Gasoline

Thanks guy's. The .50c or so the government gets per gallon does go to maintain the roads we get to drive on. Dyed diesel is cheaper too but illegal and unethical to use on the highway. The same goes for un taxed homebrew as well. Enforcement could be a problem however if more and more people look into the route you guys are taking. $1 a gallon production cost's may have the Exxon Mobile goon squad out looking to break some knee caps! Interesting stuff here.......keep us posted.

Thanks guy's. The .50c or so the government gets per gallon does go to maintain the roads we get to drive on. Dyed diesel is cheaper too but illegal and unethical to use on the highway. The same goes for un taxed homebrew as well. Enforcement could be a problem however if more and more people look into the route you guys are taking. $1 a gallon production cost's may have the Exxon Mobile goon squad out looking to break some knee caps! Interesting stuff here.......keep us posted.
So here's what I propose. Everyone has to get a "Gasoline ID Card". You would have to show this card whenever you fill up at the gas station. If you home brew and don't have one of those cards, than you would have to pay a tax each year when you file. As an added bonus, you would have to show legal status to get one of these cards which would help out with all the illegals. If you are a visitor to our country, a valid passport/visa will do. We could also make these "smart" ID's so you could use them to go through security at the airport. Not only that, they could do NCIS checks when you get them, as well, and then, no pesky background checks when you go to purchase a firearm.

I'm LOVING this idea!!! God, I'm good. Any other problems you want me to take care of???

Disclaimer: The above was "sarcasm" for all of you who didn't realize it. Thank you!

Guiseppe,

Great idea with the gasoline card.....

What happens to all the Homebrew guys when the demand for the raw material (the cooking oil) goes up? Don't all these models assume that the raw material is a waste product?

I thought Willie Nelson was making Bio-diesel in large batches at his truck stop in Texas?

(And if CJ ever reads this thread again, how the hell did the original post go from temps on gas storage tanks to hating the Saudi Arabians?)

Big Horn, am I understanding you correctly? Do you consider making and burning biodiesel unethical? You are entitled to your opinion and I agree with you about red dyed diesel... using it is wrong on the highway. Bio is another matter.
My state (California) already wacks me and anyone else who owns a 3/4 or 1+ ton truck with a YEARLY weight tax -no such tax exists for regular cars. If I get my mini plant going, I won't feel too unethical at all about producing biodiesel -I'm already paying a ton of taxes. (PS -they NEVER repair the roads out here.)
Biodiesel is simply a recycled, refined vegetable oil product which was at one time being used for something else entirely different other than fuel. I'm pretty sure that fryer oil has been taxed already as a food processing substance... and once used is then considered garbage. There's nothing unethical or wrong about extending a used resource's life cycle. My Duramax engine will now "dispose" a waste product. For the life of me I can't imagine how a recycled waste product can be taxed.
Huntnerd: I did pour one of the quarts I made into a 1/4 tank of #2. Can't tell much from one quart, but at least the engine didn't die. Suposedly, when running a 50/50 blend of bio and #2, your engine will run quieter, burn cleaner, oil will stay cleaner longer, you won't have that burnt diesel smell as much... and since bio is suposed to have a higher cetaine rating, you're suposed to get slightly better mileage. I've yet to prove all this to myself, though.
Jose, the whole fossil fuel industry sucks. It isn't a matter of hating Arabs. The whole situation sucks, so I choose to use those who suck less.

JC,

You see the spike in wheat prices in the last year? If oil crops spike like that due to increased biofuel production then the homebrew guy's will be bagging the diesel and switching to beer.

Hope Willie's paying his taxes this time!

"Big Horn, am I understanding you correctly? Do you consider making and burning biodiesel unethical?"

What ever you use to fuel your vehichle DD, whether it be gasoline or horse manure, should be taxed exactly the same. Not my problem that your state does a poor job with it's gas tax revenue and maintaining it's roads. Still no excuse for not paying your fair share.

JC, How many Mexicans does it take to eat a Taco? Yes, Taxes should be paid to keep the Home brewers running the roads just like the taxed Fuel trucks. What the scale is for growth would be pick a number, as I don't believe there are numbers run on the question you asked. AND I might add it is a question that I am concerned with, my approach to WVO sources will be "What are you paying to Dispose of your oil now and if we sign a One year contract, will you sell me you WVO (Waste Vegtable Oil) for $.20 a gallon". If I had a Diner with WVO I would'nt just let go of a contract already in place to remove the oil for Hope and a prayer that this guy will pick up my oil and then quit 4 months from now. I also think it is a Win, Win situation. One person needs to get rid of it, while the other can use it to replace Fossil Fuel. Juan:D

What happens to all the Homebrew guys when the demand for the raw material (the cooking oil) goes up? Don't all these models assume that the raw material is a waste product?

That's already happening. In many areas local lube distributors are realizing the resale market for used vegetable oil, making it harder for homebrew experts to find cheap (or better yet, free) waste oil.

As far as imported crude, advances in syncrude production out of Canada will have the greatest impact on global oil supplies in the next decade. More than opening ANWR, OPEC decision making, or offshore discovery combined IMO.

You see the spike in wheat prices in the last year? If oil crops spike like that due to increased biofuel production then the homebrew guy's will be bagging the diesel and switching to beer.

