Fire & elk... when to return?

Sytes

I used to have a couple great 'honey hole' areas within an area that was hit with a rash of fires. I tried hunting the areas the next year though they have moved elsewhere or so I believe...
It has been around 5-6 years since I last hunted the areas and considering making a season hunt this year. I miss knowing the ins-n-outs of my old favorite areas. A good feel for where elk get pushed if pressured. A great mental map for areas to drop camp vs returning to base.

This area was also hit with a wave of wolf activity the last couple years prior to the fires. I would imagine they may have moved on with the elk... hopefully to find other good killing fields ~ away from the area I am planning a return.

I may try to do a scout trip. It is often a good migratory push through with some resident elk. Time... vacation time... tough to make a trip during this time of year. I will most likely be solo and need to reign in my desire to really head in, though believe I can still reach a couple areas.

I figure 6-7 years later, the vegetation should be in full swing and a potential return of the elk. Anyone experience a return to a fire torn area? What was learned?

You know it is amazing that you are able to even consider doing this with what you went through just a year ago. Major props to you.

Good luck in your endeavors.

I hunted a burn area the year after it burned and I have been back each year since. Working on 10 years now. The area I hunt has a small finger canyon of very steep country with great cover and water that did not burn in the fire. The elk bed in this canyon during the day and feed in the burn at night. I can typically catch a bull either coming or going to the feeding area in the morning or evening. I try to stay out of the bedding area during the day to keep them coming back. From what I have seen the elk will go just far enough to not catch on fire and then be right back as soon as the first grass comes in. I would say that this is largely the result of them having some place that was unburned and provides them some security during the day.

Since I never hunted this area before it burned I cant say how it changed but I can say that the hunting has only gotten better each year. In the 10 years I have hunted this area I have taken 4 bulls and 2 cows.

I've seen bulls roll in the ashes of a prescribed burn the next day but not much experience with a raging fire. Within a few years of the fire that place should be golden again I would imagine and possibly better than before. Good luck scouting.

One thing to consider I've noticed that is hard to see via Google Earth, etc, is blow down. Many remaining snags will fall over within a few years. One area that I like to hunt had a raging fire in 2000 ca, but alot of it is littered with down fall that literally makes part of the drainage inaccessible. Therefore, what may seem like a good approach or one that you previously used may need to be changed.

Anyway, something to consider.

You should be hitting the area just right I'd say. My fathers hunting area burned in the fires of 2004. He's killed his three biggest bulls ever in the last 4 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back