Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Favorite western towns

I detest tourist towns, Crested Butte went down the tubes long ago. Steamboat Springs was a cool place to grow up but the tourist thing killed it too. I kind of like Nucla/Naturita.

I've got a buddy that lives in Dry Creek Basin, south of Naturita. Used to be amazing elk hunting in archery, but the place looks like a KOA campground the last couple of years. I like fly fishing the river in Naturita when I go out there.

Places that don't change a bunch, like Wisdom Montana.

For a weird town, Seeley Lake Montana is apparently a retirement community for carnies.

There are many great places i've visited that i thought worth moving to but i made a big move 30 years ago to the timbered mountains of far north eastern Calif and made my nest around all the varied hunting and fishing opportunities on open to the Public Land around Lake Almanor. I do love to visit other places but it's always nice to be back Home!

I've been blessed to hunt and fish a lot of cool places. I suspect a lot of it depends upon your perspectives on what is "fun." If not for spousal influences on needed amenities, you could probably forward my mail to any of these places and I would find plenty to occupy my time (not in order of preference):

Malta, MT
Dillon, MT
Lewistown, MT (since the DQ closed, it is almost off my list)
Sheridan, WY
Cody, WY
Petersburg, AK
Hotchkiss, CO
Datil, NM
Springerville, AZ
Williams, AZ
Patagonia, AZ
Choteau, MT
Walden, CO

I agree that Bozeman, my current home, is a lot different than it was when I moved here 26 years ago. I tried to lock the gate behind me when I got here, as has everyone who moved here prior/since I got here. That said, I have nothing keeping me here, other than the reality that in all my travels of hunting I have not found a better balance of amenities my wife likes with the outdoor options out my back door and the crazy season length and access to tags we enjoy as Montana residents. I will say that Wyoming tugs at my soul when the antelope are on my mind, when the elk are bugling, and when the deer are rutting.

I was going to say Malta. Glad I 'm not alone Randy. I also am partial to Shelby. But, I was born there, so have a connection. mtmuley

Randy mentioned 2 that are nearby & were on my list of home possibilities,but I wound up in between.
Datil,NM & Springerville,AZ...
Luna,NM is another along with Alpine,AZ.

Every time I drive through Baker City, OR with the Blue Mountains in the background, the Wallowas to the NE, the Owyhees to the south, and Hells Canyon plus the entire state of Idaho in the foreground, I think now here is a place I could put down roots. If you hunt Chukars as well as big game, you'd be hard pressed to find a better center point on the map for a home base.

Being an east coast transplant, when I first started hunting the west I thought Pagosa Springs, CO was the greatest place on earth. Like so many places, it changed way to much. I mostly hunt Idaho now so Coeur d'Alene, McCall, Stanley, Salmon, and even Boise have been on my short list for a long time but if my wife ever gave me the green light to just pick a place, I'd likely never make up my mind.

Back