Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Factory ammo suggestions for tikka .30-06

Ruckus

Oi All,

I am looking for some suggestions on what factory ammo tends to shoot best out of Tikka rifles, so I do not spend an arm and leg trying to figure out what my rifle likes. I know I will still go through a trial and error process but was looking to narrow down the initial options. It is for the .30-06 T3x lite, I have never owned a Tikka before so it is a brand new experiment. Eventually I hope to hand load but right now factory loads is where I am logistically. I appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
ruckus

That is a tough one. I am not sure you are going to find a brand of factory that a brand of rifle will like, there are just too many variables, but I suppose it is worth a try. My tikka shoots federal trophy bonded tips the best.

Check out underwood ammo. They mainly load nosler products and a box of 30-06 costs 35 dollars. My dad has had success with them. They are a family owned company from
Illinois, great people to deal with and very knowledgeable.

1st question - whatcha shooting at?

FWIW, any rifle I buy, new or used, I run a box of Federal blue boxes through it. I've found over the years that any rig with a sound set up will shoot those very well.

If I were a hunter with a limited budget, I would be very content shooting those at any critter encountered, elk included.

Find some Federal or Nosler stuff loaded with 165 gr. Accubonds. They would be a great bullet in your rifle for everything. The same weight in a Partition I would try next.

Tikka's generally shoot well so there shouldn't bee too much of a learning curve. Federal Premium loads have shot well in a variety of rifles for me, I'd be checking out Nosler's continual expansion of loaded ammunition as well.

I am using Nosler Trophy w/165 Accubonds in my -06 now.
I had been using Federal with Barnes til they discontinued them,Barnes bullets that is.
Use the Blue Federals to sight it in and break it in.
I'm going to try Federals copper now and Barnes loads too. I love the Barnes TSX and my -06 did.
The Accubonds shoot as good and at distance, but I like Barnes final results better still.
I have tried 180's too but the 165's have always shot better groups in my 700.
Still thinking of a Tikka, Howa or Vanguard in -06 for back up rifle for myself.

i have always shot rems .243 or 7 mm mag, so this is a complete change up for me. Rancho Loco i hunt everything from javelina to elk. this is some great advice from all of you thanks

I have had good luck with Federal Fusions out of anything I've shot it with. My 30-06 shoots 165 grain Fusions amazingly. I think they are like $17 a box.

I have found my particular T3 superlite 30-06 likes the Nosler Trophy Grade 165 Accubonds. It does however group the 165 Federal Fusions almost identically. So, I use the fusions for range work and hunt with the Accubonds. To be perfectly honest, I haven't found any 165gr factory loads that all group under an inch at 100, but it opens up some with 180's. On a good day, I can get the Accubonds and the Fusions under .5. I have been really pleased with mine so far.

Try some Barnes TTSX 150g. They are lighter so less recoil in your light rifle. And with Barnes bullets you WANT to be shooting the lighter bullets since they retain all of their weight and like to go fast.

Check out underwood ammo. They mainly load nosler products and a box of 30-06 costs 35 dollars. My dad has had success with them. They are a family owned company from
Illinois, great people to deal with and very knowledgeable.

Checked them out. I'll probably be ordering from them. Thanks for the tip!

Checked them out. I'll probably be ordering from them. Thanks for the tip!

Just a warning i ordered a box of these for my 300 mag. Shot about 8 shots and six of them showed signs of over pressure. Scared me and haven't shot any more of them. It's a bummer because I love the accubonds

I'm using Nosler trophy 165 gr accubonds so far so good in my browning x bolt 06

Back