Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

In Praise of the Neck Roast

rtraverdavis

SwaggyD and Doug fckn Sticky know what I’m talking about.

Jokes about the virtues of Montana mule deer management and swollen forky necks aside, neck meat has become one of my favorite of elk or deer—especially Mississippi Roast style. Big chunk of sinewy meat, perfect for easy slow cooking.

Unbrowned roast in the slow cooker:

IMG_0266.jpeg

Cover in a sliced up stick of butter, a packet of powdered ranch mix, a packet of au jus mix, most of a jar of pepperoncinis and a couple splashes of pepperoncini juice. Set slow cooker on high for four to eight hours, depending on the size of the roast.

IMG_0267.jpeg

Done, ready to shred:

IMG_0268.jpeg

Shredded:

IMG_0269.jpeg

Cut some good crusty bread, throw on a pan, slop some shredded roast on the bread with some provolone, then drizzle with concentrated au jus. Put in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Sammiches:

IMG_0270.jpeg

A solid New Year’s party snack.

What are your favorite ways to do neck roasts?

Last edited:
Not sure about favorite, but damn good. Need to explore more to determine which is the best.

I cooked up the neck roast from this years bighorn sheep ram and used Hank Shaws barbacoa recipe. I cooked on low for over 10 hours. Made this on a family ski weekend for a big group and it was a hit. Served up as Mexican street tacos with cilantro rice and homemade black beans as sides. Served topped with some habanero hot sauce from this years garden haul.

Attachments

• IMG_8471.jpeg
    IMG_8471.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8472.jpeg
    IMG_8472.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Neck roasts are very under utilized in my opinion. Most end up in the grind. The amount of meat that comes off an elk neck blows my mind every time I cut one up.

My favorite neck roast “recipe” right now is:
- dry rub roast
- smoke low and slow with hickory until it hits “the stall” (about 160-170)
- move smoked roast to crockpot, throw in a stick of butter or some lard, favorite bbq sauce, and a splash of liquid (apple cider, broth, water, Dr Pepper, etc)
- cook on low until it pulls

Eat it like pulled pork.

SwaggyD and Doug fckn Sticky know what I’m talking about.

Jokes about the virtues of Montana mule deer management and swollen forky necks aside, neck meat has become one of my favorite of elk or deer—especially Mississippi Roast style. Big chunk of sinewy meat, perfect for easy slow cooking.

Unbrowned roast in the slow cooker:

View attachment 308416

Cover in a sliced up stick of butter, a packet of powdered ranch mix, a packet of au jus mix, most of a jar of pepperoncinis and a couple splashes of pepperoncini juice. Set slow cooker on high for four to eight hours, depending on the size of the roast.

View attachment 308419

Done, ready to shred:

View attachment 308420

Shredded:

View attachment 308418

Cut some good crusty bread, throw on a pan, slop some shredded roast on the bread with some provolone, then drizzle with concentrated au jus. Put in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Sammiches:

View attachment 308417

A solid New Year’s party snack.

What are your favorite ways to do neck roasts?
I like fancy cooking but a Mississippi Roast is some low brow fine dining! Love it.

This is what happens when marital communication is not clear. I could legit cry. Not because I need a new dinner plan but because I just wasted elk meat. FML. It’s totally f$&@ed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
This is what happens when marital communication is not clear. I could legit cry. Not because I need a new dinner plan but because I just wasted elk meat. FML. It’s totally f$&@ed

wait what happened? doesn't it just need a shredding?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back