Favorite Camo

VAspeedgoat

Here is one I think should stir up a lot of good stuff. What is everyone's favorite camo pattern. It can be old or new or of your own invention(include pic). If you want you can break it down to terrain type also.

My favorite all around pattern is natural gear. I have yet to find a place it doesn't work from eastern woodlands to Wyoming sage. I don't own any but am impressed with asat also.

For my deer hunting I still like skyline apparition. They dont make it anymore but just got a coat made by day one camo last year. I think you can still buy fabric by the yard.

Unfortunately though I think I have killed more deer on the farm here with a faded carhart coat and liberty bibs. Its a little more important to wear blaze orange with a brown coat on!

My favorite camo pattern is "get down" and "stay still." (Stole that line from Fred Bear.) Maybe it's just me, but I am more concerned about game's nose and ears than I am their eyes.

I've got more Mountain Mimicry than anything else. I like old photos of big bucks & bulls, with hunters in jeans and red flannel ................ how did they do it without fancy camo?:eek:

.....do you think they saw someones picture on the wall at the gas station and said "Wow...that guy shot an awesome buck, and he's wearing an awesome black & red flannel shirt, maybe if I get one of those I'll find myself one of those dandy bucks too".

.....probably not, they just got it done without worrying what joe blow was doing. Hunting spots got carried down through the generations, not plastered all over the internet.

On that note...I have Optifade Open Country...and can't afford to be changing it every other year to keep up with the joneses, so it's probably what I will have for a long time.

For big game the best camo is learning when to stay still and down wind. All the big name camo is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend your hard earned money on hype.
Just my $.02 worth
Dan

What ever is on sale. I don't think I own any camo that matches.

Whatever color is on the clothing I want to wear that day. Like elkantlers, I couldn't match if I tried and I wear solid colors a lot.

Scent and movement is everything

Just to prove a point, I wore a Hawaiian floral shirt (blue, yellow, red, orange) during an early fall bow hunt once. Didn't seem to bother the deer one bit. When I do wear camo, it's my old USMC BCD's.

I have killed turkey on the east coast in the spring wearing Kuiu.

Obviously whatever works...works.

Just to prove a point, I wore a Hawaiian floral shirt (blue, yellow, red, orange) during an early fall bow hunt once. Didn't seem to bother the deer one bit. When I do wear camo, it's my old USMC BCD's.

I also remember watching a guy coyote hunting wearing a santa suit. I don't remember who it was or what show it was on but it made the point that you don't really need the super expensive camo.

Whatever I find that is cheap. I can't believe the cost of some of the camo out there.

Patrick

I like Max 1 where I normally hunt for antelope. I found a screaming deal on Sitka shirts in my fat size, so that's the only reason I own one now, and it has made quite the difference in those really hot days during archery season. I also found a really good deal on a First lite shirt in Max 1 and use that as well. Those are my first delves into the 'hi' quality hunting clothes, and there is a difference over cotton, for sure. I still own a good amount of other realtree patterns that work in the elk woods. I still wear my ACU pants the Army issued :D

Last edited:
Whatever's on sale and I have quite a mixture. I really do like mossy oak brush for calling coyotes in CRP here in KS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back