Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC

Mako

OK, so I'm a fanboy of the 6.5's. I have a model 70EW in 6.5CM, a T3x Hunter in 6.5 Swede, and am contemplating the more powerful magnum-ish 6.5's. I primarily hunt black bear, boar/hogs, and deer. Don't really need something that powerful for that task, but in addition to being hunters, I think that for many of us, guns are our hobby. Besides that, there always seems to be space for one more in the safe!

Anyway, I handload, so I'm not concerned with finding factory ammo as I know it's pretty much unobtanium for these two calibers. That said, I think the -284 has always more or less been a hand loaders cartridge anyway as I can't remember ever seeing factory ammo for it on any gun shelf anywhere. For that matter, I don't remember seeing any 6.5 PRC ammo either despite rifles chambered for it being out for a few years now. It also looks like Christensen arms offers several of their hunting rifles in the -284, so it's nice to see that I can get something new in that chambering, rather than having to go the custom route.

I'm thinking the -284 would be the way to go as a hand loader since it isn't a short action like the PRC, so I wouldn't be limited to OAL of the magazine.

Anyway, those of you that have one or the other, or both, please share your thoughts, especially any positives or negatives.

Last edited:
My thinking is I can use the same brass for both. Easily available and affordable. Powders might align I haven't looked that close yet. I don't need a 6.5, but all the cool kids have one. And, I don't care to have a PRC of any flavor. The AI .06 with the right bullet would be nasty. mtmuley

For your original question - 6.5-284. Really, my answer is both - I’d send the creedmoor down the road for a PRC.

Since everyone else added the 6.5-06 over your original choices (and I think that’s a great choice) I say if you want a magnum then get one - 6.5-300. Burn powder, burn barrels, but it’s a damn laser. I’d also throw in the rpm if you want to be more civilized and have a lighter rifle

What platform and magazine configuration?

I’ve got a CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. Was very easy to load for once I found the bullet it liked. I also load for a custom 6.5x284 put together by a local gun smith, and it is nothing short of a debacle. I assume it’s the gun build and not the caliber but I do know the PRC wasn’t very hard to load for.

I have a 6.5x284 in a single shot Cooper. I love it. Hand loaded for it until a few years ago.
I didn't do anything extreme for it velocity wise I was 2900-3100 if I remember right. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it, minimal recoil, killed a lot of deer with it, killed cow elk last year with it.

Nosler Accubond LR 129 Grain
Lapua Brass

Also used:
Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail 140 gr

Cannot for the life of me remember the powder I used.

Hope this helps.

I have 2- 6.5x284's and have really grown to love that caliber. I shoot 140gr bullets at 2950fps.

If I was wanting to shoot a heavier bullet like a 150+ I would look at the PRC.

Being a handloader myself I would eliminate the 6.5x284 right away. Problem you may very well run into is finding case's. I went with the 6.5x06 and recall thinking at the time I should have gone with the 6.5x270, don't remember why anymore. I have now that 6.5x06, a 6.5x55 and just had a rifle rebarreled to 260 Rem. I too am a lover of 6.5's! I've killed a decent number of deer with the 6.5x06 and three elk. From what I've seen the thing simply knocks them down! But then I'm quite sure my 6.5x55 and 260 would do the same with poroperly placed good bullet's! I think that deciding which cartridge to go to you need
to check and see how difficult it may be o get component's! When I had my 260 done what I wanted was a 250-3000 for a deer rifle. I have a 25-06 and it's fine so long as I use heavier bullet's. I was thinking a 250 around a 100gr bullet. Problem I found was finding case's! Got all sort's of suggestions on how to make case's but saimply wasn't interested in doing that so went 260 and have a lot of 308 case's and can find more whenever I want. Thinking about 129gr Hornadys in it but not sure now. Found I have a partial box of 120gr speer hot cores and gonna give them a go. 129's shot well enough to start and I suspect they would only get better. hornady has been my go to bullet for year's with a close runner up Speer hot cores! Hopefully it won't be hard to find more if they work out. Left 100gr bullet's in my 25-06 because they were simply to distructive so it use's 117gr now. I'd have gone 120gr with it had I been better able to find them! So in my 260, maybe 120's will be easy to find. Component avaliablity when reloading make's a big difference to me.

Last edited:
Yeah or like buy two boxes of Lapua and it’ll last the whole barrel. I don’t really get worrying about brass availability, just buy a barrel worth when you start and away you go.
I looked for Remington headstamp .270 Winchester today. No dice. It ain't always easy. mtmuley

Yeah or like buy two boxes of Lapua and it’ll last the whole barrel. I don’t really get worrying about brass availability, just buy a barrel worth when you start and away you go.
You're not wrong. The fact that it's a barrel burner has given me pause. I've been toying with the idea of a .280AI as well, but I don't think barrel life would be much better. That said, using it mainly for hunting, and occasionally for plinking, say 100 or so rounds/year, I should hopefully get at least 7-10 years of life out of it before it needs a rebarrel.

Back