BHR,

It's a bit of a myth that the major reason for global wheat prices in the last 12 months is a function of biofuels. First, Australia essentially lost its entire wheat crop to enviromental issues. Second, as nations like China develop and grow in wealth, they tend to transition from a rice based diet to including more protiens and breads, causing huge increases in global demands.

Biofuels plays a part, albeit a small one, seeing as corn and wheat are subsitutive commodities for certain applications.

Regardless, brewing your own, and therefore increasing the global supply of, beer is a fantastic idea.

Ok, I can somewhat see your side of the ethics question of myself and others not being taxed for burning something other than petro-fuel. But that's the catch- I'm NOT burning petro-fuel. If I only burned #2, I see no reason why I shouldn't be taxed just like everyone else. When I pump something in my tank, I pay the cashier my excise tax for using the roads -agreed.
BUT when I dump in something I cooked up in my backyard into the tank, it's as if I never bought any gas in the first place and the thing's flying down the road on wind power or not running at all -simply because I was creative enough to utilize an alternative to the obvious. Regulation can't be a self-perpetuating punishment taxation, but many people think it should be. I don't.
People will say "If you drive, you should be taxed." I say, "How can you tax me when I'm not buying gas?" If the answer is "Tough!" That'll be my answer also.
So far I've got one resturant lined up and 10-15 gallons of WVO stashed. Paid nothing for it because it's considered garbage and I have a verbal agreement with the manager. When time permits, I'll visit other places around town and get them lined up too.
The question was asked about what if WVO gets scarce? I'll NEVER underestimate the laziness of North Americans -even though I am one. Most people won't go through the trouble of getting dirty or lifting a 5 gallon jug or bucket and would rather pay someone else to do it for them. There will always be enough waste vegetable oil to go around. Lots of soy fields around too.

DD, it doesn't matter if you're stuffing carrots into your flux capacitor to run your Duramax. You're still using the road system. The tax is on use of the road system, not use of fuel.

"You seen beer prices (I am guessing you have as you owe pretty much everybody on the board a Case)"

Actually Jose, I have to go back and review my bet with Pointer. I think he owes me a case. Don't believe Wyoming has dropped their suit yet and Wyoming wolf season commences tomorrow.

Smalls,

I didn't mean to give the impression that wheat prices were at all tied to increases in biofuel production. Just that a dramatic spike in the price of whatever you are depending on for you finished product can quickly turn a good idea into a bad one. Bakers are feeling the pinch from high wheat prices right now for example.

At the risk of exposing my genetic pedigree, my dad had a kooky conspiracy theory the other day. He claimed that the US government was purposely having US cars get poorer fuel mileage than the exact make and model of cars in other countries. Reason......to get more fuel taxes. Told him to quit drinking whatever koolaid it was, that he was drinking!

What's the difference between a Moped and Millers Lays? One brings him socks....

Millers Lays....sounds like beer snacks. Which, in a way, is probably accurate.

The Bio-diesel myths may all get exploded if the raw product costs $1.35 per gallon.

How does this figure into your break-even analysis?

Police arrest man for siphoning 300 gallons of grease from Burger King

David Richardson, 49, of Illinois, arrested Tuesday, April 1,... (Courtesy of Morgan Hill Police)«1»An Illinois man was arrested for allegedly stealing from a Morgan Hill fast food restaurant. But it wasn't money or even burgers. Police say he stole used cooking oil.
David Richardson, 49, allegedly siphoned 300 gallons of the inedible grease Tuesday from an on-site storage tank at Burger King on Monterey Road and into his tanker that is used specifically to transport used cooking oil.

Police believe Richardson intended to recycle the cooking oil at a refinery in Atascadero, where he would get $1.35 per gallon. Police said Richardson's 5,000-gallon tank was approximately half full at the time of his arrest. A full tank would have netted Richardson $6,750.

"He certainly had been to other places in the area," said Morgan Hill police Cmdr. David Swing. "Our guess is its a bio-diesel fuel thing. It's like someone stealing copper wire. This might turn into something that starts to occur more frequently."

Richardson could possibly be charged with a variety of charges, including unlawfully stealing inedible grease, unlawful transport of inedible grease and grand theft.

The manager at Burger King spotted Richardson siphoning the used cooking oil and didn't recognize his truck. According to the manager, Richardson handed her a blank service contract and then quickly got back into his truck and left. The manager called police.

Another witness followed Richardson and directed police to his location. He was stopped while trying to leave town south on Monterey Road at East Middle Avenue.
According to police, Richardson worked for a Las Vegas company called Restaurant Oils of America and was cleaning out the grease storage containers of local restaurants where he did not have a service account.

The owner of the Las Vegas company, Ned Cruey, told police that Richardson was instructed to drive to a recycling center in Atascadero to drop off the grease. Cruey told police he did not know why Richardson was in Morgan Hill. Cruey told police he uses the recycling facility in Atascadero because it pays $1.35 a gallon compared to the 80 cents per gallon he gets in Las Vegas.

Morgan Hill police, along with the California Highway Patrol and California Department of Food and Agriculture, are investigating whether Restaurant Oils of American can be held criminally liable.

I see my personnel "fact checker" Jose... Has turned my thread into a very good thread... Thank you for saving me Mr. Jose.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back