Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

EOY '19 - What Worked, What Didn't?

Worked
-Liner socks matched with merino wool socks: eliminated any hot spots and helped wick moisture

-Uninsulated boots: My feet always got cold. I thought for many years I needed more isulated boats. I heard or saw a video, not sure where, that they had the same thought process. They then used uninsulated boots and their feet did not sweat as much, thus not making them cold eventually. If you walk and have this happening, try uninsulated boots! I wouldn't recommend this for deer stand hunters, but this was a game changer.

Didn't Work

-Need to find a good mid weight base layer (see thread in other gear forum). I would sweat to much with any extra layers and need to find a light weight mid weight layer

-Need to be better at find a balance between quality hunts vs quantity. Some times go out to close to home with little results wishing I would have gone less but in more prime areas further away.

What worked:
Leukotape- my feet have never felt better, put more miles than any other season.
Accubonds- Continually perform well.
Trekking poles- First year using these, will have them from here on out.
Swarovski- Good glass cannot be replaced.
Freezer meals- Adds a variety to camp meals instead of hot dogs every night.

What didn't work:
SG Avail, great day pack, the bag is just a bit smaller than I would prefer, used the bag during archery season and went back to the 3300.
Weather- seemed much of the fall weather is what kept alot of folks out of the hills.

Worked:
V-bar tire chains. Seemed like I spent the whole season chained up.
Danner pronghorns. I have spoken poorly lately of them as they won't stay dry. Tried 4 different brands pf boots last year,
ended up back using the pronghorns and had no aching feet problems.
Leupold 1000 yd range finder. It actually ranged out to 800 when zi used it. Not that I needed it this year
Peak Refuel: large portions, taste good. Good suggestion Gomer

Didn't work:
Knees. didnt get enough time on the stairs w/ a pack this year. Paid for it right away during scouting season. tweaked
a knee and it just got worse as the season went on.
Work: set aside plenty of time away but problems kept popping up shortening my hunting schedule.
Weather: everytime I got out, heavyish snow showed up and kep[t me out of my best hunting area.
New hunting partner: he ran out of initiative (prob hangs out w/ G.Martin). Then when my phone was still on silent and didn't answer
a text he called emergency rescue on me. Sheriff was happy to find out they didn't have to come looking in a snow storm.
Onx in my Garmin 64s. Stopped showing land ownership. Not sure why. Had no idea whos property I was on.

For next season: A winch. Had one day to get back to where I wanted and hung the truck up when my v-bar chains chewed thru the crust
on a snow drift and had to call for help. Wasted the whole day
Boots: might actually have to look at Kenetrecks.
Pack: My heavy stock pack has grown weildy and uncomfortable. SC seems to be the maker of choice
Range finder:that will accurately range 1000 yards

One of the twisted perversions of having a goat fetish is an aversion to your buddies having dry feet.

I wonder what Freud would say it means? Probably a Rainier deficiency.

Trailhead conversation with Gerald-

Me: "Any reason to throw in the waders?"

Gerald: "I don't remember any creek crossings."

8 creek crossings later...

What didn't:
My Pack - I was given a Tenzing Tz4000 to try this season and it's just too long for my torso (5'7", 190lbs), every hunt I've done with it this year has left me in agony for a couple days following. I never had this issue with my previous pack (Cabelas Fast Tracker 40L) carrying the same weight. I'd like to try a Mystery Ranch next season

Sleeping Pad: I've got an accordion style thermarest Z-lite and it's just not comfortable. Ran it for a couple seasons and I'm done with it. Going to pick up an inflatable pad for next season

Boots: This one is a toss up between Did/Didn't. My Danner Vitals (Uninsulated) are really comfortable and held up great, but my feet sweat in them way too much for early season hunts. I'll be looking into a more breathable pair this season to replace my merrell ventilators that crapped out on me this season after 3 years of use, I would like a taller boot than the merrells if possible.

What Did:
New Tent: Picked up a discontinued Alps Ibex 2P on backcountry.com last winter and it's been great all season, from scouting trips in August through a coues hunt this past week, I've loved this tent

New Sleeping Bag: Kelty Cosmic 40 down bag (got at the same time as above tent) it's great for the early/mid season hunts here in AZ, going to look into getting a 20* or 0* bag for later season hunts (My current 0* is ready to retire after years of use)

Wrangler Outdoor Pants: I freaking love these things, they're wicked light, and cheap (~$22 @ Wally World). I'll keep using these for awhile. My gf even tried some and has fallen in love with them

First Lite Merino: I tried a couple of their shirts and the unpronouncable jacket this season, and I really liked how they performed this season.

What's up with you guys breaking havalon blades? It's a sharp knife and you need to cut zero bones to back out the quarters on a bull. Just let the knife to the work and quit trying to us it like a flathead screwdriver!

I got rid of my Havalons because the blades seemed to break on everything, Im not sure if it was a bad batch or me cutting what I was supposed too. I also, don't care to have to babysit blades in the field when changing them out. Just one less thing to have to worry about went back to my outdoor edge and buck.

I've used my havalon exclusively for 5 years, that's 7 elk, 3 deer, and 4 antelope. Zero broken blades. In terms of babysit I just stick them in a tree, they're be safely stuck there and shouldn't affect the tree.

What worked:

My dog, selective breeding really works
Hammer bullets
Zamberlan Guide 960 boots, hammered as hell and still in good shape
Mystery Ranch Beartooth
Knives of Alaska warranty
Remington SS Mountain Rifle

What didn't work:

Knives of Alaska blade (see above)
Water allocation strategy
My daughter deciding she was too busy to hunt :(

What worked:

My dog, selective breeding really works
Hammer bullets
Zamberlan Guide 960 boots, hammered as hell and still in good shape
Mystery Ranch Beartooth
Knives of Alaska warranty
Remington SS Mountain Rifle

What didn't work:

Knives of Alaska blade (see above)
Water allocation strategy
My daughter deciding she was too busy to hunt :(

Jeez the last one is brutal J....... I can only hope that one day this isnt the case. In my household

Back