Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ewe hunting

JohnCushman

I'm about to turn 42 and I'm getting the sheep hunting bug all of a sudden. I was wondering if I tried to get a ewe tag that maybe I would get to hunt some time in my lifetime before I'm too old to crawl around on a mountain. I'm in pretty bad shape physically right now, so I would hope to get a couple of years to get back into shape before I drew. So, is a ewe tag feesable sometime in the near future? Would it be easier to draw an archery tag for her?

Most ewe tags are easy to draw in CO. Some can be had 2nd choice. Archery tags may be harder to draw than rifle tags, ironically.

I drew a CO ewe tag as second choice in 2012. Nice hunt and some skill developed to identify ewes from yearling rams in a herd. I also spent time attempting to find a ewe with longer horns and that can add challenge to the hunt. Neat mountain hunt and would do again in a heartbeat. In 2013 I harvested an Aoudad ram in TX on free range draw hunt but have not drawn a bighorn ram tag. Free range aoudad in NM might be an option to consider.

Ewe tags cost the same as ram tags in most states with Wyoming being the exception. Montana would be a state to look at for decent odds and $750 for the tag.

Sounds like something I over heard a lady in sun valley driving a Subaru mumble as we walked by after a morning of bow hunting.
"Ewwwwe hunting!"

I hunted ewe once as a 2nd choice in Colo back when they were a lot easier to draw on 2nd choice. Had a good time, ate some great sheep meat, and learned a lot.

If you want to apply ewe 1st choice as a colo resident, best be in good shape cause you will draw pretty soon.

Have you been wise and stocking up preference points already? ;)

I would hunt ewe again in a flash, if I could draw a 2nd choice tag. The same as I will take another cow moose tag any time they will give me another now that my OIL bull moose is done.

Just do it.

Last edited:
There's a few you could draw pretty easily in MT as well.

Please don't apply for the ewe tags as a nonresident. Unless they changed the rules or it was a rumor the ewe tags count towards the total nonresident quota and it screws the guys who are trying to draw a ram tag. Am I correct?

Please don't apply for the ewe tags as a nonresident. Unless they changed the rules or it was a rumor the ewe tags count towards the total nonresident quota and it screws the guys who are trying to draw a ram tag. Am I correct?

I disagree, if he wants to app for a ewe in Montana he should. Guilt free. You are screwing no one out of anything.

Oak, it looks like ewe tags are $2,000 for nonresidents. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Yes, that is correct. Keep mind that CO has set-aside tags for non-residents. Last year all non-resident ewe tags (5) were drawn 2nd or 3rd choice. As alwayshunting pointed out, WY is the best bet for a non-resident ewe tag. I believe they are <$300, and the odds are not that bad.

I disagree, if he wants to app for a ewe in Montana he should. Guilt free. You are screwing no one out of anything.

Pat's right... If me applying for a ewe tag in MT screws someone out of a ram tag who's been applying for 20 some odd years, then I won't do it there. I don't mind sticking to Colorado or Wyoming. I'm not a total prick...most of the time

Pat's right... If me applying for a ewe tag in MT screws someone out of a ram tag who's been applying for 20 some odd years, then I won't do it there. I don't mind sticking to Colorado or Wyoming. I'm not a total prick...most of the time

I agree you should if you want to but its good to at least know what it may do to your family members and friends odds if they are trying for a Ram.
Can anybody verify if that information is true?

I agree you should if you want to but its good to at least know what it may do to your family members and friends odds if they are trying for a Ram.
Can anybody verify if that information is true?

I believe it is true, in theory anyway. Non-residents are awarded up to 10% of licenses by region, I believe. If a non-resident ewe application is drawn 1st, that is applied towards the 10%. I'm not sure how frequently each region reaches the 10% in non-resident tags, though.

Yes, that is correct. Keep mind that CO has set-aside tags for non-residents. Last year all non-resident ewe tags (5) were drawn 2nd or 3rd choice. As alwayshunting pointed out, WY is the best bet for a non-resident ewe tag. I believe they are <$300, and the odds are not that bad.

I noticed that odds were really good a two years ago. However, I think they cut tags last year, which tanked odds. Looks like they're back up this year, so it might be a good year to apply.

That's very noble of you John.
I was simply pointing out that had you wanted to nobody had the right to make you feel guilty when you had done nothing wrong.
People need to learn that their actions do affect other people so be careful what you say and do because it's not always about you.

I hope to see you with some ewwwe pics in the next few years.

Montana actually predetermines the 10% by region which tags are available to NR, so applying for a ewe does not take away a ram tag as many thought and as it sounds in the regulations.

Wyoming odds are much worse then CO or MT. If I were you and did not have to worry about burning points, I would apply for MT. You would have decent odds within a few years, maybe even the first year, of drawing a ewe tag in the breaks and would have the added bonus of seeing some great rams while out hunting.

Montana actually predetermines the 10% by region which tags are available to NR, so applying for a ewe does not take away a ram tag as many thought and as it sounds in the regulations.

Are you sure about this, as it relates to ewe vs ram tags? Obviously they pre-determine which units non-residents may apply for, but as I understand it, the "up to 10%" can come from any hunting district available in the region (and can be ewe or ram).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back