Elk Camp 2013

jryoung

I bought this 1965 Airstream Safari back in the spring and have been tinkering here and there....mostly developing a plan and researching what I needs to do in order to completely refurbish it.

Well this weekend it took a turn for the serious and I was able to bust the cap off so I can inspect, repair (if necessary) and treat the frame while installing a new axle grey and black water tanks.

It's going to be a long process but I hope to have it all done and polished about a year from now so I can take it out on next years hunts...in addition to a few camping trips in the summer.

Anyone around here ever done a refurb like this?

541855_3614180707891_619765127_n.jpg

I lived in a refurbished 19' Airstream (bomber fuselage) for awhile during college. Those things are timeless IMO.

You are way more handy and motivated than I am!<<<<<<THIS

I'm only marginally handy, but I like to break stuff....maybe that's why I've been enjoying it thus far.

Motivation comes in strange forms, like my wife saying "Is my airstream done yet" :)

My brother told me the garage door on the truck box that we mounted onto a scraped 5th wheel frame in 1997 is broke and will need fixing for it's and my last hunting trip this year. I hope that's all it needs cause my ambition at 59 is no where near yours. Good luck with the project.

The point you are at in that picture is about the point I would realize I just got a new flatbed trailer.:rolleyes:

Have fun can't wait to see the after pics.

I probably won't have too many interesting pictures for a while, but I'm going to document it all real well for when I try and sell it. I'm not looking forward to polishing it, but will surely like the end results. I think the estimate is 6-8 hours per foot so it will be about 120-160 hours to polish, but that's when they look really sweet.

I probably won't have too many interesting pictures for a while, but I'm going to document it all real well for when I try and sell it. I'm not looking forward to polishing it, but will surely like the end results. I think the estimate is 6-8 hours per foot so it will be about 120-160 hours to polish, but that's when they look really sweet.
get a da buffer. way faster, easier, and no swirl marks. and then u can use it to wax ur car/truck as well. just make sure u get wax and polish that is compatible for a power buffer

If I built something like that it would look like the ending to Zorba the Greek.

"....a splendiferous crash.":D

No one is under the trailer at that point;)

The point you are at in that picture is about the point I would realize I just got a new flatbed trailer.:rolleyes:

Have fun can't wait to see the after pics.

Here as well, jeepers that is a goal.

that is a HUGE job. Good for you. It will be worth it. My bet is you won't want to sell it.

I lived in a refurbished 19' Airstream (bomber fuselage) for awhile during college. Those things are timeless IMO.

Based solely on the fact that you lived in one . . . that was old enough to have been refurbished . . . .when you were in college, validates the timelssness of the Airstreams. :D

Were I 30 years younger, I would be out there! I just don't have enough lifetime left. Anybody tell you that you are crazy and that you will not stop with this one?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back