NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Frame Pack Tips ?

Trigger50

I'm planning a 2014 elk hunt & I need a framepack. I have never used one. I have an old aluminum frame pack of my dads from 40 yrs ago. No waist belt. I dont think it could handle packing meat. I'm considering beefing up the frail orings on it w heavy duty zip ties. I also have a large but cheap Marlboro...yes Marlboro brand pack. Its bright red of course. Iv'e used it alittle packing in cold weather clothing on MN deer hunts. It's very roomy but I dont think the stitching could handle packing meat.
What can you guys recommend ? I'm not cheap. I know the value of quality. I have a couple hundred Cabela's Bucks. Do they carry any frame packs up to the task of an elk hunt ? Thanks for the crash course of packs.

I have the Alaskan guide pack frame and it works great. Good load lifters and heck for stout.

If you have the money, the Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock packs are great. Next would be the Cabelas guide packs. I am a bargain hunter and this off season got the ALPS Outdoorz Commander Pack and frame http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/outdoorz/products/packs/commander-pack-bag

I registered as a field tester and got the pack and bag for under $100  So far I am pretty pleased with it. Some really nice feature and big!! Maybe not quite the quality as the others but mine has held up well so far. Just my 2 cents.

best wishes!

I was in your shoes just 5-6 months ago, but planning my first elk hunt this fall, 2013. I wish I had started earlier like you are. My advise would be to do a ton of research and reading about gear, etc. and don't believe everything you hear. :) Ask 10 guys about most any piece of equipment and you will get 6 different answers. Except for the Garmin GPS and Hunting GPS Maps chip, that was a slam dunk. It was a lot of fun learning but frustrating at the same time. It also was a LOT more expensive than I imagined. It didn't have to be, but I kept thinking, oh, it's worth a little more to have less weight to carry, be more comfortable, and not second guess my purchases... I'll let you know in October if it was worth the extra $ or not! Just enjoy the excitement and when it gets overwhelming take a week off and just go fishing. Also, start working out now so that you can do it gradually and find what works best for you. I haven't even made it to Colorado yet and I know I've already made some mistakes, but the work and excitement sure is fun. Best Wishes!!

If you are looking for just the frame pack the Alaska frames from Cabelas work great. They are light to begin with and soft on the pocket book. I bought the Alaska II for $99 and love it. I have packed out whole antelope and deer on it as well as elk and it has held up great. If you are looking for frame and pack there are a lot of options. I actually just took my day pack and attach it to the frame pack for an all around pack. I don't know about hauling out a bunch of weight, but more than enough to make a couple of trips for an elk on the bone. If you have the money it may be worth it to invest in a Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Tenzing, or any of the other top brand names. Be aware the Tenzing packs have to be boned out to haul in them unless you get the new frame, but it runs in the $700 range. Like I said there are multiple packs in that line just depends on what you want.

I shouldn't say whole deer and antelope they were broke down, but made it in one trip. Counting both skinned hind and fronts, backstraps, extra meat, and head.

Over 45 years of elk hunting and over 60 elk, the best number one pack board for getting meat out is an old WWII military pack board. There is nothing better, period. You can find them at Army/navy stores, craigslist, ebay goodwill. I have paid anywhere from $10.00 and up. Get one, and then add on a good hip belt, and slip some good shoulder strap pads on . Outfit it with some parachute cord, old sheets from good will as your meat sacks ( better than any "game bags" you could ever buy, and much cheaper ), a good sharp small meat saw( I use a Wyoming saw, and a wood saw with a 2 ft long blade) , and you are set to go. You can hang as much meat on it as you can carry, it is made to strap cargo on and off very fast and easy with threading cord thru things, and most of the boards and a quick release on one strap so it is extremely easy and fast to get on and off. With the quick release, you can dump the entire load in a couple of seconds in an emergency (like if you slip and fall etc. Something you would find very nice when you really need it, it sucks to go down a slope with 150 lbs of meat on your back). Buy one, nothing is better.

Oregon Pack works makes a very modular system that I really like, you can get rid of the larger compartments and slim it down to a day back that still has plenty of frame to haul meat. Its something you've probably never heard of but worth a look.

If you are planning a true backpack style hunt, you'll want to get a serious mountain hunting pack that fits you well, can haul your gear, and meat to boot. Just make sure its rated to carry 75+lbs. I have some nice packs made by alpine climbing companies, but the frame sheets in there aren't made for comfortably carrying big weight (maybe newer ones are better now). Troll the classifieds on this site and others, good deals are out there. I saw a deal on 2 mystery ranch bags for about the price of a new bag at REI.

If you are hunting from the truck, I think a decent pack frame or one of the military frames would be a good option, and good on the $$. I carried a moose quarter on a cabelas frame and it wasn't awful.

I bought an Outdoormans pack this spring, I've been doing 1-10 mile trip a week carrying a normal daytrip load + 50lbs of weights. I have to say, it's by far the most comfortable "hunting" pack I've carried a load with. I tried Mystery Ranch(crew cab and 6500) last season and they were OK, but not a good fit for me.

We have a couple of the Cabelas Pack frames, the Alaska 1 and the Alaska 2 and we have taken several elk out with them. They are fairly light but strong. They are great

Thanks SFC B. I checked out the pack & actually just bought one of those Alps Commanders tonight for $125 on Amazon. Looks like a good bargin. Amazon has a good return policy if I dont like it. Only thing I noticed is that it might not be quiet material. I think it will be my backup / extra pack for hauling meat. I'm still gonna be on the prowl for a higher end pack if I can find one used or something. I have time. I'm gonna go to Cabela's this week & get measured & fitted. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs. 34 waist. Keep the opinions coming. Thanks.

