Flyfishing Equipment for a Beginner

Nicely done!

Ditch the waders though. Nothing better than standing in a river on a hot day.

I agree that the waders suck. These waders were bought for duck hunting, so they are ridiculously hot this time of year! I need to invest in some wading boots I guess. I'd wear my Crocs, but I know I would end up sacrificing them to the mud.

Small streams in the middle of the summer scream for wet wading. If you are going for a short trip, thick soled tennis shoes work well. When you are done with the trip, you are done with the shoes. Stone bruises make the thick soles important.

Do any of you make your own leaders? Is it reasonable to make your own leaders by buying different sizes of tippet and tying pieces together to make a tapered leader, or what do you do? I have been just buying leaders, but it seems like if this method works, it could be cheaper.

Do any of you make your own leaders? Is it reasonable to make your own leaders by buying different sizes of tippet and tying pieces together to make a tapered leader, or what do you do? I have been just buying leaders, but it seems like if this method works, it could be cheaper.

Oh yeah. You're pretty much right on the money.

I buy leader material in 200 yd spools. I use Maxima. Depending on the rod, the stream, the day, the fly.. I start at anywhere from 15-30lb, and work my way down in appropriate lengths to a 4 or 6 lb tippet. Sometimes a 2lb if I'm working small water Cutties in SE.

use a nail knot or loop to loop for leader-line connection. use double surgeon, or double nail to adjoin the sections of to create your leader.

I am bringing this thread back to life!
Thank you guys for your advice on my first setup. I have a 9'-0" TFO Professional Series rod (5wt) and Galvan Rush Reel. I am very happy with this setup. I just got back from my first flyfishing trip to Colorado with it..see the thread:

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=251471

I am thinking about getting a second setup now that might be better for fishing small, tight streams/creeks. I was thinking of getting a shorter rod in the 7'-6" range or so and with slower action. Does it make sense to get a rod like this for this situation? From what I have heard, the slower action allows more accuracy, and I figure the shorter rod prevents me from hitting all the limbs. Because I would only use this rod for these tighter situations, the shorter casting ability shouldn't be a big problem. If my thinking makes sense, what are some rods you guys would recommend? I am very happy with the TFO I have, and it was not very expensive, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to going to a more expensive brand if I need to.
Also, what type of line would you recommend for this situation?

Ben

Glad you did. I am getting back into flyfishing from a 10 year hiatus. I am going to need two rods I think, to go after the steelheads running off of superior.

Do you fish Whitewater?

Last edited:
Ben,

I use a 3 weight and a 4 weight for smaller streams, but I don't like the shorter rods. I had a 2wt that was 6'6" and it was fine, but I sold it and kept the 8'9" 3wt Sage because it's just a much better tool for the job.

An 8 foot 4 weight would do the trick, and give you enough oomph for the longer casts. You're on the right track with a slower rod. A medium or slow action will help, but you're going to need to adjust your cast to the rod if you are used to fishing a fast action rod.

Perosnally I like the Winston WT series, or the old Sage LL series for slower rods. But I'm a bit of a gear snob. :)

Good choice on the TFO, look at their lighter line series and see if you can cast one in a 3 or 4 wt. I've been using Galvan reel for a decade, and the only problem I had was a result of the reel freezing and me horsing on it and broke a spring. Galvan dealer fixed it on the spot with no hassle. Great reels.

There is a rod maker called "March Brown" giving a discount of %50 on Promotive. I am not familiar with them. How do they stack up against the the other rods reccomended on this thread?

I can get a "Perfection" 9'6", 5wt, 3pc for $289, MSRP $589. Is it worth it?

I do not know anything about thePerfection but what ever you do check the companys warranty.I have owned every rod there is from T&T, Winston Sage Scott you name it.If money is no object then Id recommend go and CAST THEM ALL. IMO you cant go wrong with TFO rods. They cast really well and for the price and warranty you cant beat it. I spend a little more on my reels because I live here on the east coast and do a lot of saltwater fly fishing as well as in thr Keys. Galvan are great reels for fresh water but again IMO Nautilis are awesome. I am really tough on my gear sand, rocks you name it and i cant destroy one no matter how hard I try.

Again flyrods are like bows. They are all different. what I like you might not.Fast action ,slow action,7',9' go to your local shop and cast,cast,cast. My set ups I use here on Long Island are for small spring creeks I use a 7' 3wt or 5 wt depending where im fishing. In the brine I us a 9' 10 wt. We have large fish here and it tends to be a little windy all the time.. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice guys!

MinnesotaHunter, I have fished Whitewater, but I don't really like it. I have only ever fished there with live bait, but it is such a popular place. There are always people there, and the fish are smaller than in other creeks (except perhaps when the DNR releases one of their big ones). The same goes with shed hunting there. It seems there are cars parked everywhere in there, so I just go somewhere else. I need to get up to the northern part of the state one of these days to try flyfishing up there!

You hit the nail on the head!
I catch enough fish every year on streams or out of my tube and I won't tell anybody what I have spent on my rods and reels because everybody wants to spend their money on a *name*. But, also I have only been fishing for 53 years from the Little Lost River to the Sawtooths and Tetons even knowing there are no fish in those places.:p

I quit torturing myself a long time ago and realized its just fishing... and I can still catch em :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back