Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eating pronghorn

I'll use deer or even elk for sausage way before I use pronghorn. Other than bison, it's the top of the Fave List at our house.

I actually had a friend make a game pole for me that goes into my receiver hitch to skin antelope right away. We cut them into quarters and right into a cooler with block ice to get it cooled down. I've heard that if a buck runs don't shoot it, he won't taste good. If you get the hide off right away it is no issue.
These are handy as all get out! I have one that is WAY over built. My neighbor and I are going to make one this winter out of aluminum that will break down and fit in a small duffle.

I mix all of my meats together for burger at the end of the year. Antelope, elk, deer, lamb, and a hog I get from a friend of mine. It comes out amazing!! I do it in 20 pound batches because that's how big my mixer is. I usually do 16 pounds of meat to 4 pounds of pork. For sausages I do breakfast, maple breakfast, chorizo, and Italian. I'm going to make brats and summer sausages this year since I still have all of last year's meat to grind added to this year's.

I do the same thing... I even added DUCK, and wild pig to the deer and other critters. AWESOME!

I mix all of my meats together for burger at the end of the year. Antelope, elk, deer, lamb, and a hog I get from a friend of mine. It comes out amazing!! I do it in 20 pound batches because that's how big my mixer is. I usually do 16 pounds of meat to 4 pounds of pork. For sausages I do breakfast, maple breakfast, chorizo, and Italian. I'm going to make brats and summer sausages this year since I still have all of last year's meat to grind added to this year's.

We cut steaks from everything and leave scraps for sausage. If taken care of after the shot the meat is excellent. The biggest issue is if they have been running before the shot, lactic acid buildup can affect the taste of the meat. Chicken fried antelope, and all other game is excellent. We"ll have fresh steaks this week as spouse got a nice buck, strap steaks and the rest will hang. Good meat hanging weather coming in this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back