Favorite meat

I've had Elk and thought it was the closest to beef of any wild game I've ever eaten. Since I've only hunted white tail, that makes up about 95% of my diet so that's probably my favorite, followed by fresh 'gator tail, fresh turkey breast and wild pig. The worst wild game I've ever had was South Georgia black bear; but I think it was the manner in which my ex-inlaws had processed it. When it comes to game birds, nothing beats old Bob White, no matter how it's prepared. Then a good catfish stew is pretty hard to beat as long as it's made with a tomato base.

Sitka Blacktail and pronghorn are my two favorites when it comes to steaks/roasts on the grill or baked. Next is wild pork, followed by elk and whitetail.

Regarding small game and birds; I'd put fried rabbit at the top, huns/doves next. Pheasant and squirrel I like as well. Squirrel tastes good, just tough, but then again I'd be tough too if I did pullups all day! Wild turkey I'll eat, but only because I like to hunt them. Sage grouse breasts, filleted and fried are good as well, but quite close resemble beef liver.

I want to know how good eatin' this was.

Attachments

• 098802c7-9589-5bd7-b949-effd46ae096e.preview-300.jpg
    098802c7-9589-5bd7-b949-effd46ae096e.preview-300.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 403
I'm curious about moose and axis.

No high fence moose operations in Texas? ;)

I pretty much rate elk, whitetail and pronghorn steaks equally. Those steaks are always eaten before the muley steaks. For birds, I prefer chukar and huns.

Elk sirloin or round tenderized, breaded, and fried.
Elk burger...on a bun or by itself, grilled or skillet.
Elk Backstrap and tenderloin medallions grilled medium rare.
Dove beer battered & deep fried.
Deep fried corn meal (or Zatarain's) dredged crappie...tied with dove.
Chicken Fried Whitetail
Chicken Fried Muley

In that order.....and.the aorta's fine.

If that's Texas cookin' sign me up.
I like all game but life is good with an elk in the freezer.

If that's Texas cookin' sign me up.
I like all game but life is good with an elk in the freezer.

The cows my boys took this season are the best ever, 4 of us put a little over 90lbs equal cuts each in the freezer...should last us into next October. If there's anything better, I haven't tasted it yet.

Brook Trout

Great grandma Grace would have the fire going and the griddle hot before she baited her hook, er,."garden hackle",...... And would then proceed with speed to her favorite deep water in Beckley Canyon. Those hand sized brookiies would be gutted, corn mealed and in the pan within 30 seconds of being caught. Salmon pink colored meat tasted great but the adventure of being on the "crick" with her elevated the culinary adventure to the top.

Antelope is by far my favorite, whether it's steaks on the grill or a roast done in the smoker. Elk is a close second (as I have elk burger cooking in a batch of red gravy right now). My mom finally gave wild game a try after me hunting my whole life and she decided she liked antelope, and my dad is very fond of elk. You can't beat a back east fat whitetail doe. I'm one of those gross few in the minority that eats organ meat. Antelope liver and heart is my favorite, followed by elk liver and heart. I love rabbit nuggets that I make deep fried in beer batter. I cut wild turkey breast into strips and marinade it in Italian dressing and do it on the grill on a bed of brown rice. Goose and duck I make into jambalya. I like to cook trout in aluminum foil with lemon pepper and butter in the coals of a fire or on the grill. I can't wait to try bear meat.

Fresh Tuna(what ever I could catch back in the day)
Yellowtail
Antelope
Elk
Whitetail
Muledeer
Grouse
Sandhill Crane
Dove
Canada Goose
Puddle Ducks

As a kid living in East Africa when hunting was still legal, I got to taste a wide variety of game. One extremely memorable meal was when my dad tricked me into eating eland liver. My mom used to make standard cow's liver/onions with the liver way over-cooked, and had he told me he was serving liver, I would have never tried it with an open mind.

That night eating eland liver, sliced thin, perfectly seasoned (almost done as blackened redfish is done) on a bed of perfectly sauteed onions was a true revelation of goodness.

Oryx is my favorite. Much like veal.

Elk and antelope, pretty hard to choose between them. I have a simple recipe that works on both and beef steak as well. The meat needs to be cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Marinate in worchestershire sauce for 30-60 minutes, season with a liberal application of Morton's Natures Seasonings, pan fry in butter on a medium high heat 3 minutes on one side, 2 1/2 minutes on the other side, turn the heat down, cover and simmer 30-60 seconds to achieve a medium rare doneness. As with any protein, the butter needs to be well heated before the meat goes in the pan. Plate and pour the pan drippings over, this step is very important. You will get all the carmelized seasoned butter fat and it will absorb into the meat as it cools from cooking temperature. I promise you, non-game eaters will be asking for seconds.

A good cook can do wonders, some marginal table fare can be made pretty tasty with the right training. Sadly, the opposite is also true.
I cook most of the meat I eat myself so that removes experience from the math.
I like caribou outside the rut, then elk also outside the rut, never really had a taste for piss.

Mountain Lion
non rut Bighorn sheep
Gemsbok
Antelope
But, just take look at my belly and you can see that I eat everything I get lucky enough to kill.

Don't start throwing rocks my direction, but I do have to go with the Mtn Lion. Followed by halibut, which I never get. Elk is probably next. I have heard bighorn is great, but never had it.

Some preferences might be influenced by effort and hunger. Dall sheep tenderloins are great but at the time I was so tired I would have relished my vibram boot soles with ketchup. I like moose ok but the three I shot were so old they had Medicare cards and grilled I had some minor misgivings. One, BC F & G estimated was past being able to accurately age. The family votes for pronghorn tops, whitetail "veal" a close 2nd, anything with antlers is sausage except for the tenders and the "backstraps'. Gemsbok is great but that opinion is influenced by that fact I was in Africa on one of a few "trips of a lifetime". Impala ranks in the "top ten" but so did a Nesco full of raccoon a few eons ago at a free Hunter's Dinner. Caribou in the rut is inedible but otherwise quite tasty. Elk meat ranks right near the top but, as with many wild game meat, the cow makes better dining than a stinky rutting bull. (Why do we hunt bucks during the rut AND want good meat?) Bison, moderately to well aged is very good but you do have to deal with 100s of pounds of burger when you kill one, hump roasts, prime ribs, steaks are super. Chukars are fine, pheasants take some culinary education and woodcock 'feel' like liver to me and I don't care for liver. I do agree that ducks bring up the tail end of the menu, except for the woodcock.
Actually, my favorite game meat is grilled over a fire, rare to medium rare, never over-cooked and accompanied by a garnish of fine whiskey, neat, coffee later thank you.

Elk, moose, antelope, deer, bear in that order. For fish, Dorado, halibut, salmon, walleye, trout. Birds = chukar, quail, grouse, then ducks at the bottom of the list.

Caribou hands down if you ask me I have tried both deer species,moose,elk,and about anything wild except sheep would love to try it. But I would shoot bou every year if possible to fill the freezer. Love it tender great taste even if it isn't seasoned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back