Gratuitous Bird and Dog Photos

51657634388_4fa947bc09_z.jpg

For a guy who calls himself "flatcoat," that is really quite a dog.

Good guess on Charlo area then. You're right, Bowdoin and adjacent waterfowl production preserves. Also some other federal land and state WMAs on the Hi Line. Didn't hunt much besides Bowdoin this year. Lack of cover was a serious problem. Forget about BMAs. They were grazed bald. From what I could see there was only three or four days of waterfowl hunting on Bowdoin. The lake was nearly dried up and nothing migrated until it froze over. Hunting was all round messed up there for everything this year thanks to drought and management running a hundred pairs of cattle on the place. It's the hardest I've ever worked for birds.
I stopped at Bowdoin over the weekend. Didn’t see a single hunter or a rooster for the few miles I walked/drove around. Even got access to the BMA right below and didn’t see anything.

It's all ruffed grouse around home here in Michigan and in my travels to northern Maine.

Planning to go after blues within the next couple of years. Just researching now.

My English Pointers are 9yrs & 5yrs. The Llewellin in just over 2yrs. Future dogs will be Llewellins.

We band woodcock chicks in the spring here in Michigan.

Attachments

• 20211013_220210.jpg
    20211013_220210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211018_161328.jpg
    20211018_161328.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211020_111710.jpg
    20211020_111710.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210417_151057.jpg
    20210417_151057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I stopped at Bowdoin over the weekend. Didn’t see a single hunter or a rooster for the few miles I walked/drove around. Even got access to the BMA right below and didn’t see anything.
There's a neighboring BMA there now? That must be new. Formerly the only BMA around with pheasant habitat was a ways north of town and it wasn't worth the drive. Too dry. You shoulda PMed me. I could have put you on some birds I'm sure. Takes some work though.

@AlaskaHunter I had no idea sharpies were that far north!
Yes interior Alaska with frequent wildlfires.
Bigger than MT sharpies and usually in burns eating lignonberries until covered by snow.
Then they eat bog birch buds all winter long.
Alaska sharpies and ptarmigan go through big population highs and lows.

The Alaska Range does act as barrier as ruffed grouse and sharptails were historically only north of the range,
and rainbow trout, sockeye salmon, and other pacific species south of the range.
Interior Alaska was a refugia shrub steppe that was not glaciated during the Pleistocene.

We have no coots, herons, egrets, or white tailed deer in interior Alaska.
But we do have kingfishers, cranes, bats, and an occasional mule deer.
Juncos only in the summer, redpolls and chickadees year round that survive from -50F to 90F.

There's a neighboring BMA there now? That must be new. Formerly the only BMA around with pheasant habitat was a ways north of town and it wasn't worth the drive. Too dry. You shoulda PMed me. I could have put you on some birds I'm sure. Takes some work though.
Sent you a DM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back