Caribou Gear

Favorite Camo

Lol at some of the comments. I once read an article that said whitetails are color blind to hot pink. I don't think I'm ready to make that kund of statement but my daughter would for sure. New from realtree for 2016 realtree hardwoods pink leaf ap.

Once heard a guy say only eastern guys worry about caliber and camo. On a very limited number of times out west I find this to be more right than wrong. We just can't help ourselves though:)

I actually had really bad luck with Natural Gear. For whatever reason I was always being spotted wearing that. I do love their snow camo though. You just have to dirty it up some. ASAT is probably my favorite. Other than that, I really go for the garment over the pattern.

Does anyone check there camo with a Black light for UV? I have some friends that swear by this method and its true I've seen some cloths just light up under a black light. I guess I need to do some reaserch on elk and deer eyes. My buddies swear it makes a difference.

I use to take the UV precautions, but have not lately. I am not sure it makes a difference with elk. I have had close encounters during archery season with and without the UV "treatment".

Does anyone know what ever happened to the "Treebark" camo pattern? I have several "older" T-shirts and a couple of pants. Now you cannot even find it. Just curious. I know Pete Sheply (PSE founder) wore it all the time in the past. I like to break up my camo patterns (i.e. Treebark pants with a different pattern top).

I do like the Sitka - Optifade Open Country and KUIU - Verde. But, as others have stated above . . . . just about anything will work.

For big game the best camo is learning when to stay still and down wind. All the big name camo is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend your hard earned money on hype.
Just my $.02 worth
Dan
I agree with Dan. So many people just have to have the latest and greatest regardless of how much it costs. Paying $50-$60 for a camo t-shirt is rediculous, $100 for camo pants, get real. Just because it's the newest thing out there?
Game animals are color blind anyway so it doesn't matter as long as you break up your outline and don't move at the wrong time.

Back to that UV suggestion - I know first hand that White camo makes a huge difference with UV. Cheap material especially when a little damp looks purple and we had lots of geese flare from it. Heck, we could see it coming through. We couldnt when the material is dry but sure could when it got wet. We started buying better quality whites and washed in the UV wash stuff and it worked. Having said that I have noticed it a lot more with waterfowl than I ever have with big game.

I usually go with what's on sale since I'm going to beat the sh*t out of it anyway. I do like the Optifade, Max-1 and Kuiu verde for goin to town though. Wife hates them all equally but I like to look good when I roll to the store for feminine hygene products for the wife or the gas station for some fuel and slim jims.

I think I can get 1 more season out of my ascent pants before either getting another pair or trying something else. Maybe i'll just get grey so I can wear them to work from time to time since they're so comfortable.

I try to buy ASAT when I can find a good deal but typically won't turn down any quality gear due to its pattern.I'm too poor to pay full price for everything so that I can match so I have to make due. I like the looks of the MAX-1 but more from a style mindset than function. Not sure why. I have some KUIU Vias rain pants I like, a few pieces of ASAT, some Cabela's Outfitter pattern pants, a lot of Realtree Hardwoods, and the only Mossy Oak I own is a Heater Body Suit, MO Treestand beanie and First Lite boxers. I have been looking for some solid color merino stuff that I can multi-use.

UV- just start washing in a detergent that doesn't have any 'brighteners' in it (or fragrance). Easy to find in any grocery store and a hell of a lot cheaper than the hiped stuff. Last box I bought was like $5.00.

My favorite camo pattern is "get down" and "stay still." (Stole that line from Fred Bear.) Maybe it's just me, but I am more concerned about game's nose and ears than I am their eyes.
I can tell somebody here is long in the tooth. But if one must be fashionable when hunting, I'd pick up some of that "morning wood" pattern. That one is great.

Sitka all the way. Love the pattern and quality of their stuff.

I love Sitka. I like the Optifade pattern but was also wearing it before Optifade. I just really enjoy the gear in general and would probably wear Sitka even if it featured the Camo-Booty pattern. :)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back