Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk Behavior?

renomike

Hello everyone. I figured I can tap into everyone else's vast experience. I am new to elk hunting and drew an archery cow tag for northeastern Nevada this year. The hunt starts at the beginning of August. I have never gone hunting this early in the year and know that it will be very hot out. I am wondering if anyone can give me an overview and insight on elk behavior during the summer months. Highland vs lowland. grouped vs individuals. Good places to look for to hunt. Lastly are they covering large amounts of ground during that time or staying in a general area, meaning if I go scouting a month before can i expect them to still be around. Thank you and any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Can't speak for Nevada specifically, but up here where I guide, early season elk hang out near water. Find a water source and sit on it in the evenings...DOWNWIND.

August 1 is awful hot for elk hunting in NV. Sit water and have preparations ready to have your animal cooled and processed quickly. If you're inexperienced, possibly have a guy or 2 with you that can help break the animal down pretty quick if you get one.

Good luck and let us know how you did. Several of us here will be in the area for the archery bull hunt right after you. I know I'm concerned with the heat and will be taking a couple big marine coolers with me to keep my bounty cool after I put the smack down. :)

Likewise, I've never hunted elk in Nevada but since you asked ... Elk are big and generate a lot of heat when they ruminate. IME they don't move a lot this time of year if they have a good microsite and aren't pushed by a predator. I would look in high-altitude, north-facing pockets of habitat with water and that still have lush vegetation. I would be glassing hard early and late, when it feels a little cool, then set up an ambush near water. Also I think a calf call would be handy, as I imagine it would be a bit early for bugling. Have a plan for getting the heat out of the carcass immediately and process the meat promptly.

Thanks guys this will help me select some places to start the scouting process. I have been hunting mulies for a while and am going with some the guys who are also hunters so we should be able to process the animal and get it into coolers quickly but it is definitely a concern being that it will likely be in the 90s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back