MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fun in the Sun Osceola style

ARO

It was nice to get away from this cold weather for a while, and do a little turkey hunt'n in the Sunshine state. Went down to hunt the Big Cypress for 4 days, saw one hen scouting, called one hen in hunting, and heard one far off gobble. Its so vast, that just finding ANY turkeys is a chore. Without a doubt, the toughest place to hunt turkeys I've ever been. But the scenery is just awesome, and the dream of shooting a long legged, black winged, big cypress swamp chicken, just keeps me coming back.

Mid week we drove up to central Florida to hunt a different piece of public land, that Ive never been too. The wife and I spent all day Thursday scouting and hiking, and finally found the mother load of turkey sign. We also got to watch a bobcat stalking, that was cool. Got in nice and early Friday morning, and was greeted with the sweet sound of nothing! (Did have a coyote come in and check out my decoy.) So I decided to do a little running and gunning. About an hour later, bingo, got a gooble. After a little clucking and a couple purrs, he was coming in on a string. He cirlced wide, and I took the shot at about 40 yards. As he jumped up, flew 10 yards, then ran like hell, I could only hang my head in disgust, thinking I just blew my chance at a nice Osceola.

Decided to go back to the first set up, since I was thinking it was a mid morning struting zone. As I got there, there were several birds gobbling, so I set up and started to play some sweet turkey music. We played the game for 30 minutes, with 2 birds hanging up and not wanting to come any closer. So I circled around, set up on an old logging path, and gave them my best Barry White. Five minues later, it was to much for them to stand, as they crept out on to the path to investigate. With a face full of #6, the deed was done. There's just something about hunting turkeys down in the palmetto's!

IMG_20130322_124628_zpsf2206c53.jpg

Very nice! Congrats! I'm not only an Oceola short of a 'Slam' so I can see myself trying that in the next couple of years. Time to do some research on some public hunting areas in FL.

Did you happen to see any pigs?

Thanks fella's.

1pointer, I have turkey hunted Florida 3 times, and have never seen a pig, and only 1 snake. Lots of gators and deer though...

You earned that one. Great job! Thats on my list to do in the near future.

THAT is REALLY cool.Great job on a Florida public land hunt.Those are pretty tough from what i hear.Finding birds without other "joes" is the challenge.Calling them in is the easy part.

Thanks fella's.

1pointer, I have turkey hunted Florida 3 times, and have never seen a pig, and only 1 snake. Lots of gators and deer though...
Thanks for the info. Looks like a sweet trip. Might have to try to trade my wife some beach time for some turkey time! :D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back