Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Camp Freezer

Beartooth83

Guys - going to the breaks in about a week, and I'm bringing a small chest freezer and my Honda generator with. Here's my plan, let me know what you all think.

I'm going to freeze a bunch of 1 gallon jugs of water before I leave. Probably 10 or so. I'm going to put them in the freezer I plan to bring with. Then, I'll use my generator periodically to keep the water jugs frozen. I'll use the jugs to keep my food cool in my coolers, and swap out the jugs and re-freeze as necessary. And if I kill an elk, the jugs will be replaced by meat (after it cools down of course).

I guess my main concern is how often I'll have to run the generator to keep the stuff frozen. Never tried this before. Any input would be helpfull! Thanks.

I have been doing the exact same thing for a few years now and it works great! I usually run the generator immediately after I get back to camp in the evening until I am ready to go to bed. It really depends on how good the freezer is and if it freezes up fairly quickly or if it takes a long time to get cold? Bring an extra long extension cord and you could run it all night away from your camp. I only bring about 6 jugs of water and keep 4 bags of ice in one of our smaller coolers as well. Good Luck!

It would be smarter to run the generator during the day when your out hunting because if someone else is camped near you they may not put up with a generator running all night. BANG

once the jugs are cold you should be able to get by on probly a couple few hour runs a day.I take a chest freezer but usually just have gear in it till i need it for a meat cooler.mine is a 7 cu ft unit.

I've used this simple method for years hunting Antelope in eastern Wyoming where it gets very warm in early October. Makes a great way to bring back boned out meat as well!

Back