Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ethics Question of the Day: Trail Cams whle hunting

Alpine

So I was at the dentist yesterday and we were talking hunting (he was doing all the talking of course, since he had his hands in my mouth :) ) and he was telling me about their recent archery elk hunt. He mentioned in passing that they had a few trail cams set up in various locations in and around their hunting area, and that as their hunt went on they would access the cameras and see if and when animals had passed by; then they would set their next day's plans, or even that evening's plans, based on that information.

My first thought was 'huh - I didn't know people did that' and then my second thought was that I am not sure I agree with it from a ethical perspective. Seems to cut a little too close to the line for me.

I have often thought it would be cool to set a trail cam in my hunt area during say the summer, or maybe preceding the hunt during scouting times, but not actually during the hunt.

What is your perspective on this, and how common a practice is this?

I haven't checked yet to see if it is even legal (in Colorado).

I think more people are using trail cams now for both preseason scouting and as an actual tool while hunting. I don't have a problem with it, as long as allowed by law in the state. I believe that would be illegal in MT for sure. Recent potential trail cam regulation just got shot down in Idaho. Seems a lot more ethical than putting out salt licks, mineral baits or piles of hay -which for some reason is legal in UT.

I run cameras all summer, but I don't think they should be used during hunting seasons, we already have enough things working in our favor with all the technology anymore. I am especially against the cameras that send images to your phone.

I don't think it matters too much. What's the difference in putting cameras out all summer versus when you hunt? If there are no animals on one camera and more on another over the summer you are going to start hunting the area of the camera that has that repeating big bull or buck or even the most animals versus the camera that had minimal or no animals on it. Personal preference, I use cameras spring to start of the season. I will check on them once or twice before season, and pull them the week prior to my hunt. I use cameras to see what's around and it's enjoyable to watch the animal grow too, and get pictures of what you normally don't see too.

The reason I pull them before season is to see what's on them obviously. I think it's a waste of time to constantly go back and forth each day checking different cameras while hunting. Puts your scent and trail where those cameras were, and now animals will have your scent there on a regular basis. Where I hunt there is water in every draw and feed. I can't sit on a water hole, doesn't do any good. I'm out glassing and constantly searching and stalking. I don't want to worry about what's on the camera's each day or every other day personally too. If you notice during hunting season, how many animals do you see only once and not again?

It will be interesting to see what other people say. I know hunting whitetail with cameras in the Mid-West is different than using cameras on Mule Deer and Elk during different seasons. Whether or not people use them in the West and Rocky Mountains where I hunt during season doesn't effect me or my hunting style. That could be why I don't have a preference. In fact, I'd probably would like more people doing that, keeps them in a limited area with their scent there, ha!

I run cameras all summer, but I don't think they should be used during hunting seasons, we already have enough things working in our favor with all the technology anymore. I am especially against the cameras that send images to your phone.

Totally agree with your thoughts on cams that transmit images to a device/phone....I believe that is blatantly over the line

I don't think it matters too much. What's the difference in putting cameras out all summer versus when you hunt?
I guess if you live in a state like Utah where archery seasons open in August, there isn't much difference. Most states' seasons don't open until September though. From my experience, bulls will leave their summer grounds to start looking for cows in late August/early September. Having a bunch of bulls on camera during the summer doesn't affect where I plan on hunting once the season starts. I run cameras just because I like getting pictures of animals and it helps me get in shape for the season. They have never helped me kill anything, and that is not the reason why I put them out. I know not everyone puts them out for the same reasons as me though, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
It is a common practice in New England and the Midwest. We hunt 2.5hrs from home in the early season before our home state opens...we typically hunt the morning, check cams mid day, and base our afternoon/next morning stands on the sign and what we got for pictures. I guess I never really thought that anyone would have mixed feelings on it. I learn more and more about issues and people's perspectives in the West every time I log in.

I dont see a issue with that. I run trail cameras during the season and i dont think it really gave me all that much advantage. All i have done is get pictures pf other peoples bulls so far!!

I run them when legal, 90% of the time it's because I juts love to see the animals. 10% to see if the area is worth hunting because 3-4 hr drive one way is a decent jaunt just to scout, cameras allow you to see a meadow, crossing etc for a long time and get a decent idea if it is worth while.

