Elk and Deer in Oak Brush

Hello everyone. I have hunted in a unit that is full of elk for 2 years. The problem is that there is so much oak brush that it is really hard to get an elk. Any advice for hunting in oak brush? I am going to do an archery elk hunt this year. I am planning to go in August so that the elk are not call shy so any advice would be great. I also applied for a deer tag for archery so any tips for elk and deer in oak brush would be very helpful.

I hate that oak brush and so do my clothes. Animals like it a lot though

You gotta catch animals on the edges of it or you're going to have a tough time

You might want to find out how the mast crop is. On a good year I would think the animals would really be hitting them once the acorns start falling.

Worst thing to hunt outside of a blacktail bramble thicket if you ask me. But then that's where they hide & bed at times. Edges.

They love that stuff. Set up high and above travel corridors through it. Look for opening to take a shot. Make sure you mark where the animal was shot before you get turned around in there.

If you have an opportunity, try glassing into it fro. An opposing hillside. You may be able to see some openings. Tough hunting, but agree they live there at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back