From bow to rifle

holden1129

I have hunted archery for the past 7 years and was pretty successful. This year I was successful in drawing a 1st season elk tag. I am wondering if I need to hunt elk the same way I do archery or is it totally different?

Hunting elk is hunting elk, your effective range just went from 50yds to "however far you are comfortable shooting".

You still need to find them, stalk them, and get yourself into proper position for a good shot.

Thanks. I am wondering if you can use calls to lure them in during that season as effective as archery?

I would think at times you could. There was a good bit of bugling last year right up through the first weekend of first season, until they figured out that war had begun. Listened to two guys across the drainage from us call in a herd of elk close enough for a shot. We just sat tight and let the elk come to us as there were quite a few hunters out moving around our side of the mtn.

I would think at times you could. There was a good bit of bugling last year right up through the first weekend of first season, until they figured out that war had begun. Listened to two guys across the drainage from us call in a herd of elk close enough for a shot. We just sat tight and let the elk come to us as there were quite a few hunters out moving around our side of the mtn.
I figured I would be running into alot more hunters during 1st season compared to archery. I'm thinking about bringing my same calls and giving it a shot to see if I can get a bull close. Do you sit and wait for elk to move most of the time?

If you hunt public land in first rifle season you will run into a lot more hunters, this means you will have to work to get off the beaten path and it will increase your chances of success. Good luck!

Thanks DSull. I am planning on taking horses in away from everyone else. I'm assuming as soon as the war begins the elk will be retreating to there safe places. I'm hoping to find a spot that is kind of a filter zone for them when they start feeling pressure.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back