My ethics are different than yours, and his, hers, etc.

I've used game cameras for many years and have learned many things, using a game camera to pattern a big old muley buck of a bull elk is damn near impossible and I've never used the cameras that instantly upload to your phone because we don't have much cell service but I am failing to see how that is more unethical unless you are utilizing it to notify you of something coming into your stand, you can only be so many places at once. I get an elk and deer almost every year and not once have I thought that the cameras aided or increased my chances of taking that animal. It has more turned me into a spectator and just interested in what kind of new surprises or lack thereof they might provide. I catch a lot of animals on my cams and rarely do I catch the same animal more than once or twice unless it happens to be female, they are a lot easier to pattern ironically.

I've used game cameras for many years and have learned many things, using a game camera to pattern a big old muley buck of a bull elk is damn near impossible and I've never used the cameras that instantly upload to your phone because we don't have much cell service but I am failing to see how that is more unethical unless you are utilizing it to notify you of something coming into your stand, you can only be so many places at once. I get an elk and deer almost every year and not once have I thought that the cameras aided or increased my chances of taking that animal. It has more turned me into a spectator and just interested in what kind of new surprises or lack thereof they might provide. I catch a lot of animals on my cams and rarely do I catch the same animal more than once or twice unless it happens to be female, they are a lot easier to pattern ironically.

I have heard the ones that upload pictures to your phone are really being taken advantage of by lion hunters. When they can get their dogs on the scent that quick they are almost guaranteed to catch that lion. Listen to Jay Scott's podcast #310 with Andy Knowlton, he makes some really good points about it at the end of the podcast.

As a non resident western hunter, I believe they should ban all use of trail cams before, during, and after the season, lol Honestly though, I have no problem with them when used legally. We use them in a lot here in Texas to monitor feeders and other hunting areas for activity. I enjoy looking at the pictures and seeing something exciting on camera can really get you even more motivated to get in the woods.

The argument against using any new "technology" in hunting doesn't really hold water because at one time or another everything we hunt with was new tech. With that said, ethics are different for every person. The way I see it, information that helps hunters (trail cams, boots-on-ground scouting, e-scouting, ect) is a great thing if that info has a cost associated with it. What I mean is that if you put time and/or hardwork into obtaining info that improves your odds, that is a positive thing. So, when it comes to trail cameras, taking the time and effort to run them along with the idea that using them haphazardly can decrease your odds of success, falls within my standards of being ethical. However, to set a camera up and then sit back for months on end while pictures are delivered to your phone or e-mail doesn't really have a cost attached so that would land outside my definition of ethical. I hope that all made sense. Good question.

I don't have a problem with it. I run cameras but I don't really check them during a hunt like that. Like others have said, the sending pictures to your phone in real time(and the hunter acting on it) crosses a line for me.

Getting a picture of an elk and using that info to kill said elk is pretty overrated. I'm sure there could be cases where a trail cam might assist a hunter but it's not going to happen often. Most big bull pics I get are one time events. The only thing the trail cam tells me is where an elk used to be. Cams that transmit real time photos are a whole different ballgame and in my opinion should not be legal during any hunting season.

It is helpful to know if a bunch or people are hunting the same area I plan to hunt. If I am getting a lot of pictures of hunters I pull out and look for more secluded spots regardless of what elk pictures I might get.

I'd like to have a camera mounted on a rifle that has the ability to detect a trophy class animal and fire automatically. Then I can just hire some locals to collect it and bring it back to me. Now THAT'S hunting.

Seriously though, I like the cameras for viewing game and getting excited. I don't think they provide much advantage. But I don't use them on public land fwiw.

To be fair to my dentist, and to the point that many have made here, he did admit that using the cameras during the hunt didn’t help them – they made their plans based on the info but then never saw any animals there. Like Joe Hulburt said above – it only showed them ‘where an elk used to be’.

I am still a little conflicted and therefore won’t do this myself, but I will say that some good points have been raised. I definitely would not be on board with the live-feed-to-my-phone during a hunt. I am okay with trail cams in general, especially during other parts of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back