Flyfishing Equipment for a Beginner

Bowhuntrben

I am thinking about getting into flyfishing and was wondering if some of you experts could help me out in picking some equipment! I would mostly be fishing for smaller fish (trout) in streams and on the river. I would also like the equipment to be able to handle a bigger fish (15-20 lbs). From my preliminary research, I was thinking of getting a 9' rod with 6 weight fly line. I would also like to get a reel that is resistant to rust. I am definitely open to suggestions as I really have no experience with flyfishing. It is my understanding that price can make a big difference in selecting a good reel for flyfishing, but I don't know about rods. Please let me know if you have any recommendations on the type of outfit I should be looking at, and if you have any products that you would recommend. I would like to get equipment that will last, but, at the same time, I would rather not spend $1000 for a reel.
Thanks in advance!

6 weights are good all around rods. A 20 pounder may be a bit much for a 6 weight though. If you plan on doing any hiking/backpacking, I'd suggest getting a three or four piece rod. It's not very fun hiking around with a 4 1/2 tube on your back. I wouldn't worry about dumping too much money into a reel to start with. You'll rarely need to actually use it. St Croix and Scott both make good rods at a decent price and have great warranties. I think St. Croix rods are made over in your neck of the woods. Sage and Winston both make great rods, but you're going to pay more for them. Honestly, starting out you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $150 and $800 rod. However, once you get hooked and spend a couple years fishing, you'll definitely be able to tell the difference.

I've worked in the flyfishing industry for 9 years and worked as a fly fishing guide for 6 years.

For what you describe, I think you need two rods. 15-20 lb fish are not going to be easily landed on any rod that is fun to catch trout with. Not to mention it will be difficult to throw the flies needed to catch those big fish on a trout-sized rod.

I would recommend you buy a 5wt for trout, either an 8' 1/2" or 9' rod. Then get an 8wt for the bigger fish, and don't buy anything shorter than 9'. If you're steelheading, don't be afraid to get a 9'6" or even a 10' rod.

As far as reels go, don't worry too much about the trout reel. Put your reel funds into the one for the 8wt, because big fish are much harder on reels.

If you're on a budget, look at TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rods. They perform well for the money. I would probably get the Professional series for in the 5wt and the TiCr in the 8 wt.

For reels, get something basic like a Ross Flystart for the 5wt.

For the 8wt, get the Galvan Rush. It has about the best drag system for the price.

You should be able to do all of this for under $800 or so.

There are many good rods and reels on the market. Being new to the sport, I would not recommend dropping a lot of cash on gear until you are good enough to know and can tell the difference between a $500 rod and a $200 rod. Some rods are very stiff for longer casts and some are lighter for a softer presentation. Still water or spring creeks require a softer presentation than a large freestone river. Most good shops will let you cast several and see for yourself how they feel. Check out the warranty as well. The most important features of a reel and a smooth drag system and line capacity. Other than that it's just there to hold you line. As for a rod that will handle a 20# fish but is going to be used for small trout most of the time, I'm not sure a 9' 6 wt is the answer. Most larger fish are going to take a bigger rod with more backbone and would not be enjoyable to fish for smaller fish. I would buy a rod that would be fun for the smaller fish and get a different set-up for bigger ones. The 6 wt rod is a good "all-round" rod and was the first rod I ever bought . I currently don't have a 6 wt. I have several rods from 7 1/2 ft to 9 ft, from 3 wt to 9 wt but the rods I use most of the time here in Idaho are 9' 5 wt for 12-24" trout in streams and rivers. It's light enough to be fun but has enough backbone to throw a line into the winds we sometimes have here. Drop me a PM if you have specific questions.
BD

I've worked in the flyfishing industry for 9 years and worked as a fly fishing guide for 6 years.

For what you describe, I think you need two rods. 15-20 lb fish are not going to be easily landed on any rod that is fun to catch trout with. Not to mention it will be difficult to throw the flies needed to catch those big fish on a trout-sized rod.

I would recommend you buy a 5wt for trout, either an 8' 1/2" or 9' rod. Then get an 8wt for the bigger fish, and don't buy anything shorter than 9'. If you're steelheading, don't be afraid to get a 9'6" or even a 10' rod.

As far as reels go, don't worry too much about the trout reel. Put your reel funds into the one for the 8wt, because big fish are much harder on reels.

If you're on a budget, look at TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rods. They perform well for the money. I would probably get the Professional series for in the 5wt and the TiCr in the 8 wt.

For reels, get something basic like a Ross Flystart for the 5wt.

For the 8wt, get the Galvan Rush. It has about the best drag system for the price.

You should be able to do all of this for under $800 or so.

This is the answer you seek.

Two Rods.

Look at Echo, or TFO. Lifetime warranties, great rods, great values.

Reels. Best value in reels right now is going to be a Lamson Guru, With my second choice going to a Ross CLA. Again, lifetime warranties, quality gear.

A Ross Flyrise will get the job done, but it's not made in USA like the rest of ross, so warranty is different. Don't buy the flystart.

If it was me:
TFO 5wt Pro Series, Lamson Guru 1.5 or 2 (I forget their sizing)

Echo Ion 7wt with a lamson Guru 3

The Imperial rods from St. Croix are good rods for the price, about $200 & the G.Loomis reels are a good buy for about $250 as well. This is the combo I use and have caught Bows up to 8lbs in Wyo & Redfish up to 10lbs in Texas. The rod is a 6wt and the reel is a 5/6wt. Hope this helps. Take care & God Bless.

The Imperial rods from St. Croix are good rods for the price, about $200 & the G.Loomis reels are a good buy for about $250 as well. This is the combo I use and have caught Bows up to 8lbs in Wyo & Redfish up to 10lbs in Texas. The rod is a 6wt and the reel is a 5/6wt. Hope this helps. Take care & God Bless.

