Elk Hunting rules

Maybe they could assign rangers on snowmachines/ATVs to ensure the herds remain close to the road, ensuring a quality hunt

So I believe in herd management, I also believe hunting in this sort of venue is or will give US hunters a blackeye. I usually dont voice my opnions on these matters simply because I know others will do so and adding the same words again and again usually dosent help.

Couple items I think would work in this situation is to get rid of the guns! Open the park for archery hunting only, (carry a hand cannon/spray for bears) and limit the number of tags given. Make it and OTC tag for residents (cow only), draw tag for Bulls (residents), draw tag for cow (non-resident). Limit the numbers is the big issue I think. Maybe make it 400 cow resident, 100 cow non resident, and 20 bull tags.

Then again, I'm not a numbers guy and my value could be way off, I know killing more cows is a good way to reduce and manage a herd, but you still need to get some bulls also.

Either way, I'm sure there is a way better option, and the current one may be effective, it's just not a right way to accomplish this.

I hunted elk on the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge in 1992 and the ammo limit was five per day. It's a USFWS requirement, like steel shot for upland game on waterfowl production areas.

Definitely agree with this hunt, and simply its description in the press, giving hunting and hunters a blackeye. Imagine how these statements would be interpreted by a non-hunter teetering on the edge of becoming an anti-hunter....

"The park also will limit hunters to no more than seven cartridges a day and prohibit them from taking more than one shot at a herd of running elk."

"Limiting hunters to a single shot at a herd of running elk will reduce the potential for “wounding loss,” the park said in announcing the program.
“It’s a way to make a hunter slow down, focus on a single animal,” park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said.
Park senior biologist Steve Cain agreed.
“It is to encourage appropriate hunter behavior,” he said."

Encourage? Really?

"While shooting at herds instead of an individual animal is not common, he said, rangers have witnessed a hunter fire 20 rounds at running elk from a long distance.
“It will be enforced with discretion,” Cain said of the rule."

Unfortunately, we have all probably seen or heard of similar behavior. But I would hope for more than encouragement and discretion....like enforcement and accountability

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back