First post! - Which OnX map to buy? Paper map question

SDJake

Heading on my first elk hunt OTC in Colorado 2nd rifle season. Just bought a Garmin Oregon 600. Went to OnX Maps to buy the chip, but I did not realize that there were a few options. Near as I can tell, I can buy a very specific Colorado chip with landowner information, or a more generic chip with four states on it, that only has the public land information.

I don't know if I care who owns the land, since I really only care/can afford to hunt public at this time. I guess the only reason I can think of to need it is if I need to get ahold of a landowner for permission to recover an animal. At the same time, I don't have any plans in the near future of hunting the other three states, so I don't need the generic info on my GPS either. Is there someone who has looked at both and can give me an opinion?

Second, I want paper maps of the area. I found it on the USGS site, but it looks like I have to buy two maps, because they split maps on the west side of the unit. I'm fine with that, but I'd like a cleaner option. When I backpacked last year in the bighorns, I bought a paper topo map at a local shop that covered a lot of ground and was pretty accurate. Who sells those online? No secret, I'm going for unit 24 so if someone knows the perfect map for that unit I'm all ears and I'll meet you at the top!

Thanks all!

You can go to mytopo.com and make your own map with just the area's you want on it.

I have the 4 state chip. It works great! I've used it CO, NM and AZ. All the info on chip is the same except landowner names

Back