Frame Pack Tips ?

You're probably thinking about an external frame pack, but you don't actually need an external frame pack for elk hunting, an internal frame pack could work too. Just a thought. I'm a big fan of Osprey packs. They're light, comfortable, and with the right model can pack out about as much elk as you want to carry. They don't come in mossy oak realtree optifade camo though.

Jwill, The buddy I hunt with used my Osprey last year when I was using his ALPS (I have about 4 inches and 60 pounds on him so I get the "good" loads). He said it was very comfy for him with a front quarter and some burger meat in the game bag. The rear quarter would have barely fit by itself. It is very capable but I think it only comes down to capacity. I carried a rear quarter, 1 backstrap, a little burger meat and the antlers/head with no problem on the ALPS. The strap system is great for synching stuff down nice and snug.

Anybody got hands on the stone glacier packs through Schnees, I hear good things. My buddy just bought the Kuiu 5200; their apparel is great and the pack just as good. I stand by my badlands 2200, I don't think external frames are required. A hip strap however is, why would you make your back and shoulders carry the weight. Depending on your size, you may look for something that adjusts frame length not just strap length.

Keep the opinion coming. I've been shopping every pack you guys mention. I'm thinking @ cashing in my Cabela's Bucks for the Alaskan Frame II & then keep looking for a deal on a higher end one. Next week I'm gonna go to Cabela's, get fitted & check out the packs.

Jwill, The buddy I hunt with used my Osprey last year when I was using his ALPS (I have about 4 inches and 60 pounds on him so I get the "good" loads). He said it was very comfy for him with a front quarter and some burger meat in the game bag. The rear quarter would have barely fit by itself. It is very capable but I think it only comes down to capacity. I carried a rear quarter, 1 backstrap, a little burger meat and the antlers/head with no problem on the ALPS. The strap system is great for synching stuff down nice and snug.

Which model do you have? I use my Aether 70 for packing duty, will probably pick up a Kestrel 38 or 32 for daypack + first load duty this year. I had a Stratos 34 as a daypack last season, but my buddy lost it...

Just finished packing my Outdoorsmans for the weekend.

Heading south of the Mason Dixon line after work tomorrow to test equipment and legs.

A98986E4-DB3A-4D5F-A2A5-EBA94E142EC5-5707-00000547334F2100.jpg

Which model do you have? I use my Aether 70 for packing duty, will probably pick up a Kestrel 38 or 32 for daypack + first load duty this year. I had a Stratos 34 as a daypack last season, but my buddy lost it...

It was a secon hand gift for some hard labor :) don't know the Model. It was given to me in 2005. It has a separate sleeping bag compartment and the hip belt is awesome. Very comfy ride.

Regardless of what pack frame you buy make sure that it has good padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt. Also invest in a pair of treking poles to use while packing large loads. It make a huge difference...

In my opinion I don't believe there is one best pack for elk hunting, what I've done is bought a Ranger 3 day pack and I use it for my daily hunting needs, I also have a used Large Alice pack with frame, I stage the Alice Pack with my ATV in the vicinity of where I'm hunting and the Alice is easy to get to, the Alice Pack has a sturdy frame and can carry and elk quarter with no problem, once I have the elk quartered I get my Alice Pack and carry out the elk. It's what works best for me. The Alice pack is reasonably priced as is the Ranger 3 day pack. I think it's the best of both worlds it works and it's inexpensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back