Caribou Gear

every elk is a trophy

I'm proud of every elk I've taken. 3/4 of those had no antlers. I don't so much remember each animal, I remember them by who I was with and the conditions we were in. I've never had a bad day elk hunting.

As some of you know I took my son and son in law on their first elk hunt last fall. We all had either sex tags and the boys took a cow each the next to last day. My son in law's dad, who is a damn fine man, made a similar 'misinformed' remark. I bit my tongue (somewhat) and suggested he join the party and show us how it's done.:)

I'll second what everyone else is saying here. But I'd like to also add that my personal feeling is that a public land cow elk hunt is a very under-rated hunting experience. I think most people believe harvesting a cow is all about shooting one out of a wheat field during the late season. There's nothing wrong with that obviously. But if you put boots on the ground and work to get away from the roads and get the drop on a wild cow on public land and have the opportunity to tag the creature then you've just had a tremendous hunting experience. They're still elk after all and killing one fair chase in wild country is quite a privilege.

I had this discussion with a friend the other day. We were actually talking about possibly going together but he didn't want to hunt if we were just getting cow tags. Said he would stay around camp and hunt small game and fish to try his hand at wilderness survival. Said he just couldn't get excited about a cow elk hunt. I tried to reason with him that I actually like the increased odds and cheaper tags associated with hunting a cow. For me it's more about filling the freezer with quality meat as opposed to coming home empty handed.

In the mean time I started making plans to go with another friend that already had plans to do a cow hunt. Not sure what unit he hunts but they generally tag out every year they go there. Only drawback for me is they rent a cabin as opposed to setting up a camp. But a hot shower every night does sound appealing. Haha

We did it last year and had a blast!! I only wish We would have had more room in the truck to fill more tags. It gives us a chance to learn about elk hunting in a area during hunting season. By the time we draw tags for that area we should know it and the habits of the elk in that unit very well. I can kill two cows for the price of one bull. My one brother refuses to go with us. He would rather buy half a beef instead of elk tag or tags. I work with guys that have no clue and watch too much tv as we'll. I will be just as happy to leave PA to head west to hunt cows as bulls any day.

A public land bull elk hunt is perhaps the most challenging and rewarding hunting experience a person can have from year to year.

A public land cow elk hunt is a close second -- truly challenging and rewarding.

It'll be worth the drive!

I am glad to see how many people are supporting the hunting of cows/does vs bulls/bucks. There is nothing wrong with hunting antlers, if that is what wraps your starter cord. It is really great to hunt the antlerless for a few year while getting points for a trophy and then capitalizing on it. That is real fulfilling. As some have shown in these posts, there are all too many people out there that hunt for the wrong reasons. If there are no horns involved, they think that it is somehow less of a hunt.

I have killed several bull elk and lots of cows. Every one of those cow hunts were as fun-if not more so-than the bulls. The hunt does not change. The only difference in the end is whether or not there is a dust collector to look at for the rest of your life!

Id love a bull obviously but - if a cow walks out in range it's all she wrote . Area I'm hunting this fall is either sex . Nice to have the option. Hate to turn a cow down in hopes of seeing a bull and not see one . That's my luck :) . Oh well cows are great eating too!

I like horns as much as the next guy but I too am heading out for cow elk and doe antelope this fall. I spend all year planning and scheming about the next trip. I'm not skipping one just because horns aren't involved. A friend and I, along with our fathers, are going to WY with 4 cow tags and a few doe tags. Gonna be an adventure. Having been on hunts with antler tags in my pocket, I must say that I'm equally excited about this trip.

Having an antlerless tag removes a whole level of stress from the hunt for me. Antlerless hunting brings back the simplicity that hunting should always have. I still apply for points and chase big bucks every fall, but I don't need that to be just as happy.

A public land bull elk hunt is perhaps the most challenging and rewarding hunting experience a person can have from year to year.

A public land cow elk hunt is a close second -- truly challenging and rewarding.

It'll be worth the drive!

Exactly - ands what makes it so fun :D

I hunted elk for the first time this year. My goal was to have a successful hunt. Period. While I had a tag that was good for either/or, my focus was to be successful. In fact, I wasn't so concerned about even killing an elk. Sure, that is what I was there for, but for me to become a better elk hunter, I had to learn a lot. My thought was that if I could learn about elk, study their patterns and habits, then I could maybe one day put all that information together. I really didn't care if I shot a cow or a bull, as long as I could learn about them and hopefully get a shot, it didn't matter to me.

I have always been a firm believer that you can't eat the horns, so what does it really matter. But, I also think it would be cool to someday have a huge bull elk on the wall, knowing that my time in the woods had paid off. If it never gets to that point, I am ok with it. But, I will not pay someone to take me in to some remote place and tell me which animal to shoot.

My point is this: Do whatever makes you happy. If it means getting out in the woods and chasing cows-go for it. If it means you have to have a monster 6x6 or bigger and won't give up until you get it--go for it. I think it is different for everyone, but ultimately I hunt to get away from things and get back to the basics for a short time. That is success to me.

I agree. A person that does not want spend time in the fall in elk country is a sad human being.
Just being there is enough for me.But sure like to take home some elk steak!

Just living the dream !

For those of us that have chosen a hunting lifestyle (like most of this forum) we see hunting with a much different perspective than others.

There's game management, enjoying time in the woods and camaraderie with our hunting partners. A successful hunt brings more than a downed animal. Gutting, boning, packing - I enjoy all of these experiences and really need to do them on a consistent basis.

I understand the view-point of the horn-hunter, but it isn't for me. I would rather dive-in and be committed to the wild lands than sit on the side-line participating occasionally.

For the first 2 weeks of archery antelope season in Colorado it is bucks only. I go out and do my best, but I can't wait until the either sex portion starts. Nothing like a nice fat doe in the freezer, but I wouldn't pass up a buck if the shot presents itself. But, all in all, I've shot way more does/cows than I have bucks and I still have yet to shoot a bull elk.

My brother and I went in January for cow elk (first elk for both of us) and it was one of the most memorable hunts ever!

Hunting is about the experience. If your buddy needs big antlers to make a hunt worth the while then he is missing out on the best part.

Talking with a hunting buddy and told him I was going west to hunt cow elk and he said I was crazy to drive over 1300 miles to hunt a cow. He cannot understand that a animal does not have to have a big set of antlers to be a trophy to me.
what do you think of hunting antlerless animals ?

I think you need new buddies.

Oh of hunting anterless. Bears don't have horns. Niether do wolves or cats or hogs!?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with participating in conservation IMO. Cow elk are delicious and if I can get a tag, I'm all for filling it.

I love horns as much as the next guy, but antlerless is a great way to get more time hunting honing your skills, learning areas you hunt, learning about the animals, and a good way to get more kids out hunting. If your area needs cow tags filled to keep the population at a healthy level then by all means go do it.

A real buddy is not going to deride your choice of game on an out of state hunt. I sure wouldn't.

Now I grew up hunting with a bucks only season (2 per year) so that surely played a role in my personal focus to hunt antlered game vs antlerless.

If the elk hunt was "just for the meat" I could raise a steer for that, and take the family to ride and hike in elk country when it was warm and the days are long. But there is something about hunting bulls or bucks that takes it to the next level for me. I wouldn't criticize anyone for hunting cows, and I will admit, I've had some CHEWY bulls.

If I was in a situation where a cow elk was my winter meat, I would probably dial down my expectations in the Fair chase and hunting experience department. The trophy is in the kill location then.

Back