Enviros vs. ranchers: Fat cats win

Michaelr

The imagery of the Old West is of wide-open spaces, where the deer and the antelope play -- and ranchers can turn out their cattle for grazing.

Those pastoral scenes, however, were radically changed, much to the detriment of ranchers, with the Bureau of Land Management's decision to allow an environmental group to retire grazing permits purchased for the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

At issue is a 4,500-acre parcel in the controversial monument, which the Grand Canyon Trust blocked from grazing by paying $600,000 for BLM permits.

The environmental group has, so far, spent more than $1.5 million purchasing such permits, often paying above-market rates from ranchers who are all but giving up the ghost on making a living by raising livestock, another sign of the demise of the family farmer in this country.

Money talks, it appears, and the environmental groups seem to have very deep pockets these days, not only in forking over the dough for these grazing permits, but perpetuating legal entanglements to protect the desert tortoise, Utah prairie dog and other members of the ecosystem that sometimes seem to have more rights than the humans with whom they share the land.

The decision overrules protests filed by the Canyon Country Ranchers Association, Utah Cattleman's Association and Garfield and Kane county commissions.

Supporters of the decision argue that only 5 percent of the grazing now allowed will be affected.

That, however, is not the point.

The point is that by undermining the efforts of the hearty souls who still struggle to keep the family farmer-rancher traditions alive, the environmental groups are fattening the wallets of the already fat large commercial livestock operations.

They are also trampling on the rights of these ranchers who should be allowed as much access to these lands as those who would use them for recreational or other interests.

The environmentalists cry that this will improve the quality of soil and plant life in the area.

However, well-implemented grazing practices also ensure the further health and welfare of our open spaces.

We agree that our ecosystems need strict caretakers, but the land should be open for use by the public.

Originally published Thursday, January 16, 2003

Can't you supply links to your articles so we can check the source? Whatsamatter, don't want us to see where you got this?
biggrin.gif

sierratimes.com

I'll bet ithaca calls them wackos or something similar.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-17-2003 16:57: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

I find good in this...The grass gets tall and more fires create more work for me in the summer putting them out. See there are winners in this!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nut, Exactly, but when somebody outbids the ranchers they start whining.
biggrin.gif
They're used to being subsidized by the gummint and can't survive in a free market system.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-17-2003 22:13: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> They are also trampling on the rights of these ranchers who should be allowed as much access to these lands as those who would use them for recreational or other interests. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
They go have the same access, just their cows don't. Highest bidder wins the allotments, so if they bid more...

Why can't ranchers form organizations that raise money to purchase allotments for grazing?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-17-2003 23:35: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

That article is great for laughs!! "...the hearty souls who still struggle to keep the family farmer-rancher traditions alive..." Oh what a tear jerker!
biggrin.gif
The poor welfare rancher is finally forced to stand on his own two feet when somebody out bids him!
biggrin.gif
I used to be in the auction business and we always made sure the highest bidder got the goods! Seemed like the only fair way to have an auction.
biggrin.gif

"Money talks, it appears,.." Yup! Welcome to the real world!
biggrin.gif

"but perpetuating legal entanglements to protect the desert tortoise, Utah prairie dog and other members of the ecosystem...." Heaven forbid we should try to protect any wildlife from going extinct!!
rolleyes.gif

"We agree that our ecosystems need strict caretakers, but the land should be open for use by the public." I agree. The problem is that after the cows get done eating everything down to the dirt and shitting all over and ruining the riparian zones there's not much left for the public to use!
biggrin.gif
And when did cows start becoming a member of the public!?
biggrin.gif

It's articles like that one that I love. Basically, what the author is saying is that only ranchers should be able to use public land and they should be able to ruin it for everyone else by overgrazing it. The hell with everybody else, and wildlife too!
biggrin.gif

Ranchers sit around reading crap like that, bobbing their heads up and down like plastic turtles and saying, "Darn tootin', pardner, it's un-American as hell!"

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-18-2003 00:10: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

That's right let just sit back and watch some of these anti-everythings break the backs of all the samll towns.
They already took out alot of the logging job's,some of the same org. are after your firearms & hunting ,why not get these
same fool's to go along with takeing out the rancher,flooding our area's with wolve's we dont need ,and closing down more access to the genreal public.
All in the name of conservation of coures.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I used to be in the auction business and we always made sure the highest bidder got the goods! Seemed like the only fair way to have an auction <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a quick question..
At how many auctions do you see people bid just to make sure somebody else doesn't get the item that is being bid for??

Often. This topic is about a group seeing more value in a piece of land than someone else does, so they bid more. True, they want the land for a different purpose, but there's nothing wrong with that!

But many times I've seen businessmen buy something just so no one else would get it and compete with them.

So we are to believe that once Jon Marvel out bids all the ranchers ,getting cows off public lands he is then willing to keep up the payments so the state has income from the land?
As if that is the only thing that should be thought of.
It isnt just money from allotments that these ranchers bring into the area.
Ya think ol marvel cares about any of that?
Or are we not to think about any back lash from the greenies agendas?
Talk about putting people on the walfare roll
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ranching is not the big money ticket for the state that it once was, plain and simple. Small towns are great, but hardly any small town I've been to benefits from any industry. Most live their and drive to work.

This debate is a prime example of the changing values of Americans towards public land. Who do you think is gonna raise more money, someone going door to door soliciting funds to buy grazing allotments to in the name of conservation or in the name of ranching? The publics ideals have changed and until the managers (fed. agencies included) take this to heart it's only gonna get harder. Scenic value and recreational opportunities are worth alot more to the general public than cows, plain and simple.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> So we are to believe that once Jon Marvel out bids all the ranchers ,getting cows off public lands he is then willing to keep up the payments so the state has income from the land?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think he'll have anymore problem of paying the 'rent' than a rancher heaped in debt.

There is one area of this whole argument where ithaca would agree with me.

If a rancher is getting "wellfare" as ithaca puts it they should not be allowed to shut off access to prime hunting areas.

There has been alot of that happening around here in the tex creek area, farmers/reanchers have posted land that you have to go through to access public land. making it difficult if not impossible to gain access.
the battle is still raging over weather or not this is even leagal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back