PEAX Equipment

Euro Mount Repair: Best Glue to use?

Zellhouse

In the process of finishing up my Grandson's 2 Euro Mounts, (an antelope & a mule deer). Need to glue a tooth back in place on the antelope, & glue back into place 2 pieces that came off the bridge of the nose on the mule deer. Thought it would be best to make these repairs prior to whitening the skulls.

What would be the best glue to use for these repairs?

Thanks...

Nick87 is spot on. You can still boil and whiten the loose pieces but white Elmers glue after head has dried out.

I have used the Gorilla Glue brand of super glue. You can’t see the repair at all since the glue is so clear. Strong too

loctite super glue has always worked great for me.

i've had gorilla glue go yellow on me. and maybe it was the specific type gorilla glue i used but it also expanded and oozed everywhere and ultimately turned yellow.

i may give that head a brief soak in a hot bath of peroxide next time i have one going and re glue those spots.

Excellent... thanks everyone for the heads up. Looks like we'll be doing the repairs during spring break will let you know how it turns out.

I secure the teethe with super glue.

When I do my euro mounts I do them in this order:

1- clean skull best I can
2- "Boil" skull for 12 hours with a 1/2 cup or so of borax soap.
3- Pressure wash skull.
4- Air dry skull in the sun.
5- Super Glue all the teethe.
6- Tape off at the burls and Paint with spray-paint.

Whole process takes about 3 days' time and a total effort hour of about 2 hours per head at most.

I used to bury them and put half a 55-gallon drum over them, but I decided I am not patient enough for that as it takes about 6 months for the bugs to completely clean them.

IMG_9396.jpegIMG_9395.jpeg

E6000. Wife uses it for crafts. Super glue kept breaking over time. E6000 is more of a gel and is flexible, doesnt dry out crack n fail like super glue. Never going back to super glue.

3- Pressure wash skull.

Whole process takes about 3 days' time and a total effort hour of about 2 hours per head at most.

I used to bury them and put half a 55-gallon drum over them, but I decided I am not patient enough for that as it takes about 6 months for the bugs to completely clean them.

View attachment 317394View attachment 317396
Nice buck... nice euro.

3- Pressure wash skull.

View attachment 317394View attachment 317396
Spray paint?? 🤮

nice buck

loctite super glue has always worked great for me.

i've had gorilla glue go yellow on me. and maybe it was the specific type gorilla glue i used but it also expanded and oozed everywhere and ultimately turned yellow.

i may give that head a brief soak in a hot bath of peroxide next time i have one going and re glue those spots.
Right. Gorilla brand does yellow.

Don't boil the skull for hours or the bone will start to break down, especially teeth. Any teeth that come out and fall to bottom of pot will be gone to pieces.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back