GMU Help

NH546

Kid brother and I have finally decided to chase elk in 2014. We are looking to do a DIY archery hunt. We are not trophy hunters. We are looking to go to CO and pack ourselves into some back country. We are just going to camp on the fly or set up a small camp and hunt from there. We would like to remain mobile. I have hunted 21/22 before and ran into a bit of vehicle traffic. I would like to know if anybody would be willing to suggest a unit that will get us away from vehicles and atvs. Something quiet and not killer step. We are runners but not mtn goats. Thanks for any help
Dennis

"Something quiet and not killer steep".....when you find that in co please let me know. Most new elk hunters that go archery for thier first few hunts end up very dissapointed. Its not like the TV shows where you call and the bulls come running. Those are usually private land ranch hunts or hard to draw premium units. From my experience in an OTC unit, you are more likely to call in another hunter, than an actual elk. Most OTC units in this state are crowded. Areas with roads have ATV's. Wilderness areas have outfitters on horseback that you will have to compete with. That's ok though. Use the other hunters to your advantage. Best advice I can give is pick a unit where they kill alot of elk, knock a few elk down with a rifle before goin archery, and be willing to shoot the first legal bull you see (or even better get a either sex tag).

As far as the unit is concerned, they all have elk, and they all produce decent bulls every year.

Last edited:
"Something quiet and not killer steep".....when you find that in co please let me know. Most new elk hunters that go archery for thier first few hunts end up very dissapointed. Its not like the TV shows where you call and the bulls come running. Those are usually private land ranch hunts or hard to draw premium units. From my experience in an OTC unit, you are more likely to call in another hunter, than an actual elk. Most OTC units in this state are crowded. Areas with roads have ATV's. Wilderness areas have outfitters on horseback that you will have to compete with. That's ok though. Use the other hunters to your advantage. Best advice I can give is pick a unit where they kill alot of elk, knock a few elk down with a rifle before goin archery, and be willing to shoot the first legal bull you see (or even better get a either sex tag).

As far as the unit is concerned, they all have elk, and they all produce decent bulls every year.

Pretty accurate advice so far. 25/26 has a ton of outfitter camps at the trailheads to the Flattops. I think you're going to hear similar reviews of most of the OTC units. Lots of hunters and small elk. With the number of guys in the woods someone's bound to shoot a decent bull here and there though. Find an area that looks promising then go hunt it a few seasons and you'll see better results, especially if you have a mobile camp.

Plenty of wilderness areas in Colorado. My experience is that if you put 5-8 miles of pack trail AND then bushwhack another 750-1000' of elevation between you and the pack trail - you'll be alone. Not an absolute guarantee, but of the 20+ days I've spent in CO's wilderness backcountry hunting elk, I've seen 1 other human...hikers, hunters, or otherwise. It's not enough just to hump it in on a pack trail (that's what everybody with a horse is doing), do both though and you'll be golden. Hint: older beetle kill = mucho deadfall = sucky walking = nobody else willing to put up with it. Again, not a veteran by any means, but that's been my experience with CO.

As dihardhunter said, "Hint: older beetle kill = mucho deadfall = sucky walking = nobody else willing to put up with it."

I have never hunted CO, but I have been to WY. I am no expert by any means, but I agree 100% with the above statement. That type of stuff is nasty, hard hunting. But that is why you can get away from others, because people don't want to go in it. And trust me when I say, if people aren't there, there's a good chance that elk might be there!. I found it to be true this year!

Good luck!

Plenty of wilderness areas in Colorado. My experience is that if you put 5-8 miles of pack trail AND then bushwhack another 750-1000' of elevation between you and the pack trail - you'll be alone. Not an absolute guarantee, but of the 20+ days I've spent in CO's wilderness backcountry hunting elk, I've seen 1 other human...hikers, hunters, or otherwise. It's not enough just to hump it in on a pack trail (that's what everybody with a horse is doing), do both though and you'll be golden. Hint: older beetle kill = mucho deadfall = sucky walking = nobody else willing to put up with it. Again, not a veteran by any means, but that's been my experience with CO.

The above post is really, really good advice for hunting elk in CO during the archery season. The wilderness areas hold a lot elk, and it'll take some work, but you'll have the time of your life. The 5-8 mile hike + the steep bushwhack is a formula for getting into elk.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back