Billy Gibbons
Don Felder
Gary Moore
Josh Smith
Buddy Whittington

many more...

How the heck did I leave Jimmy Page off?...and Keaggy

Last edited:
When I was in high school, we non-guitarist head bangers would argue this at length. As I've tried to learn to play and associated with some amazing players, it has become a lot harder to make a such a list. Many of the guitar gods of the 1970's won't make my top ten.

Every time I think I know who the best in the world is, @noharleyyet will send me a vid of some kid I've never heard of tearing it up.

A lot of players who might make this list are what my son calls, "Easy Money" players. Not really technical, but they have a distinct style or groove that makes them unique.
Others are not flashy, but can do anything and kill it.

My list may have some no one has ever hear of, and that's OK. What I write today might be different than what I write tomorrow. If you see a name you don't know, its worth a google. The second I hit send, I will think of a couple more. This list really has no ending.

Other than Phil Keaggy being #1 for me, no particular order.

Phil Keaggy
Eric Engerbretson
Morgan Wick
Scott Lack
Jeff Beck
Skunk Baxter
Buddy Guy
Sonny Landreth
David Gilmour
Steve Morse
Mark Knofler
Doyle Dykes
Django
John Pizzarelli (and his dad)
Lincoln Brewster

Being from Minnesota, I have to throw out Prince. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned John Mayer... I know he gets some hate, but some of his bluesy stuff really impresses me. I'm not a music buff though.
Mayer is awesome...but over the top annoying. He's a shut up and dribble kind of player. ; )

Back