Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Going to Wisconsin

Many parts of Wisconsin have too many deer. Seems like a nice problem to have but there are both biological and social carrying-capacities that have been exceeded. Hope that you fill all of those tags and have a fun hunt in Wisconsin!

Many parts of Wisconsin have too many deer. Seems like a nice problem to have but there are both biological and social carrying-capacities that have been exceeded. Hope that you fill all of those tags and have a fun hunt in Wisconsin!
MPW could make that a non issue.

well that i get. seems pretty low key though. letting us choose our county to hose a few does makes it seem like they don't actually care where we go and hose a few does so why make us specify and instead let us just report where said doe hosing occurred?
Yes there are quotas and they do get met in some. With your archery and gun license you get a free doe tag and you can select whatever county. Private or public. No quota. The additional and leftover quota then is first come first serve till sold out. You can buy a doe tag a day, no limit

I lied, holy crap when did this change. You get lots of free doe tags now...some with none...I'm still in a county with one per licence. Guess I don't know my own state that well out of my county...

Screenshot_20230822_163607_Chrome.jpg

There are 1400 private land bonus doe permits yet for my county. It's 20 bucks per for a non resident. You aren't out quite yet @TOGIE

they gave me 3 free ones with my buck tag!

and i'll probably already have a wyoming bull in the freezer

and a buck tag yet to hunt at home over thanksgiving!

if the DNR would hand out a free freezer per every 2 doe tags game on. otherwise i may not fill any of them. well probably one of them actually

I lied, holy crap when did this change. You get lots of free doe tags now...some with none...I'm still in a county with one per licence. Guess I don't know my own state that well out of my county...

View attachment 288950
It's a shame the northern half isn't doing nearly as well on populations. Sad to see what it once was for deer hunting destination compared to now.

It's a shame the northern half isn't doing nearly as well on populations. Sad to see what it once was for deer hunting destination compared to now.
What it used to be? Do you not remember the days of zero doe harvest? How about the switch to party doe tags where 4 guys had to put it to get one doe tag?

Deer herd just isn't what it was 10 to 20 years ago up there but it still is far above what it used to be. Black bears and wolves though sure aren't going to ever allow it to get much better this day in age

That’s true, but it was a beautiful thing for a 12-14 year old kid!

I remember the year I shot my first deer, I saw like 30 deer by the time I shot one. It was around 10am, but it felt like I had been in the stand for 12 hours to me then.

I’m sure several were the same deer, but still- it was crazy. Looking back, I think I may have shot the smallest of all of them, but I didn’t care (still don’t).

The amount of shots on the big chunk of public was nuts. I remember sitting there trying to figure out if any of the shots were from my dad- then he let the .444 rip and I almost jumped out of my treestand. I was so pumped. Gun season was awesome back then.

Going way back, “up north” is where all the deer were. I believe at one point, some of those counties in the white were the only ones that actually had an open deer season right?

I am going to pick up a few extra doe tags for here and Monroe county. I am going to hit McCoy for archery for at least a few days. Some really cool terrain over there.

one last range check.

after a few horizontal sight tweaks...

1st shot 20 yards
IMG-4621.jpg

1st shot 30:
IMG-4622.jpg

1st shot 40. poor shot.
IMG-4623.jpg

2nd shot 40. there we go.
IMG-4624.jpg

and for grins, because i'm drawing a line at 40 yards, 50 and 60:

IMG-4625.jpg
IMG-4626.jpg

my gut is telling me those 50 and 60 yard shots are more showing the limitations of the Trophy Ridge React with my bow and arrow set up with my maxed out draw length and therefore uncut arrows. i could perhaps do some tuning at 50 and 60 tho and it might dial in a little. but this will help me maintain my 40 yard line in the sand nonetheless.

feel pretty good bow wise.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back