I agree with mike on the rod. I sold St. Croix in the fly shop i worked for and own a bunch of them myself. If i would make the suggestion if you get any fly rod, make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty, Reels you can get a Ross Reel Worldwide fly reel for under 100 bucks, They have great warranties and if you want to make the next step up and go with the Ross reels USA you won't be disappointed. I and my clients used both when i fished/guided on the great lakes for steelhead. I fished them down to 0 degrees with negative wind chills, never had a problem landing large fish in extreme conditions with the reels or rods. Good luck with the fly-fishing, and if you have any questions just PM me I also taught fly-fishing classes and love to help beginners

I really like the two Galvan reels that I have. When I had a minor problem, the customer service was great. I have numerous rods. I have had great experience with two different Sage rods. I also have a 9' 6-7 weight Echo rod that is super as an entry level rod. I have also had nothing but trouble with a midrange 5-6 weight rod that broke three times with minimal use. The company would not stand behind the product. PM me if you want to know the brand.

I currently work in the industry and can echo much of what has been mentioned. You do need two rods and the lenghts and weights described will fit the bill. St. Croix is a decent rod, not what they used to be. You can get a killer deal right now, if you look (ebay), on a brand new Sage Z-Axis, as they are being discontinued. We are talking $400 or less for a new rod, that used to sell just shy of $700. I am more of a Winston fan myself and G. Loomis makes some great rods, but the Z-Axis is a great rod. You can also get used Sage and Winston rods in good condition for less than $300 if you look in the right spots.

As for reels, as mightyhunter mentioned, for the price, quality and support, you can not go wrong with Galvan. The Torque is just phenominal! Nautilus makes some outstanding reels as well. Both of these are fine, machined reels with maintance free drags. Ross used to be good, but they have gone down hill the last few years. Perhaps with 3M (Scientific Anglers) acquiring Ross, things may begin to durn around.

The best advice I can give.....do not get the low end rods! Get a mid price point rod at the very least. I say this because should you become consumed with the sport (which you will), your casting ability will soon surpass what a low end rod can do for you. Whearas a mid range rod will serve you better for a longer period of time. Either way, you will end up with the high end rods eventually. I'd really look at the Z-Axis right now.

I wanted to thank all of you for your advice on flyfishing equipment! I ended up ordering a TFO Professional Series rod (5wt) and Galvan Rush Reel. I can't wait until it arrives and I can go out and test it! Hopefully I will soon be posting some pictures of fish caught with this setup!
I will probably get a second setup as many suggested after I get practiced up with this one and want to target bigger species.

I just got back from 4 days fishing with my TFO 5 wt. Great rod. I also Brooke in my little St. Croix 4 wt and new Lamson reel. Good times.

My only advise is.... don't waste your money on an expensive rod. Its fishing, not a fashion show. True some rods are junky, but if you drop $150-200 on a rod you're going to get all you'll ever need and then some. Plus you won't cry as hard when you break it. I've broken lots of rods in the last 20 years, some on fish, but most were my fault. Tripping and running the tip into the drit has killed more rods than any fish. The biggest heart break was a custom Winston I snapped in the mid section.

I found that the 'cheaper' rods work just as well as the more expensive, 'snob' rods. As a matter of fact the Winston I trashed caught just as many trout as the $40 Abbu rod I still have. ;)

I compare rods to golf clubs, you can spend a fortune on a set of clubs, but its not going to make you a professional golfer... The guy driving the rod is what makes the fisherman, not the rod.

IMO the most important thing to buy is a quality reel with a smooth drag. I perfer a friction drag, not a 'clicker', and spend the money on QUALITY fly line, don't buy cheap junk. You're pulling line off and reeling it in constantly, a cheap reel will work but it will be anoying. Fighting a big fish with a crapy drag sucks just as much.

As mentioned, get 2 rods and reels (or a spare spool) if you plan on fishing for big and small fish. There isn't a combo that will work well for both.

I recently bought a Lamson Konik reel and am really liking it for big fish in big water.

Go to a shop and handle some rods, there are about 20 diffren't size/shape handles, I hate some of the shapes. Ge one that feels good in your hands.

Keep it simple and don't spend a fortune...

Last edited:
For a beginner, I think that's absolutely true. For a dedicated fly guy, however, I do find different rods have different applications, just like different rifles have different applications. My Sage 389-3LL casts a lot differently than my ST Croix LU 4wt. Different applications for different jobs. Different casting stroke too.

The savage 110 in 30-06 is a great rifle. It's no Kimber, but it serves it's purpose. The differences might be cosmetic or seemingly unsubstantial, but in the end, the person waving the stick, or squeezing the trigger is the one who makes the determination what gear they want, and that is based on their skill set as much as anything else.

I can muster up some more tortured logic to justify my desire to spend too much money on gear. :D

I wanted to thank everybody again for the help on choosing equipment. I have been out a few times after trout now, and am already addicted! I have found I cannot fish a lot of the places I would have normally fished with bait because of all the trees, but am still able to find plenty of spots to pull fish out of. Here are a few pictures from my trips. The biggest so far is 15" which is a pretty nice fish for the creeks I fish. 17-18" is the upper end of what one can reasonably expect to catch most of the places I fish, and 20+" would be quite large. I started out fishing in a smaller creek that is more open to allow myself to learn to cast. I am working at roll-casting to increase the number of spots I am able to fish.

First somewhat decent sized trout on the flyrod:
dsc02086sp.jpg

My setup:
dsc02100va.jpg

Biggest so far:
dsc02104tn.jpg

Back