Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ewe hunting

Are you sure about this, as it relates to ewe vs ram tags? Obviously they pre-determine which units non-residents may apply for, but as I understand it, the "up to 10%" can come from any hunting district available in the region (and can be ewe or ram).

That's my understanding too.

From what I gather a non-resident applying for an ewe tag and drawing does reduce the available tags for the 10% allocation pool.

This means applying for ewe tags hurts others chances at a ram tag if they get drawn after the 10% allocation is met.

I am not positive but saw it posted on another hunting forums by someone who checked with a Neil Whitney at the FWP who works with the drawing. Looking at the numbers of applicants over the years I have thought this was the case.

It's my understanding that NR's draw 10% of rams and ewes each. I don't think ewes count towards the ram allocation. Not 100% sure though.

I disagree, if he wants to app for a ewe in Montana he should. Guilt free. You are screwing no one out of anything.

I agree, if the rules allow it, anyone should be allowed apply for the permit they choose without feeling like they are screwing someone out of a tag. Anytime you apply for any permit you lesson someone else's chance.

I really am pretty sure it is 10% across the board ram and ewe tags combined. We could look at the numbers and find out for sure think I did that one year and came up with the conclusion that ewe tags come out of the 10% pool for region and is not separated by sex.

I just got off the phone with a guy from the FWP and he said that the NR ram and ewe tag quotas are kept separate. It took awhile to get things straightened out but that's what he said. So if anybody wants to draw a ewe tag, that ewe tag should not count against the ram tag quota.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back