Getting out of the USMC & I want to hunt 'Lopes!!!

A-5_Guy

Like the title says, I'm going to be exiting the Marine Corps after almost a decade due to a medical retirement. As such, I'm now faced with unprecedented freedoms (I am married with kids, however, haha). To say I'm giddy would be an understatement. My mom lived in Cody, WY for about 13 years and I was able to make it out that way a few times. During those visits I absolutely fell in love with the west. Now I'm really interested in going back to WY for a goat hunt. I do have some physical limitations due to injuries, residual stuff from back surgery, etc, but I'm still able to walk pretty well (I've been walking ~5miles a day in the hills of Camp Pendleton during the afternoons to try to prepare), just probably can't carry heavy loads over long distances like I used to. This is primarily why I think an antelope hunt would be ideal for my first "western" hunt. (I've been hunting whitetail deer, ducks, squirrel, rabbit, upland, etc since I was about 9, but that was in TN, MS, and southern California).

In order to prep for this hunt, I became a member of goHunt's Insider program, onXmaps, joined this site, have been reading a lot on pronghorn habits, tracks, listened to Randy's podcasts, etc.

I have 0 preference points for limited draws so I'll be going in on a random draw. I've got a few areas that I feel like have good access (considering my mobility) and a chance at a harvest. I'm not after horn length, but more of the "experience." I feel like it will do my soul good to go out there and do this and prove to myself that I'm not some "disabled veteran."

My question:

Since my odds of drawing with 0 PP's is usually 0.3% on a regular non-resident limited entry tag, should I just go with he units I'm looking at and hope for the best. If I don't draw a tag I'm planning on getting a leftover tag if they're available.

Thanks for any and all advice y'all might have for a beginner. Also, feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable giving it in the "clear."

Thanks,
Dave
Captain, USMC

Dave,

First, thanks for your service. I lived in Wyoming for several years and know a few great otc areas (might be easy draw areas now) where you could get a great lope. If you are interested send me a PM. IMO, there is no need for a LE tag to lope hunt in Wy.

Best of luck,

John

The leftover tags are in units with limited access so you may be looking at a trespass fee. That is a good option, but for a little less money you can enter the special draw and likely get into some areas with adequate public access. Check out the draw odds for non resident special draw without preference points. I think you'll be surprised at what options you have. And based on what you have said I beleive you will be more than able to handle the hunt physically.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

I don't have any expert advise for you as I'm a boot to the western game hunting. However, we do have one thing in common... Semper Fi brother! Good luck with your hunts.

Semper F. Dave,
I gave them 4 good years including a tour in S.E. Asia. There are some really smart lope hunters on this site willing to share. Go on the WY Game & Fish Site under the hunting heading look for drawing odds for non resident antelope 2015 to see what areas may offer good odds. I have had great luck talking with the individual G&F office getting lists of Landowners who allow hunting some with & some without trespass fee. Add the possibility of fresh trout for dinner and maybe even grouse and it doesn't get much better! Good luck!

Capt. Dave, first thank you for your service to our great country. Now in July you'll be able to buy Wyoming points only.

All,

Thanks for the kind words and advice. It really means a lot to be able to ask and not get beat up by folks. Also, just wanted to put out there I'm not trolling for honey holes or looking for what I'd call "sympathy advice" etc., simply because of my condition or service status (I've run into a lot of people here in California at duck refuges really taking advantage of their "disabled status" be it service connected or not. Anyways, I was just putting that in there for context. I don't think I'll be making any ascents of the Tetons any time soon, haha...

Research continues!!!

My advice is to put in for some doe tags. They are not very expensive and it is the best way to explore a unit and get some experience. You can put in for two before the end of the month. You can also buy two later from the left overs.

Well, I picked up a Unit 1 tag, so I guess it looks like I'll be trucking 1200miles from California, haha...let the adventure begin!

If you got a type 1 tag I would highly recommend getting a type 6 or maybe two type 6. Too bad you had to get a unit that is about as far away from southern California as you can get.

Buy a preference point for next year and it will open up more areas for you. You can buy one starting July 1.

I'm also a medical retirement from the army due to injuries in Iraq. I also suggest grabbing up doe tags. They are less expensive and does are more plentiful. For your first 'western' hunt, you can't beat it. It's awesome that you were able to get a buck tag, though!! I suggest getting the onXmap chips for your GPS and you'll be amazed at how much area gets opened up to you. Good luck in your endeavor and I hope it is as good as you hope for.

Also, I started my military as a Corpsman with 2nd FSSG back in the early 90's. I got out and ended up in the Army and finished my career there after 15 years. Somehow getting blown up and shot twice doesn't bode well for staying in. I tried to stay in to be an instructor, but they said no-go. Enjoy your retirement!!

@wytex, I got a point this year and will buy another so I have 2 going into next year.

@iaengineer, yep it's going to be a heck of a drive but it will be good for me. My exit from the military has been complicated and delayed due to appealing a board, so I think a road trip might help clear my head, etc. I'm also looking at other recreational opportunities.

@wytex, I got a point this year and will buy another so I have 2 going into next year.

@iaengineer, yep it's going to be a heck of a drive but it will be good for me. My exit from the military has been complicated and delayed due to appealing a board, so I think a road trip might help clear my head, etc. I'm also looking at other recreational opportunities.

I fought my medboard for almost 3 years until they finally gave me my retirement...keep up the good fight

If you bought a PP this week, you can't buy another one until next July since only one is allowed to be purchased per species per calendar year. Therefore, that means you will have just one for the 2017 draw, not two as you stated. Any that you would buy next year, whether it be during the early application period or during the PP application period that goes from July through October, would not be good until 2018.

Last edited:
I didn't draw any of my choices in the limited entry draw, so I have 1 from that. When I buy one this week or whenever, I'll have 2...

I stand corrected...I thought that was too easy. Thanks for the knowledge gents.

Did you pay $30 for a PP when you applied for the draw earlier this year? If not, you can buy one now until the end of October. If you did, you will have 1PP for the draw in 2017. In Wyoming you don't just get a PP because you didn't draw a tag. You have to buy a PP every year and you lose them if you draw a first choice tag or don't apply for the draw or buy a PP for two consecutive years.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back