Goat hunt in Chugach to start this Monday... Maybe

Deerhunter80

Well I hope our politicians can remove their heads from their rumps and get this shutdown sorted out. Not that they are concerned about me, but I am supposed to be flying out Sunday on a 10 day goat hunt up in the Chugach mountains, which are in the Chugach National Forest in Alaska. The park is currently closed and won't reopen until this is sorted out.

I am so pissed that my hunt may be canceled due to some unforeseen bologna. Such garbage.. The amount of coordinating for time off work, dough in flights, equipment etc. is nuts and to think I may be eating all that. Ugh!!!!!! Barely took a day off this year because I had this on the calendar.

Sorry for the rant but so disenchanted with these clowns in Washington.

Hope your trip can still happen.

I suppose both side of the aisle are hoping to score points in this mass of cry baby whiney finger pointing temper tantrum short sighted exercise in futility.........and it gets worse 'cause we know that two weeks from now the debt ceiling "discussion" starts all over again.

Access to the Chugach Nat'l Forest is not closed during the shutdown. The FS campgrounds are closed, the offices are closed, the forest and access to it is not closed. Go enjoy. Heck, I'll be chasing black bear on the forest tomorrow. Same with the national wildlife refuges and most national parks in Alaska - if you don't have to drive through a gate to get there it will be open.

Kaitum, if that is accurate than I am a happy camper. I checked the website and it said its shutdown, but access would be by plane.

You have every right to be ticked off and rant! I hope it clears and you take an awesome goat! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the others out their with similar situations.

I work for a federal land management agency in AK so my insight is based in guidance we were given from within. Because of the nature of most public lands in AK there is no feasible way to close access and laws unique to federal lands up here dictate that most remain open in terms of access. If you're accessing your area via small plane you'll be fine. However, it wouldn't hurt to double check with your air taxi.

Thanks Kaitum and good luck with those bears!!! If all goes well with my goat, I am considering having a black bear tag in my pocket as well. Looks like we are in store for some rain next week, but heck if I'm hunting i'm happy!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back