Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Favorite Pronghorn States

I have harvested pronghorn in OR, WY, MT, NM, UT, NV and TX. I have enough points in AZ and CO to get a tag for a pronghorn buck there when the itch needs scratched.

NM was the most challenging place to hunt pronghorn due to the relatively short season. WY was, until a few years back, the easiest place to obtain 1 and sometimes 2 buck pronghorn tags each year as a non-resident but times have changed for non-residents and herd populations. I sent a lot of buddies with their youngsters into WY to spend money chasing what I think is the best shoulder mount of all North American game. WY will do fine by rolling around in piles of petroleum money and my buddies will do fine not driving over to WY. Win, win. Besides, any state where a hunter can't open two doors at one time on your truck without having the contents blown to Hell and yonder is partially designed by Satan.

A great pronghorn hunt to me is seeing several pronghorn each day, plenty of public land to hunt, the ability to let a buck walk and have a decent chance that buck is not shot as crests the next hilltop, and some terrain that allows stalking in close. Rattlesnakes are not something that makes for a great hunt but they are out there usually. Some of the most amazing sunsets I have been blessed to witness have been when am on pronghorn hunts.

Good luck with your chasing several states. Is tougher to draw a tag today as a non-resident and costs are going up faster than inflation but nonetheless in a decade everyone will say these are the Good Ol' Days in comparison. I have been hearing how I just missed the Good Ol' Days since I was 6 years old and had to start dealing with a point system on ducks rather than a body count. Trust me, it will get worse in ways it takes a bureaucrat to dream up and they will. Go hunt and the more the hunts happen sooner is way better than later. The trophy is in the adventure for some. I like those chaps.
well said...

I shot my first pronghorn when I lived in Colorado 50 years ago.

Shot one in Wyoming 20 or 30 years ago. A fun hunt and a lot of antelope, but hard to draw a tag, and non-resident licenses are too expensive.

I've lived in Montana for almost 50 years, and until the last 10 or so years, drew a tag almost every year. They're fun to hunt and good to eat, but like all other draw tags, every year they are harder to get.

I
I shot my first pronghorn when I lived in Colorado 50 years ago.

Shot one in Wyoming 20 or 30 years ago. A fun hunt and a lot of antelope, but hard to draw a tag, and non-resident licenses are too expensive.

I've lived in Montana for almost 50 years, and until the last 10 or so years, drew a tag almost every year. They're fun to hunt and good to eat, but like all other draw tags, every year they are harder to get.
I agree, every year to draw has gotten harder. Living in CO I used to get a non-res antelope doe tag for WY to almost any unit every year, mostly around Saratoga. These last 10 years I have had to apply to units further and further north almost to the Montana border. I think once they get shot at a bit they are very hard to hunt and once they see you at 900 yds. they'll run away. Spot and stock with a good wind in your face...sooner or later you get lucky! If the meat is put on ice immediately I think it's as good as a nice dry cow elk.

Ì
What is your favorite state or states to hunt pronghorn, and what makes a great pronghorn hunt for you? I’ve started building points across the Rockies and cant wait to hit the sage or grasslands. I hope my planning can make it an annual occurrence. There are clearly differences in populations, public access, and terrain. If point systems weren’t a limiting factor, what are your top 3 or 5 states or just your favorite type of pronghorn hunt. Do you look spot and stalk terrain; abundant populations with the accompanying hunting pressure; a bow rut hunt; etc.? Having never been, I can just list the places I’ll hunt in the coming years or decades (lol). WY, MT, CO, UT, and NM. I’ve considered and researched a few other states but haven’t committed due to a range of factors.
To me a great pronghorn hunt is getting up early in the morning somewhere in WY. Driving into an area not hunted too much with the wind, naturally hitting you in the face. Spot and stock as the scent of the blue sage hits your nose. Another loss on the stock, but the scent of the sage continues. At mid morning on the leeward side of the hill, the sun is bright and a nap on top of a big sage brush. With the winter garb on it's a cushion for an hour's sleep and a PBJ sandwich. You see a couple herds a long ways away jumping and circling. Tomorrow's another day...perhaps we'll be a little more serious. Yes, we will get serious that goat meat is very good.

I

I agree, every year to draw has gotten harder. Living in CO I used to get a non-res antelope doe tag for WY to almost any unit every year, mostly around Saratoga. These last 10 years I have had to apply to units further and further north almost to the Montana border. I think once they get shot at a bit they are very hard to hunt and once they see you at 900 yds. they'll run away. Spot and stock with a good wind in your face...sooner or later you get lucky! If the meat is put on ice immediately I think it's as good as a nice dry cow elk.
Download

I have harvested pronghorn in OR, WY, MT, NM, UT, NV and TX. I have enough points in AZ and CO to get a tag for a pronghorn buck there when the itch needs scratched.

NM was the most challenging place to hunt pronghorn due to the relatively short season. WY was, until a few years back, the easiest place to obtain 1 and sometimes 2 buck pronghorn tags each year as a non-resident but times have changed for non-residents and herd populations. I sent a lot of buddies with their youngsters into WY to spend money chasing what I think is the best shoulder mount of all North American game. WY will do fine by rolling around in piles of petroleum money and my buddies will do fine not driving over to WY. Win, win. Besides, any state where a hunter can't open two doors at one time on your truck without having the contents blown to Hell and yonder is partially designed by Satan.

A great pronghorn hunt to me is seeing several pronghorn each day, plenty of public land to hunt, the ability to let a buck walk and have a decent chance that buck is not shot as crests the next hilltop, and some terrain that allows stalking in close. Rattlesnakes are not something that makes for a great hunt but they are out there usually. Some of the most amazing sunsets I have been blessed to witness have been when am on pronghorn hunts.

Good luck with your chasing several states. Is tougher to draw a tag today as a non-resident and costs are going up faster than inflation but nonetheless in a decade everyone will say these are the Good Ol' Days in comparison. I have been hearing how I just missed the Good Ol' Days since I was 6 years old and had to start dealing with a point system on ducks rather than a body count. Trust me, it will get worse in ways it takes a bureaucrat to dream up and they will. Go hunt and the more the hunts happen sooner is way better than later. The trophy is in the adventure for some. I like those chaps.
How was your Oregon hunt? I live in Oregon and am going into this years draw with 22 points. I think I should be able to draw most units with the exception of Hart Mt. I work full time and am busy being a parent so won't be able to spend too much time scouting. What unit did you hunt?

WY is always a good time. Need to spend more time studying MT as I’ve always wanted to hunt it.

I have great bowhunts in WY, CO and NV among others. It’s really more unit and ground specific for me than state specific.

I'm personally a huge fan of Wyoming. But then again I'm a resident and every year I've had residency I've managed to draw and fill three antelope tags, one any antelope tags and two doe fawn tags. They are my favorite animal to eat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back