Father's Day present from my daughter.

That is beautiful! That has to be dang near the best fathers day gift I've ever seen! Shit, my wife didn't even wish me a happy birthday this year...

Thanks, guys. I am very proud of her. Wish I could continue fishing with Dad's creel but it's plumb wore out. Actually very fragile. His dad's creel was whole reed and much sturdier. Unfortunately, someone stole it years ago during one of Mom's garage sales.

I have many fond memories of Dad fly fishing mountain lakes and streams in Western Montana with my brother and me back in the sixties. He was an artist with a fly rod. My first fly rod was under the Christmas tree 1961. I still have it. Pristine condition ... after replacing all guides and rewrapping it ... twice. I haven't used it in years. Pretty thing. Guess I should figure out some way to display it.

Fathers Day is always a time for reflection. I'm sure this item will provide many more years of reflection ... long after I am gone. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks, guys. I am very proud of her. Wish I could continue fishing with Dad's creel but it's plumb wore out. Actually very fragile. His dad's creel was whole reed and much sturdier. Unfortunately, someone stole it years ago during one of Mom's garage sales.

I have many fond memories of Dad fly fishing mountain lakes and streams in Western Montana with my brother and me back in the sixties. He was an artist with a fly rod. My first fly rod was under the Christmas tree 1961. I still have it. Pristine condition ... after replacing all guides and rewrapping it ... twice. I haven't used it in years. Pretty thing. Guess I should figure out some way to display it.

Fathers Day is always a time for reflection. I'm sure this item will provide many more years of reflection ... long after I am gone. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Well said...

It's my dad's old fishing creel and lure box. Spinner visible through the creel lid drop chute is attached to pull chain for light switch. My daughter painted the brook trout.
View attachment 280851
View attachment 280852View attachment 280853
Wow holy friggin moly that’s nice! Im not much of a fly guy but I love the detail in the fish! And that it’s not just mantel decoration; that’s a lamp?! That’s really something O.H.! Big kudos to her, excellent job all around

The spinner lure visible in the creel lid portal is tied to the end of the pull chain for light switch. Barbs are cut off and hooks safely curled in.

Edit: Sorry, redundant post. A month fighting pneumonia has messed me up.

Last edited:
Back