Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Favorite western towns

More than one..Crested Butte, Lake City, Manitou Springs, Ouray, Lake City in Colorado. Taos and Santa Fe in NM. Flagstaff for Arizona. Lake City holds the most family memories.

Bozeman Montana

Bumper to bumper traffic, great new roundabouts.
Lots of roosters, huns, whitetail bucks - no access.
RO driftboats behind Toyota Tundras driven by large-bearded, flat billed cap wearing 20-30 somethings parked by the dozens at assorted microbreweries.
"Save Bozeman" signs in every east side yard in town - where a tiny house within walking distance to the sushi bar runs about $425,000.
Sitka clad folks everywhere.
Landscaping, dry walling, cement finish, and property management jobs by the thousands.
Body slamming-rich guy-man walked with dinosaur-politicians.

Used to be a great place........

Sounds like you should probably move. You sound pretty miserable.
I've lived in 7 different towns/cities....Bozeman is at the top of my list, along with several other places in MT.

Sounds like you should probably move. You sound pretty miserable.
I've lived in 7 different towns/cities....Bozeman is at the top of my list, along with several other places in MT.

Then good for you and your relocation will be a short one.

Saying anything factual/negative about Bozeman around here is like calling your kid ugly. Laughing

Honestly, i regret my initial post. Onpoint, please accept my apologies for the patronizing you-don’t-know-how-good-you-have-it comment. I fear it sent the thread down the drain. Back to the topic... For me, it’s Gardiner, MT. Lots of wildlife and endless Yellowstone and A-B Wilderness access. Plus it’s where I grew up. :) I also lived in Durango CO for a while and I really grew fond of that place, as well.

Last edited:
No worries, rmy1.
I do realize everything is a sliding scale of perspective. Just, I haven't been in a town bigger than Billings since 1984. Small town hick...............
Little bit of cynicism from drake is no big deal. Cracks me up.
I said long some time ago (on here) that some people get their panties twisted kinda' easy for guys who shoot guns and drive trucks:)

No worries, rmy1.
I do realize everything is a sliding scale of perspective. Just, I haven't been in a town bigger than Billings since 1984. Small town hick...............
Little bit of cynicism from drake is no big deal. Cracks me up.
I said long some time ago (on here) that some people get their panties twisted kinda' easy for guys who shoot guns and drive trucks:)

You’re very right. Everything is about one’s perspective. And here’s mine: If that’s true about you and no town bigger than Billings, you’re luckier than most. :)

No cynicism here. Just pointing out that you sound pretty unhappy about living in a place that most outdoorsmen would love to be. Have a good Turkey Day. Hope you find a deer to kill.

.............living in a place that most outdoorsmen would love to be.

Again, that sliding scale of perspective.....
I'm really happy I happened to have lived in Bozo 32 years ago, consequently - that's what colors my perspective.
Turkey day will start way before sunrise, somewhere "out there".
Thanks.

Silverton Co, Chama NM

I have to agree with Chama, NM Can't think of any place I would rather be. I have never been to Silverton, but if it's rated up there with Chama, I will have to make a trip next October while spending my two weeks in Chama (will be my 29th year going).

Some of the small towns in western Colorado like Pagosa Springs, Creede, Gunnison 25-35 years ago were really special. Things change and usually for the worst. I feel for the real outdoorsmen in places like Bozeman that deal with the want-a-bee, kuiu wearing, cold smoke drinking, over-in-debt outdoorsy types on a daily basis. It would be a tough crowd to follow. Currently, I'm pretty partial to Seeley Lake MT, Plains MT, Ennis MT, Dolores, CO, and Alpine WY; to name a few.

Forsyth,Montana is an outdoorsman paradise.Has all the big game close by,great bird hunting,and fishing on the yellowstone.I'd move there in a minute
Lander,Wyoming was a decent place to stop for a night before heading into the elk mountains.In fact,I like almost every town I've been to in Wyoming
Fairplay and Gunnison Colorado are really nice

Lived in Forsyth for two years, probably one of my favorite all time smaller towns. I would move back tomorrow if the right opportunity presented itself!

Ok another one of my favorites is Colstrip, Montana. I am fortunate to go there often for work but I have yet to find a town of its size that is as clean, friendly, and nice. Something about towns where people still work for a living.

Well you just can’t beat bear creek Montana, because of the pig races of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back