PEAX Equipment

Ethics Question of the Day: Trail Cams whle hunting

I know this is an old thread but ethics are not subjective/up to each person to decide for themselves. If ethics were up to each person to decide, then the whole purpose of ethics (to discern between right and wrong) would be defeated. For example, if ethics really were up to each person to decide then someone could kill as many deer as they want, out of season, at night, with a high power night vision scope and it would still be ethical as long as the ethics were up to them and they believed it to be ethical. If ethics were subjective there would be no question of whether or not trail cams are ethical in the first place.

I know this is an old thread but ethics are not subjective/up to each person to decide for themselves. If ethics were up to each person to decide, then the whole purpose of ethics (to discern between right and wrong) would be defeated. For example, if ethics really were up to each person to decide then someone could kill as many deer as they want, out of season, at night, with a high power night vision scope and it would still be ethical as long as the ethics were up to them and they believed it to be ethical. If ethics were subjective there would be no question of whether or not trail cams are ethical in the first place.
Depends what you are talking about. Whether or not a shot is ethical for someone could be 100% based on the shooter. 40 yards with a bow may be ethical for one guy but not the next who never practices and hasn’t shot past 30 yards.

Now, where or not trail cameras are ethical has no variance depending on the person. So I’d agree with you on that point.

Depends what you are talking about. Whether or not a shot is ethical for someone could be 100% based on the shooter. 40 yards with a bow may be ethical for one guy but not the next who never practices and hasn’t shot past 30 yards.

Now, where or not trail cameras are ethical has no variance depending on the person. So I’d agree with you on that point.
Whether a shot is ethical or not does depend on the hunter's capabilities, however, the ethic itself (a hunter should only take shots at distances they are proficient at) is still set in stone and is not up to the hunter to decide.

There's a reason more and more states are making the use of game cameras during hunting season illegal.
I get 100K pics a year and not a SINGLE cam has ever benefitted me in taking any animal. Now what I dont think should be legal is cellular during season. That is a direct benefit.

No trail cams for me. That's just too much technology. Sometimes I think my 3x9x40 scope is over the top. I don't mess with OnX either. But a good satellite map of the BMA property is greatly appreciated on occasion.

There should be an element of chance to make the hunt a hunt. Baiting or spying on the animals remotely with drones, planes, or trail cams removes too much of the uncertainty from hunting that makes the rewards worth something. I'm not sharing my accomplishments with a piece of electronics. I'd prefer to accomplish nothing before stooping to that level.

This is Co DOW.

Live-Action Game Cameras
1. No person shall use a live-action camera to locate, surveil, or aid or assist in any attempt
to locate or surveil any game wildlife for the purpose of taking or attempting to take said
wildlife during the same day or following day.
2. “Live-Action Game Camera” means any device capable of recording and transmitting
photographic or video data wirelessly to a remote device, such as a computer or smart
phone. “Live-action game camera” does not include game cameras that merely record
photographic or video data and store such data for later use, as long as the device
cannot transmit data wirelessly

Back