hrs... I have a pretty nice homemade cart and it works well... We got 95% of it out in one trip ...

Love it. Especially that your daughter came out with you and was successful. Nothing will keep them coming back like those positive experiences. Congrats! Also, I don't really see any woods in those "elk woods" you referenced. :)

congrats to both of you on a successful hunt. nothing like bring the meat home. you must have had your work cut out for you with two elk down at once.

congrats to both of you on a successful hunt. nothing like bring the meat home. you must have had your work cut out for you with two elk down at once.

The work part wasn't bad really, cause all I do in these cases is split the hide up the spine & pull the backstraps, skin the front qtrs off, and leave the hind qtrs together and cut em off at the top of the hams... Load em on my cart and head for the truck ...

Thanks guys... As a lot of you probably know, as a parent out relationships with our kids is sometimes a little bumpy .... But one thing I can count on, is when huntin season rolls around, we get a lot closer and the times we spend together are priceless ...

They've grown up so fast... My daughter is 19, and my son is 20 (already)... He goes to school @ UM Western in Dillon, Mt. and plays football there too. So he doesn't get a lot of time to hunt... I will say, he was a little upset when I told him his sister hot an elk too... LOL!!

My daughter is still in transition mode after High School ... LOL!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back