Elk and Mule Deer Archery in NV 103

motorthrils

I got lucky and drew an Early Antlerless Elk (101-103), and Early Antlered Deer (101-109) in Northeastern Nevada for archery, and have done some decent scouting in 103. I have so many questions, but my biggest one is whether I should mentally separate these into two different hunts? Meaning go for the buck Muley, bring the meat to the processor, so that I can get back in the bush to chase down the cow elk?

I am completely open to suggestions and am happy to read any, and all, advise from the experts, or even those who have hunted these areas before. I am in the Navy, and have had limited experience in these areas (as well as a limited window to hunt the areas), but recently on a scouting trip found a buck and doe walking through my campsite while snoozing in the hammock during mid-day... There is plenty of life in the area, just have not seen the elk... yet...

I have been practicing nearly daily, and double checking all of the gear for this trip (I am going solo, and will thusly wind up going overgeared for contingencies of course). Needless to say, I am completely STOKED on this hunt!

Thank you all in advance for your sage advice. :D

Very Respectfully,
Shawn

I'd hunt the buck tag like it was my only tag. If notched then worry about the cow elk. Cow elk tags, overall, are much easier to get than buck deer tags in NV.

I'd hunt the buck tag like it was my only tag. If notched then worry about the cow elk. Cow elk tags, overall, are much easier to get than buck deer tags in NV.

The archery deer tag he got isn't a hard draw. I'd spend my scouting time figuring out where the elk are. The deer are much more predictable.

Having hunted the Ruby's since the early 80's I would hunt for the buck first and formost. The elk are few and far between in 101-103. We have hunted early archery deer in August and late rifle deer in early November and have yet to see an actual elk on the mountain. I have seen some scattered droppings. Last year there were only 12 cows taken during your hunt. If you want to hunt for the cow first I would look in those giant draws full of quakies on the east side of the mountain.

Thank you all for the tips!

All of the above comments seem to confirm my suspicions were correct, and that is to hunt the Buck. I would love to have more time to run up and down the whole area from 101 to 103, but I will make the best of it, and hunt hard for the time I do have. Looks to be a lot of glassing, and trailing. The winds swirl up there pretty good, and getting the jump on a smart buck is going to be a challenge. I have decent came, but the scent control after day 2-3 may wind up being the hardest part...

Gr8bawana, I also have seen droppings, but nowhere near what anyone would call a herd. This must be the reason they are calling it a depredation hunt. Taking a cow would be very nice to achieve a hard stalk, and also to fill the freezer, but it seems getting to just see one during my time up there might be slim...

Good luck to you all this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back