Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Elk Hunt in T-minus 12 hours

Dang, I hope he not only sees one, but he shoots one.

You couldn't have hit a worse stretch of elk hunting weather than this week. I know a lot of very experienced guys who have been out and they are not see anything more than you are. Not any consolation, but you drew a bad card with this super warm weather.

Best of luck.

My daughter and her hubby hunded a few miles up river from where you are on the same side of the river and only saw wolf tracks. Tough hunting conditions.

Well, the elk hunt in western montana was not successful in terms of getting an elk. However, we did have a great time. This last weekend, we decided to give it another shot in eastern montana on some private land we had access to. We didn't see any elk, but ended up tagging my first mule deer. We were watching a small 3x3 through the spotting scope which I was contemplating shooting him until I saw another buck a little further away. I only got a quick glance at him, but I knew he was a definite shooter. I talked it over with my dad and he said he couldn't make it that far before it got dark out, but since it was our last day, he told me to give it a shot. I got suited up and jogged a half mile to get closer to the buck. When I thought I was getting close, I saw two huge mule deer bucks fighting over a group of does a quarter mile away. I thought the buck that I saw in the spotting scope was one of those two bucks fighting until he came out of the trees 50 yards from me with about 10 does. It happened quickly, but I was able to get a good shot on him before he got into the trees. I waited a few minutes and decided to go see if there was a blood trail since it was almost dark. I found a blood trail about 8 inches wide all the way up the other side of the ravine. At the end of it I found this 5x7 mule deer buck. My dad and I couldn't have been more excited! We didn't end up seeing an elk, but my dad said he saw the whole thing unfold through the spotting scope up in the truck as he sipped coffee and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Ps. How do you upload a pic? I would love to show everyone the deer.

All deer are a wonder of nature. That one is definitely worth the run, and to know that your dad was able to watch it all unfold as it happened is really cool. Nice one!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back