Thanks SFC B. I checked out the pack & actually just bought one of those Alps Commanders tonight for $125 on Amazon. Looks like a good bargin. Amazon has a good return policy if I dont like it. Only thing I noticed is that it might not be quiet material. I think it will be my backup / extra pack for hauling meat. I'm still gonna be on the prowl for a higher end pack if I can find one used or something. I have time. I'm gonna go to Cabela's this week & get measured & fitted. I'm 5'10" 165 lbs. 34 waist. Keep the opinions coming. Thanks.

One thing that I did (and it was part of my review to them) was replace the ring for the clevis pins with small key rings as the ones that came with it snagged on my shirt the first two times I used it. It was $2 for a bag full :) The bag is a rip stop nylon type material. The straps and extenders that come with are nice. I bought mine after using my buddy's last season on my half of a three elk pack out :) I hope it suits you well. I rifle hunt so the stealth isn't as big of a deal to me but it might be a bit creaky if you are bowhunting.

If you are just looking for a frame to pack out meat, I don't think you would be disappointed with the Cabelas Alaskan Guide pack frames. Check out the story of my dad's Minnesota moose hunt in the moose hunting forum. That bull, along with my bull the year before, were both packed out over multiple days with the Cabelas frames. In my opinion, it was probably about as comfortable as packing a moose can be. I also packed out my 117 pound wolf on mine. The pack survived better than I did. The things are flat-out tough.

That said, I ordered a Kifaru for my elk hunt this fall. We'll be backpacking 6 miles in to hunt. Hunting with the frame would be too loud and clumsy, and I don't want the weight of the frame and a seperate daypack. I will have my Cabelas frame in the back of the truck, though, for packing meat in case the Kifaru doesn't impress me for that task.

Over 45 years of elk hunting and over 60 elk, the best number one pack board for getting meat out is an old WWII military pack board. There is nothing better, period. You can find them at Army/navy stores, craigslist, ebay goodwill. I have paid anywhere from $10.00 and up. Get one, and then add on a good hip belt, and slip some good shoulder strap pads on . Outfit it with some parachute cord, old sheets from good will as your meat sacks ( better than any "game bags" you could ever buy, and much cheaper ), a good sharp small meat saw( I use a Wyoming saw, and a wood saw with a 2 ft long blade) , and you are set to go. You can hang as much meat on it as you can carry, it is made to strap cargo on and off very fast and easy with threading cord thru things, and most of the boards and a quick release on one strap so it is extremely easy and fast to get on and off. With the quick release, you can dump the entire load in a couple of seconds in an emergency (like if you slip and fall etc. Something you would find very nice when you really need it, it sucks to go down a slope with 150 lbs of meat on your back). Buy one, nothing is better.

No offense, but just cuz the guy has never really suffered for an elk, like most homegrown elk hunters have at one time or another during a lifetime of elk hunting, it's no reason to give him that kind of advice. Not really sure your messing with him or being serious, but I have personally used the WWII pack boards multiple times, and I've used the Cabela's Alaskan guide frames many times, and this year will be using a Stone Glacier pack, and I can say without hesitation, there are many things better for packing out an elk than the WWII pack boards.

To the OP, for the price, I would look really hard at the Cabelas Alaskan frames.

It all about the badlands 2200. Lots will disagree, so will the dozen or so bulls that if packed out with it. Best warranty, super comfortable, lightweight with good capacity. I put it on and go hunt, if I shoot something I pull out the meat shelf and start packing. The amount of weight it will carry is impressive, far beyond what you can carry. I have everything I need with me a d don't need to go back for a frame. This is why I got rid of my mystery ranch and eberlstock packs, both of which are good packs. All my hunting buds have done the same after watching g this pack shame theirs. Glad they did to as I always ended with the heavier loads, even on their kills.

No offense, but just cuz the guy has never really suffered for an elk, like most homegrown elk hunters have at one time or another during a lifetime of elk hunting, it's no reason to give him that kind of advice. Not really sure your messing with him or being serious, but I have personally used the WWII pack boards multiple times, and I've used the Cabela's Alaskan guide frames many times, and this year will be using a Stone Glacier pack, and I can say without hesitation, there are many things better for packing out an elk than the WWII pack boards.

To the OP, for the price, I would look really hard at the Cabelas Alaskan frames.

I take this a few steps further than the WWII pack. After I find one I usually replace the shoulder straps with barbed wire. I then take off the hip strap it comes with and use #9 wire for the hip belt. Then I take a 45 lbs plate and permanently attached it to the frame pack so all my loads are actually 45 lbs heavier than just an elk quarter. People in the US today are so soft, I feel it makes me stronger. Like bull!

Last edited:
You're probably thinking about an external frame pack, but you don't actually need an external frame pack for elk hunting, an internal frame pack could work too. Just a thought. I'm a big fan of Osprey packs. They're light, comfortable, and with the right model can pack out about as much elk as you want to carry. They don't come in mossy oak realtree optifade camo though.

I take this a few steps further than the WWII pack. After I find one I usually replace the shoulder straps with barbed wire. I then take off the hip strap it comes with and use #9 wire for the hip belt. Then I take a 45 lbs plate and permanently attached it to the frame pack so all my loads are actually 45 lbs heavier than just an elk quarter. People in the US today are so soft, I feel it makes me stronger. Like bull!

I was talking to a retired master guide about packs once... He based his "custom" pack on a WWII frame, but made it bigger so he could haul more. Said waist belts were for women. Guy was a friggn animal, packing full Kodiak hides with the head/paws, and full (gutted) sheep in single loads. He had it custom made from aluminum rail of some sort.

I'm a woman and prefer the hip belt myself. Really liking the Kifaru High Camp, even better than the Mystery Ranch 6500. The shoulder straps and belt are much more comfortable to me. She's going to get a good test in, oh... 14 days. :D

Back