Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Favorite meat

I dont know what I was thinking when I left walleye off my list. Walleye fried over a fire with my own seasoning recipe with fried potatoes.

Boiled Crawfish...Don't know if they are technically "wild" but my favorite especially in the Spring.

Elk-Grilled Tenderloin or Backstrap
Redfish- Marinated and Grilled
Dove breast- Jalapeno in the middle wrapped in bacon. Marinated and grilled
Whitetail- Chicken fried Backstrap
Wild Turkey Breast- Done the same way as Dove above or in a Gumbo
Antelope- Grilled I guess(only way I have had it)
Duck- Gumbo

Don't know why ducks get such a bad rap. For a dark meated bird they are great. Maybe it depends on the bird, what they've been eating, how they were prepared. Can't beat a woodie fattened on acorns or a pintail fattened on corn - of course they don't taste like chicken, but if you want chicken go buy it.

The last ruffed grouse and mountain quail I had came close to chicken.

At the bottom of the bird list are chukars, blue grouse, sharptails. All crockpot fare.

Best meat: Spring chinook salmon, sea-run cutthroats, summer steelhead, bison, whitetail, muley from the high Cascade Mountains, blacktail, elk.

So far my favorite is a young bull Moose. Least favorite is Big Horn ram, even the jerky had a foul smell/flavor to it.

Don't know why ducks get such a bad rap. For a dark meated bird they are great. Maybe it depends on the bird, what they've been eating, how they were prepared. Can't beat a woodie fattened on acorns or a pintail fattened on corn - of course they don't taste like chicken, but if you want chicken go buy it.

+1 on the ducks

Four legged critter is antelope.

Flying critter is chukar, closely followed by duck.

Swimming critter is walleye.

Individual animals vary so much, it all depends. But most back straps grilled (smoked) until the dark red blood stops running are very good. Same with bird breast meat. I grind most of the rest of the meat into burger and sausages and enjoy them all year. Some individual animals are very strong tasting. They are a challenge. Big horn tenderloin is right up there with elk and antelope and whitetail and mulies off alfalfa before the rut. I eat a lot of duck breasts cooked rare.

Grilled antelope backstrap is at the top of heap for me. Whitail is a close second, tied with moose.
There's a lot to be said for fresh caught silver salmon drizzled with pancake syrup and cooked over an open fire

drathaar - If you have eaten mountain lion, then you have also eaten big horn sheep, second hand.

hooper - Now that you mentioned it, my wife has given away more meat than I would like but she always been seems to find a family that really needed it. She has never given away antelope, even the burger.

The secret to tasty waterfowl is cooking it rare in the classic sense, just warm in the middle. I've never been squeamish about trying anything except the first time I had Canada goose breast that looked like seared ahi. My buddy said, "Just close your eyes and put it in your mouth". I did and that was the end of "overcooked" waterfowl for me. If a duck has been feeding on fish or crustaceans, you might as well throw away.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back